“Don't, just don't”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Richardson
Mesquite, Texas
“Don't, just don't”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

The staff is not friendly and the hotel rooms are less than satisfactory. I was placed in a room that had been smoked in without the agent even confirming that is what I wanted. The carpet was stained heavily and there is no business center. Again I say, don't just don't.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Candice G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Was provided with 2 double rooms here when staying in town for a high school event; one for teenagers and one for me.
The bad:
Common area: lobby was fine, but the first floor halls smell terrible; like cigarette smoke and fish, and the area near the exit door we used had a trash can that smelled of rotten garbage.

Teen room, first floor double: Smoke detectors were both disconnected and/or stuffed with paper towels. Carpet appeared dirty with black gummy substance in spots. . The room had a musty odor. Obvious grimy spots on walls. Sink did not appear to be clean. Went back to front desk, told by clerk that no other doubles were available, and had to argue with unenthusiastic desk clerk that it was not acceptable to put anyone in a room with non functioning smoke detectors. I came up with the solution to give the kids my room, which appeared better, and give me a room with a king bed. There was no apology from the front desk.

Now for my king room: overpoweringly strong food smell that lasted all night (window was open when I arrived, as someone was trying to air out the room), smoke detector was disconnected, circuit breaker in bathroom tripped every time anything was plugged in, leaving the toilet area and sink area in complete darkness, carpet appeared dirty, and had gummy spots, sink appeared dirty, hairs on bathroom floor. The white bathtub was grey on the bottom and appeared unclean, with much hair, drain area was dirty, bathtub walls did not appear clean; I ended up using the shower in the kids' room. Walls had what appeared to be old food on them in the kitchen area. The sheets were stained under the pillows and had hair on them in the area under the pillows. There was a small roach like bug in the kitchen after the bathroom light breaker was tripped, so I left a light on all night hoping more wouldn't show up. Wallpaper was peeling in bathroom. Fingerprints all over both doors. I asked for another room and was told there were none available, again no apology.

The front desk person at check in: unenthusiastic, unhelpful, never apologized or even pretended to be concerned. The only thing she did for me was to tell me where to go to get another towel when we were short one.

The good: the mattress and pillows appeared in good shape, the a/c worked, there were towels, tp, new bar soap, and kleenex. Fridge and microwave appeared clean. It was relatively quiet in the hallways and I did not hear much noise in the hotel after 10. They have free wi-fi. There is a flat screen TV. The drawers of the dresser appeared clean enough, but I did not put anything in them. They have a free breakfast area in the lobby in the morning but there is no way I would ever eat at this place after seeing how little effort is made to clean the rooms. I never saw anyone who appeared to be a cleaning person during the time that I was there. One staff member attempted to help with the circuit breaker and the disconnected smoke detector.

I guess if you have low standards, or were just desperate, or don't mind rolling the dice that you might get a passable room this would be an OK place to stay. Personally, I had a terrible night and would have left in the middle of it if my teenagers hadn't been settled in. The smell of my room alone made it quite difficult to get comfortable. The lack of working smoke detectors and the hotel desk staff's complete indifference really sealed the deal. I did not pay for these rooms and I cannot say that they were worth it; I would pay for my own room somewhere else if this were the only choice I was offered.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank PantherCityGirl
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

My fiance and I stayed here for 3 nights. Overall the experience was pleasant. The rooms were very accommodating and comfortable and the location is very convenient. I would definitely stay here again. Also, be sure to check online for a promo code. I got $50 off my stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have stayed at some of the best in the world and some of the worst and this is a new low for me.
From 600 thread count sheets over goose down feather beads to foam on concrete and fresh cut flowers to dusty and moldy plastic flowers I have had the privilege to experience it all but when I am trying to save a few bucks for my company I expect at least CLEAN and safe. This place isn't clean by a long shot.

When I checked in, I was denied the Texas Instruments Cooperate I was entitled to as a TI Contractor and Vendor so I was getting a little upset when I checked in but found my travel chi. Then a guy that had checked in ahead of me came back and complained that his room was filthy and made the "friendly" guy at the count go with him to take a look. I got to wait an extra ten minutes while Friendly Guy and the disgruntled customer went to look at the dirty room. After they came back the disgruntled guy was assigned a double bed room for he and his wife because they had no more "clean" kings left. After I got to watch that transaction for another five minutes, I got the key to my prepaid, non-refundable, king accommodation and was on my way.

When I opened the door to my fresh, "clean," room the first thing that hit me was the smell of axel grease but since I had been on the road for 13 hours I figured it was something I brought in from my day's travel. Well, much to my surprise, there where four large, greasy, black hand prints on the walls of the room which made the smell make more sense.

The room was furnished with an arm chair with a crusty white film of who knows what, that freaked me out and then I noticed some of the same residue on the carpet bellow the chair. Someone spilled some kind of creamy white goo on the chair and floor that the housekeepers thought should be left in place along with the handprints, maybe to lend authenticity, for future guests to add to their experience.

After watching how the previous customer was treated by Friendly Guy at the front desk was treated, I figured it was best to suck it up and deal with it. Hell, I can take any thing for 4 nights!

Much to my surprise, I was sharing the room with bed bugs. I have read and seen on TV reports of the increase in bed bug infestations but having not had an issue in over 500 nights in hotels in the last 15 years. This was a new treat in deed!!!

I would have taken pictures if I had not been so disgusted.

When I got home this evening, I took my suitecase out of the car and left it in the drive way so I can fumigate it and it's contents before it comes in the house. For me, a 30 minute shower with lots of soap, hot water, soap, hot water etc., etc..

I will say that I have stayed at this property 4 other times and have put up one of my employees her for 3 month stays twice with no issue but it seems that things have changed at the Extended Stay America on Campbell Road in Richardson, TX.

I will negotiate a corporate rate somewhere else in the area and there are lots of options. This place is off my list until it burns to the ground and is rebuilt as another brand.

Room Tip: Rooms at Courtyard around the conner are a safer bet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank JetGypsy_11
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

After a 14 hour drive from Bloomington IL to this hotel, I was very exhausted. I was traveling alone for job interviews and basketball games. The way I booked the room was in 2 different reservations because I added time to my stay. I get there, and the guy was giving me a bit of attitude about that. I was in no mood for that. So he gave me a room, I get in, theres stains all over the bedsheets... go back to the front, and ask for another room... he initially offered to just send for clean sheets... i then explained the 14+ hour drive. He had no problems giving me a new room, and was friendly after that. My new room was WONDERFUL! It was huge, mostly clean (old but decent) and the bed was comfy! The next day, the day staff,Ms Miriam was awesome! She gave me information on the downtown dallas train system, so I was able to enjoy a day in downtown. Next, Ms Amy was extra helpful giving me information about all the great places to go and all thethings to do! and she was right about everything! Because of Ms Miriam and Ms Amy, I was able to see and do so much more than I could have imagined as they knew so much about the area! Im so glad after the first 25 minutes, my stay was great! I hated to leave and complete the rest of my trip. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank bablock
Richardson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed at the extended stay Richardson on campbell because if the location. It is very convenient for me. Stayed 2nights, couldn't sleep kept feeling itchy and I felt a bump on my elbow, turned on the lights and find BED BUGS! YESSS SAY IT AIN'T SO! I was terrified truly, have bumps and itchy patches on my arm, side, knee, and leg. Don't stay here these creatures can travel and trust me you don't want to bring these disgusting creatures home with you. Im still freaking out..

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank missladyjay9174
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I needed 1 1/2 months of lodging while I was looking for an apartment after moving to Dallas. I wanted to balance quality and price. I did online research and settled on the Extended Stay chain. I chose to pay more for the Campbell Rd location though I could have stayed at other locations for less. The reviews on the others appeared miserable. When I arrived, the hotel's appearance was better than the photos. The amenities were acceptable and comfortable. I often saw the cleaning staff and the common areas were always clean. There were a few nights where there were noise issues, but the staff took care of them when I called. If I stayed only those nights, my review would not be positive. But since I stayed 1 1/2 months, I know those incidents are rare. I saw some furniture/mattresses that were being discarded which leads me to conclude they update furniture when necessary. I didn't feel rushed to find an apartment as I would have felt comfortable extending my stay. If you plan on staying for more than 30 days, it's definitely worth the money!

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs, consider asking for an upper room to avoid noise from above. Also, th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Richardson, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. It is so great to hear that you had a pleasant experience. I am sorry to hear that you experienced some noise issues during your stay; however, I am happy to hear that our staff was able to resolve those issues in a timely manner. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to having you stay with us again.