“Clean, great service, unique design”

Renaissance Dallas Richardson Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Richardson
Brooklyn, New York
“Clean, great service, unique design”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed staying at the Renaissance. Rooms were clean. The hotel is big, and has a nice sized pool. The design is cool too - the building is empty on the inside, so you can walk up to the railing on every floor and look up and down the entire building. The space is expansive - very cool.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Parking- located across from the hotel in a garage, free of charge. Okay unless the weatarher is bad.

Room-decent size, comfortable beds and very nice Aveda toiletries.

Restaurant- surprisingly good food and service. Very good spicy salads made with quality ingredients.

Good customer service and staff was very pleasant.

Located about 20 mins from the airport.

All in all a nice place to stay but I was annoyed by the $14 daily fee for the Internet. Really?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank divetravler
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed February 25, 2012

It's more than "service" that makes me love the Renaissance Richardson Hotel. I love this hotel because it's as close to being home as I can be. From Adrianna who runs the bar for the past several years to my friend on the evening shift in the concierge, Joyce, Chad at the desk, Emon who takes my wake up calls, up to Bill Bretches, the hotel GM. EVERYONE here makes me feel like I'm a part of the family.

On a recent trip to Richardson I became violently ill in the middle of the night. By morning, I knew that I was not going to be able to get out of my room let alone check out. I called the front desk and spoke with the attendant there explaining that I was ill expecting that they would appreciate my position and allow me a late check out. Little did I know that my call triggered a customer service machine the likes of which I have never experienced before!

Shortly after I hung up with the front desk I received a call from Kim Worth, the hotel Manager, who expressed a concern over my condition. As we were talking, there was a knock at my door. Excusing myself for a moment, I answered the door to find a gentleman who introduced himself as Craig Wurster, the hotel restaurant Manager. On the remote possibility that I may have had a “bad food” experience, Craig came straight to my room after hearing that I was ill. So, here I am with the hotel Restaurant Manager at my door and the Hotel Manager on the phone after speaking with the front desk no more than five minutes prior!

I thanked Kim for her concern and turned my attention to Craig. Craig was very attentive and with me having eaten in the hotel the night before, very interested in what I ordered. After a short discussion, Craig then offered if he could have something that might make my stomach feel better sent up. Ten minutes later I was enjoying a double order of hash browns and a Pepsi!

I ate my meal and feeling a bit better laid down for a rest. No sooner than my head had hit the pillow the phone rang. On the other end was Bill Bretches the hotel GM! Bill had apparently been told of my condition and called to check in (can you believe this?)! He shared with me that in his family there was an old remedy for these kinds of maladies; bitters and soda. Five minutes later, Bill was at my door with bitters and soda in hand and by the way, it works!

As Bill and I chatted he assured me that I need not worry about checking out and that if I was not well enough to travel, they would put me up on their dime. I was fairly stunned when he told me that he would also be happy to take care of any airline charges that I might experience should I need to rebook my flight!

“So what’s next?”, I’m thinking as I lay back down. The BMW and all expense paid trip to Cabo? Well, no. However, with the care and attention of the staff at the Renaissance Richardson, I did make my 5PM flight back to San Francisco.

By now you’re probably ready for the conclusion to my adventure where I tell you how incredible and unbelievable my travel experience was on this trip. No such luck!

Bill stayed in touch with me the week after I got back to San Francisco. After exchanging a couple of e-mails I told him that my company had moved away from using the Renaissance Richardson and that it would be great if we could do something about that. Bill ensured me that he would personally look into it. Inside of a month of my trip and Bill’s promise to see what could be done about reinstating the Renaissance Richardson as a preferred hotel for my company I received an e-mail from Dawn Patterson, Sales Manager for the hotel with a message, “I am happy to report that the Renaissance Dallas Richardson now offers a discounted XYZ Company rate for a standard room. We are visible through your travel agency and booking tool.” Immediately following the message from Dawn, I received an e-mail from Bill. All it said was, “Warren, VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a Great Week, Bill”… I about fell out of my chair!

I’m not going to apologize for the length of this letter because this story needs to be told. In 20 years of travel, all over the world, I have NEVER experienced such dedication to customer service as I did on this trip. It’s really cool to know that there are people out there that appreciate that business travel really is not that much fun and are willing to give of themselves when a traveler is in a jam.

I'm a devout Marriott user and there are many wonderful Marriott properties but I can say that this hotel is special - Though I don't travel as much as I used to, I always look forward to my stays in Richardson. Without a doubt, walking in those doors is indeed like coming home.

Room Tip: They are all "good rooms"! The hotel is atrium style (hollow in the center with the rooms...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
BDB_09, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Richardson Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Hello Warren,

Your kind words about our service culure are more than apreciated! Taking care of our guests are always at the top of our priority, especially one who may be in need. I will pass your comments along to the TEAM and I am sure many will be so happy to see that you recognized them. That will make their week! Until we see you again, best wishes & safe travels, Bill
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed 2 nights over a weekend as a short getaway with another family. I was contacted by the hotel prior to arrival for any special requests; Kim the manager promptly replied with a confirmation of the requests and also stating that she was upgrading one room to a suite that connects to the second room. This turned out to be invaluable as we were traveling with two 3 year olds and the could play between all three rooms while the adults lounged in the common room. The rooms were spacious and offered all the amenities as expected. It is pay for parking only so keep that in mind. The first day we went to the indoor pool and it was crowded with obvious birthday parties happening for pre-teen girls.
The second day not another soul at the pool.
As we had driven 3.5 hour, by dinner time we decided to just eat at the onsite restaurant (Maestros), this restaurant is adjacent to the lobby and completely open (not seperated from hotel). We were first directed to the bar by a waitstaff and then told the restaurant required reservations - we were pretty shocked, never heard reservations required for a hotel restaurant that is not a stand alone. So with two very tired 3 year olds and it raining we found a nearby Italian place (Russo's - highly recommend). We decided to make reservations for the following night at the hotel restaurant. Upon arriving at 6pm there was not a waitstaff to be seen and a sign stating see the bar for assistance. Brenda the bartender stated the restaurant is closed Sundays but we could order off the menu in the bar. So we pulled tables together and went with it. The hotel should better advertise the restaurants limitations. And why were reservations even made for us the night before, knowing it was closed?

Anyway Brenda took good care of us and we had a decent meal. All the adults ordered the filet medium and all were cooked well done.

Overall the hotel is very nice, didn't seem busy at all. Had nice gym and indoor pool. Pretty outside water feature the 3 year olds loved watching. It's within walking distance to the DART Gatalyn Station. Only 20 miles to the Allen Outlet shopping center.

One last item maid service didn't come around until 5pm to service the rooms - way to late as we were already getting ready for dinner.

I would recommend this hotel just understand its limitations.

• Stayed February 2012
BDB_09, General Manager at Renaissance Dallas Richardson Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Hello tmstewar2, many thanks to you for writing the review on your stay at our Renaissance Richardson Hotel. So glad Kim took such great care of setting up your rooms for the family, she is a fabulous asset and very good leader who sets the example for "wowing" our guest.
So sorry to see the restaurant staff was not up to the same experience. Can be very frustrating to receive mixed messages and I will need to do additional follow up on the directional signage you referenced. I do hope you and the family will be back and please do not hesitate to reach out to Kim and myself when we may assist in making your reservations. You will not encounter the issues in our restaurant on your return trip. Thank you again and I wish for you and your family a wonderful week! Bill
London
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed here for six days on business ... All in all a nice hotel but a couple of things to be aware of...nthere is a daily charge for the Internet which does not come with other hotels I have stayed in .... Breakfast does not start till six so be prepared if you have early mornings .... A little remote though it is directly on the dart line if you want to venture into Dallas without the car.
Positives: very clean ... Staff are lovely especially Red... Food really good quality .. And there is a nice pool area ...
All in all a pleasant experience

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed in a very nice suite for 30 days. The people were friendly, valet parkers were super and so were room service employees. Maid service was non-existant. Had room cleaned three times and I had to call and ask for it. There are two people in the room that bathe twice a day...and we only got two wash rags. Several calls were made for extra rags and towels. A few times we got a response...but mostly not.
All-in-all it was a good place to stay...but don't expect much in the way of housekeeping...or room service menu. I also had two items disappear.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Wayzata, Minnesota
Reviewed January 15, 2012

this hotel was out of the way,wanted to stay closer to frisco.Poor directions were aailable. Coming in late at nighgt, one person on staff and he could not confirm if breakfast was included, Did not know where ice was.Wanted to get something to eat at 11;00 pm no maps did better with GPS.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business