“Hamburger night”

Haystack Burgers & Barley
Ranked #2 of 461 Restaurants in Richardson
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 18, 2016 via mobile

We travel around the DFW metroplex trying out different burgers monthly with a group of friends. We visited Haystack Saturday night. Staff super friendly and food was excellent. Will definitely go back!!

Reviewed July 11, 2016

In the DFW area is a chain of restaurants called Twisted Root that everyone seems to want you to visit at least once. And yes, they're great. But this little gem is just as good (better?) and not nearly as packed or quite as overrated. Give it a try!

Juicy, thick patties, haystack fried onions, great pre-made menu flavors or order your own. Modern/casual setting. Good for a quick lunch or laid back dinner.

It can be loud at lunch, so friendly and low-key meetings are okay, but not a good place for a serious business meeting.

Reviewed July 6, 2016

This place is good, but not the best I've ever had. I thought the service was great because they explained about each burger like it was a masterpiece and helped us choose. And I like their selection of different burgers and drinks and the portions are HUGE. But taste wise it was average for me. Overall, we'd probably come back because it is right next to the Alamo Draft House and conveniently located.

Reviewed July 5, 2016

My wife, myself and members of my wife's family had lunch here recently.

It was a very busy place where you stood in line, made your order and had a seat waiting for the order the delivered. That part of was pretty normal for placed of this type.

What was good about this place was the overall quality of the food and the ambiance of the dining room. While it was busy, it was not so noisy you could not talk and the people watching was fun.

The burger, onion rings and milkshake I had were great. I would have them again were I to return and I would recommend them to others. Had I looked at the menu more closely, I might have also had some of their homemade 'nana pudding as well, but I missed that one.

Reviewed June 22, 2016

My husband and I loved the burgers at Haystack. They are pretty large, so if you plan to get a side of fries or any other sides you might consider sharing a burger. I had the patty melt burger--awesome! The chipotle mayo was great but FYI much more spicy than I expected. I recommend the Haymaker (aka bourbon slushy) to cool you off. At first the small looked to tiny, so I ordered the reg/large. In the end, I couldn't finish the larger size. It was delicious and strong but a bit sweet to drink a full 16 oz. I suggest starting with the small! Definitely go and enjoy a great burger.
FYI--we didn't see/order kids size, but I understand they do have a smaller burger patty that you can order for kids/seniors (or w/upcharge if you are in between ages).
Some regular booth/tables, but several of the tables are hi-tops with taller stools (some with backs and some without), plus a few outdoor tables.
The restaurant is located right on the highway in a strip mall type group of businesses.