“Sides could have been better.”
Review of Hard Eight BBQ

Hard Eight BBQ
Ranked #2 of 66 Restaurants in Roanoke
Cuisines: Barbecue
Merrill
“Sides could have been better.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I know that people must go here for the meat, which was good. However, the sides that went with it were terrible. They need to add some corn bread. The potato salad was interesting and coleslaw had too much vinegar. I did like the cherry cobbler and the BBQ sauce.

Visited January 2013

Fort Worth, Texas
“Love it!! But a tad pricey”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a genuine tray line style Texas pit bbq joint. The food is just so tasty. My favorites are the brisket and spicy sausage, though my friends and wife prefer the bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-stuff-chicken. Everything is great. The spicy bbq sauce is a bit on the vinegary side, so if you like hot sauce, you'll love this. Otherwise, stick with the regular stuff. The sides are all pricey, but very good.

Overall, a great place to visit when you've got a 'hankerin' for some real pit bbq

• Visited November 2012
Lewisville, Texas
“No Frills BBQ for the Meat Lovers”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This place has been pegged as a no frill BBQ joint, and it pretty much is that. When you walk in the door, there is a very small menu that is pretty much only meats and a couple of sides. All meat here is sold by the pound except the chicken, which is sold by the half. The other exception ofthe by the pound rule is the steak, which the gentlemen in front me ordered and looked to be very good. The steak was unfrozen, pulled from a cooler, and placed on open cast iron grill. The fire was made from coals from the big pit in the back. The steak was also seasoned in front of the man ordering as well, which was a bonus.

All this reminded me that I will have to come back and get the steak, as I had my heart set on BBQ. The line takes you to the pit, where they have all of the meats cooking on display. You tell them what you want by the pound, and any of the hot sides you get here as well. Then you given your meat and a number and moved inside, past all of the cold sides and drinks, where you finally had over your ticket to the cashier, who will ring up your order along with the sides on the tray. A bit of a cumbersome process, but once you understand it, its pretty easy to navigate.

From there, you choose a seat either inside or on the patio. As it was a little chilly the day I visited, I opted for inside. Then I went up the bar to get a beer, which doesn't seem to happen too often as the bar also serves as the to-go order pick up spot. So I had to wait in line for the to-go orders to be picked up before I could order my beer. There isn't much of a selection, but did have Shiner on tap, so I went with that. Finally, I was able to sit down and eat/

I ordered a pound of ribs and roasted corn on the cob and was not disappointed. The ribs fell right off the bone and were seasoned very well, which is good because the sauces on the table really weren't anything special. Not good, not bad, but not memorable either. The roasted corn was great. My wife got the loaded baked potato topped with brisket, and few bites I was able to get were great. Both of us cleaned our plates.

Overall, I found the meat really good, and the roasted corn I will get again. I will be coming back for the steak. If you are the area, this is a good joint to check out.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Marc M
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great BBQ”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is not your Daddy's b-b-que. The food is great and they're always busy. A little different as it's buffet line style where they weigh the meat. Check your eyes at the door because they get paid the same if you eat all the meat you ask for or not. Of course, you can always take home the left overs. Just difficult if you're visiting unless your hotel has a refrigerator. I didn't quite get the total hang of it, I guess, because I'm still not sure if they have servers to refill your drinks. You see all kinds of employees running around left and right. But both times I went there, none of them seemed to have been assigned to my table.

• Visited November 2012
Lewisville, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't waste your money!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place has the worst BBQ I have ever had in my 25 years of eating Texas BBQ. To make it worse it was also the most expensive. We had ribs, brisket, chicken with various sides. All the meat was dried out and tasteless except for the rib. Sides were terrible. Even the drinks were terrible.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Hard Eight BBQ? Share your experiences!