“My must stop when in town! Its that good!!”

Babe's Chicken Dinner House
Ranked #1 of 68 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Have you ever told your family what you’d do different if you opened a restaurant? Well, that’s exactly why we opened Babe’s Chicken Dinner House. We wanted a sit-down restaurant where people really feel at home. Where your neighbors wait on you and your whole family.
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been going to Babe's chicken house for years every time I am in town for the race. A friend of mine took me here and I have been hooked every since. Growing up in the mountains of Tennessee there is nothing better than family style fixings with fried chicken or chicken fried steak. I have been to Babe's probably a dozen times and never had a bad experience. In fact it would be hard for me to pick one item that I like the best to eat. It is all that good. The best thing I like about the restaurant is that you can byob for choice of beverage. They will even bring you a bucket of ice!! Make sure you come hungry so you will leave happy, happy, happy!!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

The food and atmosphere was very good.I was just very surprised that the meal would consist of instant potatoes.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We heard of this restaurant while listening to the NASCAR race on our scanner. Since we are from Michigan and made the trip to TX for the race, we thought we'd give it a try after the race. There was quite a line so we thought it must be good. We didn't have to wait long. When the waitress came to our table, she took our drink order and asked us "chicken or steak"? We learned we had two choices...either chicken or chicken fried steak. We both chose chicken. When our food was served, it was served TX style...BIG!!!! A platter of chicken (one full chicken), mashed potatoes, creamed corn, gravy, and biscuits...all served family style. It was a lot of food for two people. If we were in that area again, we might go there, but since Roanoke is known as the "Dining Capital of Texas" there were many more restaurants to choose from, which we would try others first.

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My family raved about this place the one time they went. I didn't find it as great as they said.The portions were pretty amazing and the chicken fried steak was good. But, I didn't like the coating on the chicken. Way to heavy and overcooked. The staff were reasonably friendly as the place was packed. Overall it is a place to go if your passing through.

1  Thank Moonietx
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Now I've had chicken fried steak, so if that HAD been on my gastronomic bucket list (it wasn't), I could cross it off. The 50 percent of their menu offering that I chose ( the chicken fried steak) was greasy and tough and bland tasting, but maybe that's the qualities a good chicken fried steak is supposed to have. On the plus side: attentive, capable wait staff (who gathered 'round to sing to our birthday-celebrating friend), good biscuits, no waiting on a Thursday night. On the down side: over priced, no beer (bring your own), the bland, greasy food. Skip it and go down the street for Tex-Mex.

1  Thank Marteaux

Been to Babe's Chicken Dinner House? Share your experiences!