“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Richardson
San Diego, California
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I visit Dallas/Richardson area often. I used to stay at the Spring Hill Suites (very nice hotel, highly recommend). The Spring Hill was sold out during my visit, so I booked Renaissance.

It worked out very well. This hotel is an architectural marvel! All rooms are built along the perimeter of the hotel (I think Cedar Rapids Marriott had the same design, but a little smaller), so the center is wide open. With lights, glassy elevators, and lots of decorations, it was gorgeous view!

The hotel has a very relaxing first floor area, with a bar serving food and drinks. Sitting in the area after a day's meeting and having a drink was a very enjoyable moment.

The hotel has a very nice pool and a Jacuzzi. Next to the pool there is a good size work-out gym.

The rooms are nice, good size, and clean. Staff are very friendly.

I did not eat in the restaurant, but I ate in the executive lounge, where food was ok (I wish there were a little more variety).

Overall I enjoyed my stay, and I highly recommend this hotel to you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jack Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I were passing through Dallas and decided to stop off for lunch at the Renaissance Hotel. It is conveniently located on Hwy 75 and very easy to access. This was my third trip to the hotel. The food and wait staff are excellent. They couldn't have been more helpful. The food was as delicious as we remembered! We spent several hours having lunch, shopping in the gift shop, and just relaxing in the dining area before continuing on our trip. Parking was easy and looking forward to our next trip.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in a room this time, but always they have been luxurious and comfortable. Corner...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vmtaylor2000
Chuluota FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Had a two night stay here for business and can say that this location definitely understands customer service. The first day I had to prepare something on one of their public computers, had an issue with the printer and Christopher from the front desk offered to help and even went beyond his routine to offer to save the info on a jump drive that was his personal drive so we could transfer to other computer to print. We had dinner in the restaurant and Chafi helped us with the wine list and then we ordered dinner. Soups were great and we had me small problem with our steak, he immediately took care of it and handled it properly. We normally do not complain but he saw we did not eat it and rectified the situation. The next morning we were in a hurry and tried to check out for the buffet, they noticed we had a coupon for breakfast as I registered for room and breakfast for my husband and I however, we only received one coupon. Nini the restaurant Supervisor came over and helped to resolve and said not to worry she would clear it up for us. We were able to get to our appointment on time thanks to her. Overall very good experience and we will definitely be back, great teamwork!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jacksonville FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel has all you need to accompany your stay in the North Dallas area. The rooms are comfortable with fast wifi ($14.95/nt). The restaurant and bar offered plenty of options. There is a workout facility and the staff is very accommodating. All smiles after my stay in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My last stay at the Richardson Renaissance was two months ago (May 2013). I have also booked rooms here on multiple occasions for out-of-town guests who were traveling for business purposes.

The fantastic service my family and I received from their entire team still lingers so clearly in my mind that I felt compelled to sit down and write this review, believing outstanding service deserves acknowledgement. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in many different countries around the world, in newer, plusher properties and I have encountered excellent service on many occasions, but David, Chris, and Emily at the front desk are in class all by themselves. Extremely helpful! If I were their boss, I would do everything in my power to keep them on my team and to develop them and promote them up the ladder as far as they wanted to go. Kudos to them and to whoever trained them! I have myself overseen as many as 97 employees and I know this level of excellence takes both great team members and great leaders. My hunch is that Kim, the front office manager, has a lot to do with it. Joyce in the concierge lounge was also unusually welcoming and friendly.

My family and I checked into this hotel thinking we would only be there a couple of days, but our stay stretched into three weeks due to construction work delays during the remodel of our home. This property thus became our “home away from home" during that period. By the time we checked out, given the amount of stuff we had gradually brought over from our house, we must have looked like something resembling the Beverly Hillbillies going through their lobby. Like true professionals, they never batted an eye.

Here are some of the things we came to appreciate most about this hotel during our stay:

-Their hot breakfast buffet has all the usual fare for a well run, Marriott affiliated property, but it also includes uncommon and welcome items such as a variety of salted olives, fresh mozzarella with tomato slices, and even smoked salmon in abundance. These are standard on breakfast buffets in many European hotels, but rare in US properties. When you have stayed in as many hotels as I have, it is a very pleasant and welcome surprise to be given options that go beyond the ordinary.

-Their corner suites are wonderful for families. They include a separate bedroom with a king-sized bed and a sitting area that is large enough to accommodate two of their comfortable (!) rollaway beds. A family of four can make it just fine. Each corner suite also includes a refrigerator and a microwave. Please note that the ones directly fronting the freeway are noisier than those facing the beautiful, choreographed fountain.

-Their sizeable, heated indoor pool and a health center.

-Their location immediately adjacent to the DART Rail station. The Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) rail network is the largest of any city in America, featuring clean, modern cars that arrive and depart every 15-20 minutes at the station next to the hotel. Next year, trains will go right into the north terminal of DFW airport. An online timetable is available at: www.dart.org. An adult day pass allowing for unlimited travel anywhere on the network’s trains or buses costs $5.00. Single fare tickets are $1.85. Discounts are available for Senior Citizens, children, students, etc. While there are not many dining options in the immediate, walking vicinity of the hotel, the DART trains which stop next door (Red Line) also stop at Mockingbird station which features several restaurants. My favorite is Café Express (www.cafe-express.com). The Red Line also stops at Park Lane station with easy connections to shuttle busses going to NorthPark Mall. It is the finest in Dallas with over 235 stores and restaurants. (www.northparkcenter.com). Tourists tend to shop at the Galleria, but most locals prefer NorthPark. Eating options at the mall span the gamut from Corner Bakery and La Madeliene to Maggianos and Kona Grill. For excellent, unusual pastries, try the Latin American inspired La Duni (www.laduni.com). The DART Red Line also stops at the downtown West End station where two upscale dining establishments are only a couple of hundred feet away: YO Steakhouse (www.yoranchsteakhouse.com) and the Palm (www.thepalm.com).

-Their location close to Sherril Park, one of the very best municipal golf courses in Dallas.

In sum, because of their truly outstanding staff, our family’s unexpected and extended stay at this property was so positive that I am sure we will return at some point for a “staycation." One caveat – avoid staying at this property in mid-May during the annual City of Richardson Wildflower music festival unless you like the sound of VERY loud music in your room, since a couple of the event’s stages are located right outside…!

Room Tip: Corner suites are fantastic. Rooms facing Central Expressway (US 75) have more road noise, but not s...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Puerto Rico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The good:
The hotel itself is very appealing to the eye. The decorations, central atrium, entrance, and lounge and dining areas are very well kept and inviting. The front desk staff for the most part was welcoming, some were a lot better than others. The cleaning staff seemed friendly. The Galatyn Park Dart station is right next to the hotel and there is a fun fountain that kids can run through right outside the side doors of the hotel. My room and bathroom were spacious and clean. I requested a crib and got a real rolling crib instead of playard, which was a pleasant surprise. The pool area and gym were nice. The gym has a lot of equipment, including free weights and machines.

Minor complaints:
My room didn’t have a miniature refrigerator or microwave. I’ve come to expect those to be standard. The actual price of the hotel will be at least $11 higher a day when you include parking. Valet parking is $16. I can live with paying for parking; however, $12.95 a day for internet access is excessive in my opinion. I use a wireless hot spot but I was staying at this hotel for business for most the trip and the cost of the internet for that week could buy an actual hotspot and a month of service through an internet provider.

Regular complaints:
My first room smelled bad. I got a new room and it also had an odd odor but not as bad as the first. I used an air freshener for the rest of the trip and that solved that problem. I’m not sure if towels are a precious commodity but I had to keep requesting towels. There was also an error on my bill. I was charged two breakfasts meals I didn’t eat ($16 apiece). The front desk handled the issue quickly and painlessly.

Overall, this is a nice hotel but I don’t think I will return. I’ve stayed in nicer hotels that did not nickel and dime me for every single amenity. If you want breakfast and internet and self-park, you are looking at spending $40 extra a day. Also, there are no restaurants or shopping centers within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

For a Renaissance, I was expecting more. Maybe this is a nice hotel for the immediate area, but given the immediate area, that's not saying much.

This is not the hotel's fault, but I have to be upfront about this for anyone else who will eventually be staying there - the location:
The surrounding vicinity is deserted. There's no where to walk to get an easy bite. For some reason there's a performing arts center there, but no restaurants or other attractions (unless you consider a hospital, empty parking garages, oversized office buildings and a lone small apartment complex interesting). Why would a city plan something like that? Usually with performing arts centers there are restaurants and shops that go with it, so it's like a general entertainment area. This was more like a wasteland. If you drive about five minutes south of it, you'll find some random fast-food chains, though. And there is a light rail station just outside the hotel that I would definitely take advantage of if we didn't have cars. It can get you all the way into downtown Dallas.

The hotel itself:
Airy inside, very nice pool and fitness room.

Room itself - just like an economy chain (except worse because most of those chains include internet with the room rate). The nicest thing in there was a complimentary toothpaste. The bed linens weren't anything extra plush or nice, and given the ranking of Renaissance in the Marriott chain that was surprising. The room was actually somewhat tiny (although there are other rooms with balconies that were maybe nicer).

The bathroom had a weird setup, with the towels hung over the toilet which was behind a partition of sorts, so when you wash your hands you have to go back into the toilet area to dry them.

The worse was, we left the room around11:30am and came back at 4pm, and although we had taken the privacy sign off the door, no one had come around to re-make the bed or provide additional toiletries (and we saw the crew working our floor as we left, so it's not like we missed them all together). We were basically ignored. That was probably a fluke, but it bugged me because again, this is supposed to be a nicer chain.

Then there was a restaurant/Starbucks inside the lobby - full of overpriced, tasteless Marriott food. Typical.

Finally, given the wasteland quality of the immediate surroundings, full of empty garages, streets, etc., it was shame to have to still pay $20+ for parking in the garage. (You had to have a permit or something to park in the street for more than 2 hours, though we risked it a few times.)

Overall: Probably fine if you're there on business (working at one of the massive office buildings that were deserted at the time we visited?), but otherwise, kind of a drag.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony. I'm not certain, but maybe it will be a little fancier.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luckieeloo
BDB_09, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Richardson Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hello Luckieeloo, I do apologize to you for the disappointment you encountered with your stay at our Renaissance Hotel. I believe you will be glad to know we are scheduled for a renovation
of our entire lobby level and our guest rooms next year. We just completed the concierge club lounge and have all new bedding coming at the end of this month. In answer to your question regarding the planning our city did, I can answer that for you. The master plan was a massive one for a "lifestyle" environment as we opened in May 2001. The issue came about when the major local employer of 40,000 employees went away and then 9/11 came. The economic impact did change our local landscape. I do know we have had several developers come through recently so I feel good that we will be adding some retail & restaurant options for our guests. Thank you for your feedback. Bill