“Been staying here a long time but probably won't again”

Holiday Inn Dallas-Richardson
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Richardson
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has gone down in everything. Rooms are not as clean as they were; bar service is just basic - no enthusiasm. There are some stalwart employees who try (Betsy) but even the employees seem flat. I am disappointed as this was my favorite hotel on that area.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank georgeinputnam
RamadaParis_texas, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dallas-Richardson, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns regarding your current stay with Holiday Inn Select Dallas-Richardson, TX. We apologize for any inconvenience you are experiencing with your stay.
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had at the hotel.

We hope you can give us another chance to serve you better.
Hotel management team.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is my first negative review on this site. I'm currently at a two-night stay at the hotel. When I checked in, the lobby was impressive. The rooms were not. My first room had a weird smell. The desk gave me a new room, but they coded my room key wrong. Frank confirmed the error and re-coded my room key to access the new room correctly. The new room was better, but still had an odd aroma. I have more time left here, and I find myself wishing that I was at the nearby DoubleTree or elsewhere.

Room Tip: Aim for a room on the lower floors, where the smell seems to be less noticeable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
RamadaParis_texas, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dallas-Richardson, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

We are sorry for the inconvenience; your comments will be address with the management team; we hope that you’ll give us a second chance.

From the Holiday Inn Richardson team: we appreciate your business.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Arrived to find out we had no reservation, the confirmation number was wrong/not enough digits. (I called directly to the hotel to make our reservation). The ice machine on the 4th floor did not work. The hotel was having air troubles...very little cool air in lobby & hallway floors. Decor not bad. No luggage carts to use when checking out. Breakfast food was great. Bathroom area is too small, TV outdated. Received no response from Holiday Inn online customer service on recommendations.

Room Tip: Call ahead to verify reservation this might be a problem with this particular location.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dallas-Richardson, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear FtwTXJalapeno,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad you found the breakfast great. I apologize you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the issues you had with your reservations as well our amenities and the service you received. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The rooms were lovely, beds very comfortable, but the rooms were mighty small! When we checked in, the hotel seemed to be quite empty, which made for a quiet environment. The small rooms would be my only complaint. I thought the decor in the hotel was nice too.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda C
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We Pricelined a room for 2 nights. When we got there, they only had us booked for one night, and told us we would have to check back in the morning. Fine, OK, but I'd planned on sleeping late.

We asked if they had an indoor or outdoor pool at the front desk after checking in because we wanted to swim the next day. They had to think on it. The answer is both, but the outdoor one is small.

So I set the alarm and called the front desk the next morning. The lady was very short with me as I tried to explain the situation. Half-asleep, I tried to figure out what she was telling me on how they would bill me for the 2nd night. Not friendly at all, even though I tried to be nice and I'm not a morning person.

Coming back to the hotel for the 2nd night, we are tired and get to our room. Well our key doesn't work, probably due to the front desk lady messing something up that morning. So I have to go back to the front desk and get it reset.

The room was clean and OK though. Nothing special. Not much parking for the number of guests, unless you want to park in the back where it's darker.

I'm usually not too picky, but I wouldn't stay here again if I had a choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2012

During my recent stay it struck me that the hotel business must be incredibly tough. As I was nitpicking a few things in my mind I realized that the only issues I had is everything in the room was bland and "standard". Nothing was particularly worn and indeed not much had changed since my last visit in April 2011. How does one make a room sturdy, work friendly, comfortable, easy to clean AND stylish? It has to be a tough job.

This the title of my review. You shouldn't check-in expecting to be wow'd by anything at the hotel. You should expect to feel comfortable in a clean room with functional equipment and furnishings. This hotel provides all of those with a slightly less than stellar approach to customer interactions.

My one line review, aside from the title would be: If you get the right price and enjoy consistency, this is the hotel for you.

Breakfast on the other hand was a different story. Unless your rate comes with breakfast I highly encourage you to seek nourishment off-site. The included breakfast is a standard buffet of "scrambled" eggs, breakfast meats changing by day, a daily feature, fruit, breads, cereals and danish. There is a "cooked to order" egg station that is hit or miss as the cook is also responsible for the back of house preparation of foods for the buffet.

This lead me to waiting a good 5 minutes one day for the chef to start cooking my eventually overcooked omelette while I grabbed french toast which carbon dating would say predated man. The reason is that no one was in the kitchen making fresh food while he was out front. If you see a bunch of people in the egg line you can expect the rest of the buffet will be a bit dated. If you see a fresh buffet you will be waiting for your personal chef to begin your request.

Overall this wasn't a bad stay. I can't even say it was lackluster. The rooms are well kept and clean, just bland. Probably perfect for the average business traveler.

Room Tip: The rooms are all pretty cookie cutter so I doubt there's much to be done to find a "good r...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Myself and four children had to check into a hotel because the power went out in our neighborhood. When we got to the hotel they told me that this room type didn't exist for this reservation. They offered to put us is in two king suites right next to each other with a joining doors.  the rooms were very small, not with adjoining doors, soy children had to sleep in separate rooms. We waited 30 minutes before being checked in. I had to pay separate for breakfast, which the websites said was included. Bad experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com