“Shocking!”
Review of Mi Familia - CLOSED

Mi Familia
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My husband and I plus another couple and a friend went to mi fam to tonight for dinner and drinks. As we were dining we were approached by one of the managers and asked if we would move to the bar area so they could accommodate a large party. The manager offered us a round of drinks and a round of shots for our inconvenience. Once we moved to the bar area we were asked for our shot order. After we recd that the manager came over to us and told us that her general manager would not allow us to have the free round of drinks. We asked to speak to him (his name is Walter btw) and he never came to our table. I approached him and he angrily stated that he's "the GM and has the right to say no". I went on to say "hey look we didn't ask for anything free we were offered and as a manager you should uphold what was promised". He continued to argue with me and tell me he didn't have to do anything he didn't want to do. I was completely shocked and told him that if he was angry about the situation he should take it out on his manager not me the paying customer. We argued back and forth and he ultimately stated he needed to finish taking care of the big party and would be at my table in a minute. He approached our table and once again angrily asked "what we wanted". My husband and our friend explained that we didn't want anything but what we were promised. Walter remained angry and confrontational and we ultimately stated nevermind we don't want to be treated this way. He told us he didn't need or want our business and we gathered our things to leave. As we were leaving I told the table behind us what happened. Walter approached me and told me to quit talking to his customers. I told him no I can let these people know how poorly we've been treated. He proceeded to announce to the bar not "to listen to her she's on welfare". I was in complete and utter shock. What kind of manager states that? To a room full of customers? It was unreal. I couldn't even comprehend that. He followed us outside and stated "I'm not some punk [--] kid I'm a grown [--] man and don't need y'all coming in my restaurant asking for free [--]." He used the f word multiple times along with gd. It was appalling and there were patrons on the patio as well that witnessed the whole thing. I called the corporate office and was told that "Walter is a Christian man and would never say that". I was also told that its illegal to give away free alcohol. I told her "well y'all broke the law bc Walter approved the free shots". Stay far far away from this place!

1  Thank mdchat

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is Texas, so expectations run high when it comes to Mexican food. The food was just average Mexican food. It wasn't bad, but nothing spectacular that would make me go back...especially with Avacodos and Taco, just down the street.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Sadly, this used to be my favorite restaurant. Not so long ago, my husband and I would meet his brother and his wife here a couple of times a month as it is the half-way point between our homes. The food was always good, hot, fresh, and the service was friendly. However, the last three times we have been here, it was not good at all. The food was greasy, lukewarm at best, and service took forever. The only thing that was still good were the margaritas, which are awesome. I don’t know if they have new management, or if they simply are not trying as hard. I will still visit for the margaritas, but I’ll eat elsewhere first.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

service was fast, food was average. We won't come here again. There were many better restaurants to eat at and we feel like we wasted one of our meals here.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I don't know why anyone would give this place a bad review. Coming from southern CA, where Mexican restaurants are abundant and I am a Mexican food lover, I found this place to be a winner. They have good margaritas if that is your thing. Great fresh ice tea and soda too. Maybe I don't have any bad reviews, because I order the good items. You cannot go wrong with the Carnitas platter, fajitas or enchiladas. I have Celiac disease and it's one of the best places I can go to get a wheat-free meal if I get the carnitas with corn tortillas, chips and salsa. If you are looking for a quiet date spot, this is not it, since they have a bar set up with sports playing and a dining room with lots of families and large parties. If you want to take your kids out and not worry about them causing a scene, this place is it. My husband was pretty picky and prior to this restaurant preferred not to eat Mexican, but now, he loves this place. The staff is nice too. The manager Walter (I think that is his name) walks around and introduces himself and if something looks wrong he runs over to personally fix it. Great place.