All reviewsparking garageeisemann centernice hotelthe concierge loungedart railindoor poolnext morningbreakfast buffetcentral expresswayroom raterooms were very cleanshort driveenjoyed my stayvaletemilydallasbusiness
Reviewed May 21, 2008

The modern structure gleams in the distance as you approach from US-75. The spacious, open-air lobby replete with comfortable sitting areas introduces you to the Renaissance Richardson. The glass elevators ascend and descend the 12 floors and banks of plants hang over the railings. All of these touches signal modernity; unfortunately, the rooms hail from the previous Marriott era. Yes, the bedding package is of the new Marriott style, and there are flat screen TVs. But the tired green carpet, plain walls, and beige-colored bathroom lack character. It is if this new hotel transplanted the furniture and decorum of an older Marriott. The location is fine if you have your own transportation, otherwise there are no restaurants within walking distance. Also, if you do have a car, the daily parking fee is $9. The lobby restaurant is good by any restaurant standard if not slightly overpriced. Finally, approximately half of the rooms are adjacent to the bustling US-75, and despite being on the 11th floor, the gentle hum of the freeway was evident and may be distracting to some. The non-freeway rooms should be quieter assuming there are no outdoor events on the plaza.

Reasons to stay: Excellent weekend prices (<$99), good restaurant by any standard; Other considerations: Uninspired rooms, daily parking fee ($9), walk to convention center but not much else

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scl44
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Had a training class in Richardson, Texas and I selected the Renaissance Hotel because of its rating from Trip Advisor. Have not gone wrong yet with the recommendations from Trip Advisor. I went with one other person and we both agreed to the comments below. Since this was more or less a business trip, but for training, my review will be slanted more toward the business person. The pros, which are few are:
1) right next to highway 75 which will than take you to the other major highways in the area. Great location. Right down from Plano which is loaded with resturants, of your choosing, plus a mall for shopping.
2) right next to the light rail system for Dallas. Never used it, but it would come in handy if you needed to get somewhere and did not want to drive.
3) The rooms were clean and the bathrooms were clean. The bathroom was a nice size.
4) The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. No problems with the staff (even though they didn't tell us about all of the resturants which were about 1/2 mile donw highway 75 in Plano, but had us going the other way which did not have as many resturants. Disappointed in that.

That is really all that was good about the hotel.

Now the negatives.

1) Had to pay for parking. They made you feel special since it was at a discount. But, it was $8.00 a day. Hampton Inn down the highway was free.
2) No contintenal breakfast. No free coffee in morning. Nothing free. Again..Hampton Inn and others serve this free.
3) No mini fridge in room. I like the mini fridge so I have a place to put my bottle water in to keep it cool. That was bad.
4) No bathroom fan in bathroom (of course). That is not good if you are sharing the room with someone else.
5) Our room was on the 10th floor, but we still heard the lobby noises from the 1st floor. Also heard the noises from the outside of the building. Good thing we had the rooms on the other side of the highway. I would hate to hear what those rooms sounded like.

As you can tell from my candid reviews, the hotel was fair. Would I stay again. No. I think this hotel caters more to the business world, but if I was on business, I would not stay here, myself. I would try the Richardson or Radisson or even the Hampton Inn.

The rooms also still were using the glass glasses in the bathroom. I will never use those since the news out about how hotels don't really wash these glasses. I would rather have seen plastic glasses in the room. I never used the glasses and it was a drag also.

The only good thing about the hotel is the location to the highway, but the Richardson and Radisson are also right next to the highway. Oh well, next time I will try one of these hotels if I'm in the area. But probably will not.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CANDD58
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Great brand new business hotel. Room was spacious and clean. Housekeeping always did the room to perfection every day. Easy self-parking across the street.

Tip to those driving from the north: coming southbound on the N Central Expy my GPS would tell me to get off at Galatyn Pky, immediately get right back on the N Central Expy northbound, and immediately exit right to E Lookout Dr. Trouble is: the ramp from Galatyn Pky to the N Central Expy northbound puts you in the leftmost lane of the Expy, and you must exit right about 100 feet after you merge on the left, cutting across four lanes of traffic. While that can be done (illegally, but at least safely) at midnight, it is impossible at 5pm. The proper way to get there is to continue straight on the Galatyn Pky to the next intersection, turn left at Performance Dr, left again at Performance Ct, then right at Plaza Blvd to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank CaptainMiles
Reviewed December 24, 2007

Stayed here for the weekend of the Dallas White Rock Marathon. Since I was running in the event I wanted a nice hotel close to DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). Interior of the hotel is very classy and arty. Paid parking is within easy walking distance if you decide to self park. Hotel staff was helpful and attentive to my needs.

Since I did not utilize any of the hotel eating areas I really can't report on what they were like. I did stop by their coffee/Starbucks area one morning for a nice cup of hot coffee. There is also a conceiere and an area where you can gather pamphlets about shopping places, etc. This is where I obtained info on the DART system.

I was able to upgrade to a suite room I think for about $10 more a night. Very spacious clean room with a living area and separate bedroom with door. I was in a corner room that did have a wonderful view south of the hotel. Here was really my only gripe, if you get a room that faces Hwy 75, plan on traffic noise. The first night wasn't easy but for some reason by night two I was more adjusted to it. If I were to stay here again I would refuse a room facing the freeway.

To me, the real bonus of this hotel is how close the DART station is. If you need to travel to downtown Dallas, you just cross a courtyard, buy a $3 day pass and you are set. You can get to various downtown Dallas locations within 30 minutes. I was able to get to the convention center to pick up registration materials for the race and on the second day I took the DART all the way to race. No hassling with parking or driving.

Normally on visits to the Dallas area I stay in Plano but if my wife and I want to do any visiting to downtown Dallas we'll probably stay here because of the DART connection.

Overall, decent hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank hondast1100
Reviewed June 14, 2007

There’s something about new hotels that just can’t be matched by the older hotels, no matter how well the older hotels are maintained. I was absolutely delighted to stay at this new Renaissance hotel in Richardson. The room and bathroom were new and very clean, the toiletries were great, cleaning service was timely, and overall, m stay was very pleasant. I loved the granite countertops in the bathroom! The staff was very friendly and the small kiosks they stood behind helped to make them even more approachable.

My experience at the hotel didn’t start out perfectly, however, and I admit I am very picky when it comes to hotel rooms. It must be quiet overall and private. I was at first placed in a room with adjacent room doors that could open two rooms into an adjoining suite, but when I could distinctly hear the guy in the next room talking, I asked to be moved to another room. The second room faced the freeway which I could hear. The third room was just perfect. The staff was courteous and apologetic for each move and on the final room choice, they put me on hold to find the best room which was a regular room away from the freeway AND the elevators. They apologized, said they want to take a minute to pick the best room for me, and then asked to place me on hold. The final room I was moved to was perfect. It was quiet, large, and didn’t face the freeway. I didn’t mind the extra bed in the room. I liked it so much I decided to extend my stay 2 more days.

I loved the sitting areas on the main floor, and the decor of the open atrium. The rooms are all situated on the perimeter of the building. The pool was very clean with a fresh supply of towels, and the fitness room was very clean with a nice variety of exercise equipment. I’m just sorry I didn’t take photographs of the atrium area on my floor just outside my front door, and of the fitness room (with 2 glass walls facing the pool), and photographs of the pool and whirlpool. All was immaculate.

The Starbucks coffee in the cafe downstairs was a very nice touch. I was able to grab a quick pastry in the morning on my way out and an iced green tea frappucino.

The City of Richardson provides free public wireless Internet access to the public so I was not so worried about whether or not the wireless service provided by the Renaissance was available, like some reviewers have complained about. Besides, I didn't want to pay for wireless Internet access at the Renaissance when I could get it for free. Not a problem for me.

The valet staff was very friendly and promptly had my car ready every morning at the hour I requested. Each night I arrived very late and someone was always on duty in the front lobby area behind a kiosk. I would drop off my rental car keys and they took care of my parking my car each time. To my surprise, on checkout day, they provided me with a map to DFW Airport and an ice-cold bottle of water.

Checkout was a breeze -- they provided me with a statement and after reviewing it for its accuracy, I simply called from my room for approval.

I was very impressed with this hotel and will definitely stay here again. I bought one of the hotel's bears for charity -- another nice touch characteristic about a hotel that is not only first class in everyway, but shows compassion for others.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo