“Dallas's best steak ”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 75/George Bush Turnpike
Description: One of the few independent family-run steakhouses left in America. A place for every occasion in the heart of North Texas. Located just east of N. Central Expwy. (Hwy. 75) on the George Bush Turnpike. Large wrap-around bar area with fireplace surrounded by four 60-inch flat screens | 4 private dining rooms (large and small) | Gorgeous main dining and upstairs mezzanine areas | Covered patio and balcony with fireplace and flatscreen TVs.
Reviewed September 16, 2016 via mobile

Top notch from beginning to end. Our waiter(Troy) was fantastic. Steaks are perfect(this is a Del Frisco restaurant). The owner was there and he gave us free dessert and real gold edged poker chips to take back to our group to come and experience for $10 off. Just as good or better than any Chicago steakhouse !! Ps. The live music and table magician are great as well !!!

Date of visit: September 2016
Write a reviewReviews (290)

Reviewed August 28, 2016

Texas is a bit of a throw-back, but that is not all bad. The dining room is a very large two story space with an open kitchen. There is a bar area with a mezzanine dining area above. There was a live musician and a magician performing as well. On Saturday night the place was packed. We are were having dinner with another couple. All of us are in our mid to late 50's and we brought down the average age by quite a bit. We had 6:45 reservations and joked about eating early. By the time we had finished the place had cleared out.

Upon entering were greeted by the owner Dale Wanstead, one of the founders of Del Frisco's. While Texas has some of the great steaks that Dale is known for, it also has sandwiches, ribs and other lighter fare. My friend and I both had filets and they were as good as anywhere. Included with the steak are two sides, (baked potatoes). Our wives had the beef tips. My wife said hers was a bit gristley and she wished she had ordered a steak. Texas has some mini desserts which are nice. Small and not filling. We shared the strawberries Romanoff and it was good.

Service was great. The waiters look like card dealers in an old west saloon, a bit kitschy but kind of fun.

We will be back. You can get a great steak but you don't have to dress up.

Reviewed August 18, 2016

Ate here this past weekend with two families, including 5 children in total. That's one area I might disagree with TripAdvisor rating is that I wouldn't say this is a place to take children, at least not small ones. This is a nicer establishment, and kids need to be well behaved. Our server was extremely patient in this regard, and never missed a beat when it came to refills for the kids and talking to them. He did a great job with our large dinner party. The musician was fun to watch and waved to our boys, but the restaurant is more upscale than your regular grill or whatever.

Anyway, we started off with drinks for the adults and had the kids meals (verbally told to us, not on the menu) come out early. That was a good idea so we could chat for a bit and the kids weren't bored for too long. I think all 5 got chicken fingers and were very happy.

I had fried shrimp, coleslaw, and Lyonnais potatoes for my entrée and it was great. Large shrimp fried to perfection and the sides were great as well. I think all the adults were happy with their meals (roasted beet salad, steak).

We shared small desserts between families or got vanilla ice cream for the kids. Again very good.

Overall an enjoyable dinner in a neat atmosphere, but for the price I'd leave the kids at home and enjoy with my spouse.

1  Thank brockkm
Reviewed August 17, 2016

Among us, we had the Tenderloin Tips, Delmonico & NY Strip steaks. All were excellent but consensus was that Delmonico was the best. Ordered the NY Strip, my least preferred cut, and Texas delivered. It was the best strip I have ever had. The Tips were excellent and a good choice for those looking for more vegetable and less beef. If looking for a big chunk of meat, pick one of the others. For sides, I'd recommend the Burnt Corn, don't worry - it's not burnt. Staff was attentive but not to the point of being annoying.

Reviewed July 26, 2016 via mobile

Great food and impeccable service! A single musician played several instruments and sang on the stair landing and was very entertaining. The birthday dessert was accompanied by our servers and had a sparkler!

Date of visit: February 2016

Been to Texas? Share your experiences!