“Authenic food”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I grew up in south Louisiana and really like this food and decor. I enjoyed the dinner, appetizers and desserts.

1  Thank Barb D
There are newer reviews for Bayou Jacks Cajun Grill

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Good food and atmosphere. For starter, we ordered "dirty balls and the crab cakes." Both were outstanding. Will be ordering these again.

As an entree, we ordered the fried seafood sampler with a side of jambalaya and it was good. The osyters and clams could of been fried less for better taste. As for the jambalaya, it was really good. It had perfect creaminess and spiciness. Sweet tea was good. And service was alright.

The restaurant seemed so loud. It was busy and there is little to no room for waiting on a table.

I will definitely be coming back.

1  Thank Holey22
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

You won't find this gem unless you're looking for it. It is tucked behind the Chuy's on 7th Street. The food is ambitious and the staff attentive. New Orleans in Cowtown. I have been four times to this newly opened location, and by the time you read this I will have been back again.

1  Thank Chuck N
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Get the Shrimp Grits!! I promise you won't be disappointed. Don't let the name fool you, there are no Grits involved. Think savory cheesy sauce over grilled shrimp, sausage, and cornbread. Fantastic!

1  Thank MarisaCM76
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Well we were in the mood for cajun, but didnt want to spend pappadaeux kind of money, so we decided to try Bayou Jacks in Roanoke TX. Not far from the house, which was awsome.

I can NOT BELIEVE i have not been here before. I was worried because the place was empty...but it was 330 pm so i'm hoping its a fluke.

Ok, first funny enough, i asked the waitress what a BOX CAR WILLY was. She said they had jello shots, every time a train passed by (right in front of the restaurant) you get a jello shot for a dollar. I couldnt wait to hear the whistle! I ordered a margarita which came in a mason jar for 5.00 for happy hour, it was pretty strong, very good.

We started with DIRTY BALLS (yes you heard right) basically boudin balls with sausage and rice and cheese, sitting on a plate of marinara (which was odd i thought, but actually very tasty). The sauce on top was delicious and not too spicy, which i appreciated. My husband ordered the MENAGE A 3 which was beans and rice, gumbo, and crawfish ettouffee, he also ordered MEAT PIES...which i thought was a huge amount of food lol, but whatever. I ordered the crazy cajun platter which i knew was too much food, and ordered a togo container with it.

I thought the idea of meat pies gross, but when they came out covered in a lovely sauce and crispy as all get out, i had to try it, DELICIOUS! He immediatly ate every bite, there were 2 very large pies (resembling a turn over or empanada) with really good meat filling, hamburger and perhaps sausage filling (i only took one bite) and a ball of rice. He was too full to eat his menage a 3 so he took that home for a later dinner, which he stated was DELICIOUS at 9pm that night.

My platter had a large amount of fresh fried shrimp, 5 fried oysters and 2 large pieces of cat fish. I asked for the fish very crispy and the oysters crispy but not burned up. Everything was perfect. Every bit as good as the 25.00 platter at pappadeaux but for half the price. The coleslaw was spicy and yummy, and great hushpuppies.

We ordered the Monday special of the day which was TILAPIA with some tomatoes etc on top. I asked her if we could get the tilapia lightly (very) blackened with the lemon butter sauce instead, fries and dirty rice (this was a TO GO ORDER) for our son. No problem, 11 bucks of yummy! This fish was large, perfectly cooked and the sauce was on the side instead of spreading all over everything else in the box. Carefully packaged and delicious.

THEN THE TRAIN CAME BY!!!! BOX CAR WILLY TIME! She brought me a fairly large jello shot, actually the same size as a togo cocktail sauce..and said it was made with everclear...wowzer was that baby STRONG! Worth every bit 4.00 plus some change lol, that with my margarita was plenty of booze, however had another train come rolling by...i'd have partaken again.

As we were finishing my foodie husband states 'I HAVE JUST FOUND MY NEW FAVORITE PLACE TO EAT"

I have to agree 100%.

If you are in the area, please stop by. I spoke to the waitress and she was very sweet and stated that Jack strives to only by fresh foods, everything is hand prepared, and fresh seafood is delivered 3 times per week so its not pre breaded and frozen.

She recommended shrimp grits and swears she hates grits but stated it was the best thing she has ever eaten. Its on my to do list for next visit, which will be next week!

I need to check that train schedule! Photos to follow later (yummy)

all in all for bascially 2 appitizers, 3 entree's, 2 margaritas, 1 ice tea and a jello shot our bill was 65.00. Great food GREAT PRICES (we could have feed a family of 4 easily)

4  Thank libbyswin

Been to Bayou Jacks Cajun Grill? Share your experiences!