“Love this place - great BBQ!”

Reno Red's Frontier Cooking
Ranked #3 of 67 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: American
Description: Just who is Reno Red? Look out the windows and gaze back into the time of the great cattle drives of the Old West. The Chisholm Trail was not far from right here. Among those hard working cowboys along the trail that carried half of all the cattle in Texas, was the great chuck wagon master, Reno Red. Cowboys knew when they saw his chuck wagon it meant there was going to be some good eatin' and tales to tell. For most cowboys the chuck wagon was truly their home on the range. And if the chuck wagon was their home, the cook was their king. Because the morale of the men and the smooth functioning of the camp depended on him, the cook's authority was unquestioned. Reno Red is our "Chuck Wagon Master" and the inspiration for our decor and our menu recipes. We have many of Reno's favorite original recipes. And just like Reno, we cook our food on an open mesquite grill for that true frontier cooking experience. Time has come for the tales of Reno Red to be told. We want our customers to know who that cowboy is in our logo. More tales to come . . .
Oro Valley, Arizona
“Love this place - great BBQ!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our second visit to Roanoke, and we just had to go back to Reno Red's to appease my husband's desire for BBQ. Took our daughter and her friends (who are locals). My husband and I both ordered the 3-meat platter (we got sausage, ribs and chicken), which includes 2 sides. We both ordered cole slaw, which was quite tasty. I ordered sweet potato fries...they were wonderful! The only thing left on our plates were bones, and our only regret was that we didn't have room for dessert. Our server was friendly and attentive, and the mason jar drinks are a nice touch. The price for our meal was very reasonable, compared to what we have paid at other restaurants for similar plates (which weren't nearly as good). We'll be back next time we are in Roanoke.

• Visited April 2013

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
“DIRTY!!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place is nasty.. If you walk in and look up at the walls, lights, decor.. filled with cobwebs and dirt.. I don't think this place has been cleaned in years.. I have even seen a mouse in the bathroom!

Visited August 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Om nom nom!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've eaten here for lunch and dinner in the same day. I only wish they were open for breakfast. Fantastic value for the money, fantastic barbecue. Nice beer selection, neat decor. Wish they had more outdoor seating, but this place is so good, i really don't care where they serve me the food!

• Visited February 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
“Best BBQ I've had in Texas. Or anywhere.”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I absolutely loved the food here! I've been back several times, and was never disappointed. The atmosphere is great, the service is friendly, and the food is to die for! They have an appetizer that's something along the lines of bacon-wrapped-chicken-with-jalapenos that's way better than a similar option at other bbq places. The brisket is outstanding. Drinks come served in an enormous mason jar (nice touch).

I'm not sure what the previous reviewer's problem was, but I've always had a good time. Babes is the place that made me sick, personally. If you want a gallon of grease and lard, go there. If you want tasty bbq, go to the Prairie House.

• Visited December 2012
Lewisville, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Country atmosphere, terrible food.”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place has a cute country atmosphere going for it. But that is about it. We had a party of 8 and not one person like the food they were served. My daughter was sick throwing up the whole next day after eating here. Do yourself a favor and go next door to Jack's or over to Babe's Chicken.

• Visited July 2012