“Absolutely terrible!!!”

Hard Eight BBQ
Ranked #4 of 90 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 21, 2020

My fiancée and I went there last night. It was my third time and her second. I do consider myself quite a connoisseur of Texas barbecue. I have tried it all over this great state. I make it a point to find barbecue throughout my travels. I read reviews and judge for myself. I rarely write a negative review, but this is warranted! I usually try most everything that a barbecue restaurant/joint has to offer. I must say, without exception, nothing that I tried was worth the wait, the drive, or the price! That will definitely be the last time that I will ever eat at a Hard 8!!!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (551)

Reviewed December 26, 2019

If you leave here hungry it's your own fault. They serve many of the same meats as other typical BBQ places but the options for sides is the best. Sampled the sweet potato fries. The serving was enough for 2 - 4 to share, freshly prepared, & tasty too. The cream cheese corn was good & so was the potato salad. Pintos were great...beware the bits of jalapeno if you're a sissy. Our entire party chose the sliced brisket sandwich this trip but I would bet anything they served would be delicious. My only complaint was the doors were open on one end & it was a bit nippy in one area so bring a jacket if it's cold outside.

Reviewed December 1, 2019

Based on the many (and I mean MANY) recommendations I received from others about this place, I had super high expectations for how good my meal would be. I arrived about an hour before they closed on a Thursday night and ordered the ribs with a baked sweet potato as my side. Given that the potato was plucked straight from the pit, I was surprised that it was cold. The ribs were just OK, not as phenomenal as previously described. Not sure if it was just an off night or what. I'll give them another try when I'm in the area in hopes that it will go better than the 1st experience.

Reviewed December 1, 2019

We have gone here for at least 2 family birthday dinners a year for 3 years (each family member gets to pick the place we go) and have always really enjoyed the facility and food. This time, we came early, around 5:30 pm. They only had 2 ribs. The birthday boy who picked the place this time got those but had waited with expectations that included a 1/2 rack. They told us that it would be an hour or more. Then another guy said they were going to take the ribs off the rotisserie and put them on the open grill and may have them sooner. We all passed on that. Then I ordered the pulled pork. It was excessively fatty with a greasy glow to it. Passed on eating that but luckily/unluckily I had chosen 3 chicken poppers and 3 shrimp poppers. These turned out to be ice cold and 'stuck together' pulling them apart to eat them. Ate two of 6 and left the rest. Luckily they give away free beans. I was able to have dinner with those.
I described this as Disappointed and we were. We have always looked forward to eating here, but all are looking for a BBQ replacement after this meal.

Reviewed November 19, 2019 via mobile

The idea is great but our food was cold by the time we got to our seats. The sausage wasn’t very good and I left half uneaten. The pulled pork didn’t have a robust taste at all. The beans were the only thing that was warm. I won’t be returning.

Date of visit: November 2019

Been to Hard Eight BBQ? Share your experiences!