“Missed the mark”

Renaissance Dallas Richardson Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Richardson
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids) traveled to Dallas for a friend's party.
Upon checkin, the staff was very friendly and recommended (for a nominal fee) that we upgrade our room to a suite so would be more comfortable, so we did.

The suite was certainly more spacious than a standard room, however, it was equipped for 2 people. I had to call downstairs at every turn when I realized: there were no pillows or blankets for the pullout couch, there were only 2 glasses in the bathroom to have a glass of water, there were only 2 coffee cups, 1 micro bottle of shampoo etc. I didn't want to have to think about these details, nor did I want to pester the front desk but there was clearly a lack of details when equipping the room.

We left the room the next morning and returned later in the afternoon to find that the room had not been cleaned yet. On our way out that evening, we stopped by the front desk to inform them that the room had not been cleaned and we would be gone for a few more hours, so they would have plenty of time to take care of it. We returned after midnight to find that they had simply put the blankets on the bed and removed (not replaced) the dirty towels...the sheets were still dirty, the 2 glasses that the 4 of us shared the previous night were still there, no additional shampoo, no new paper coffee cups, no dry towels. If it hadn't been after midnight and my boys weren't exhausted, I certainly would have called housekeeping.

The front desk was helpful in arranging a taxi for us. We were on on own to get back to the hotel.

The next morning as we were checking out and about to have breakfast, I told the front desk that I had expected that the room would have been cleaned (it's not like we're were getting a discount on the 2nd night stay, as a matter of fact we were still paying the upgrade for the suite). The response from the front desk was FAR from adequate...I was told that they speak with housekeeping, and that housekeeping would call me directly. We were leaving that day....why would I want to speak with the housekeeping staff ? I certainly would have accepted an apology with an offer to knock something off the room charge, parking fee, bar tab or pay for breakfast or something. But all that was offered was that "housekeeping would call me". Unacceptable!

A few other words of warning: $12 to park the car across the street, quite surprising because it's not in the center of town, there is NOTHING around the hotel but vacant buildings. $12 daily internet access fee....only works in the room, not by the pool.

Other friends (family of 4) were also staying at the hotel. Both mornings we met at the restaurant for buffet breakfasts. It was a fixed price buffet, so the bill was the same for both families, but there was a 20% service charge tacked on each one. Quite a bit more than we would normally leave for a buffet, but since we shared a table and our party was more than 6 people, the gratuity was automatic.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Dallas Richardson Hotel

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights over New Years with my wife and son. Hotel was not very busy, so the front desk clerk upgraded us to a very large suite. Room and the entire hotel was very nicely furnished. Lots of very comfortable seating areas in the lobby. Parking garage was not directly connected to the hotel, so when it rains, as it did while we were there, be prepared to get a little wet walking across the street.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Booked a great rate through Orbitz but learned that we should have scrutinized the fine print. Would have expected to pay for parking in downtown Dallas but not way out in the suburbs. Also were caught off guard by the $12.95 daily charge for internet access. Seriously? Joining hotel's affinity program would not have helped as free wifi is a perk for members who have accumulated a certain level of points.

Hotel was clean, room was good-sized, and we enjoyed the high-quality towels and Aveda bath products. The location close to Central Expressway was convenient for visiting family in Plano. Will look elsewhere next time to avoid hidden charges, though.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

My Grandson committed suicide last May, my Daughter her Husband and the kids thought it would be best to get away for the Holiday so as to not bring up memories of past holidays together with their Son. When they checked in my Daughter mentioned why they were getting away, they just wanted to be together and relax. The hotel management hearing this upgraded the family to a suite, gave them complementary parking and provided the kids with free snacks and candy. Such an act of kindness cannot be ignored; their generosity and kindness helped a Family get through a difficult time. They are a class act they should be recognized for their kindness thank you so very much !!!!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I chose this hotel due to how close it is to my corporate office. Actually getting to the hotel from Highway 75 was a nightmare due to construction, but I don't blame the hotel for that. The front desk person was very pleasant and told me he was putting me in a very quiet room. Turns out room 401 isn't so quiet after all. I got to listen to the elevators going up and down all night long. However, it wasn't annoying enough to pack up all my stuff and move to another room.

The bar was good, but small. The gentleman working in the gift shop was probably the nicest person that I've ever met. I didn't eat any meals at the hotel. $20+ for breakfast...really?
The attached conference center looked impressive and was certainly busy while I was there, but I didn't have the chance to check it out much.

Overall, it was a ho-hum experience.

Room Tip: Definitely don't stay in room 401 or any room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was upgrade on entry to room 809, a suite, which was great until 4am in the morning when I was awoken by an almighty clattering. The same happened the following night so I asked to be moved to another room (1214) and it was much quieter, if no-longer a suite. The rooms are standard fayre at this level and overall the hotel hasn't got very much to mark it out. The gym is pretty good but not exceptional, the pool and sauna are both ok. The executive lounge was probably the most disappointing bit when I compare it with the multitude of other Marriott hotels that I've stayed at. There was the bare minimum of food and the fruit selection at breakfast was frankly derisory.

I'm not saying its a bad hotel or that I wouldn't stay there again, just that its a bit 'meh' rather than the excellence I'm used to from Marriott.

Room Tip: Don't get room 809 and I assume any of the '09' rooms on other floors, the noise was unb...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed 3 nights last week and I LOVE this hotel!Very clean and cozy. All of the employees go the extra mile and make this place great. Everyone was very friendly and accomodating, but I have to mention someone that made our trip really special. Jena is a young lady that brought us room service each day and thanks to her bubbly,out-going personality we felt right at home. She anticipated our need and always interacted with our daughter. By our thrid night, my husband and I were kinda tired of the food here and wanted to go to the mexican resturant place across the street because we heard wonderful reviews but our 3 year old daughter wouldnt have it. She wanted to play with Jena and we ended up ordering again just to see her and tell her bye. My daughter hugged her tightly and said she would miss her and see her again. Its very nice to see someone enjoy their job. Jena is the picture of hospitality and thanks in part to her we have found our go-to Dallas hotel.