“Amazing views and trails!”

Caprock Canyons State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Quitaque
More attraction details
Owner description: Ranks the third largest state park in Texas with 13,960 acres.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I drove down from Palo Duro SP to visit Caprock Canyon SP. We missed seeing the bison herd, but we did see one on the way in. The trails are really nice, but not marked very well in the middle areas. Be sure to take lots of water on your hikes. We saw a roadrunner while we were there as well as some prairie dogs. Well worth the trip!

1  Thank Brooke L

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Enjoyed three nights camping at state park..very quiet and not to full. Some trails too steep for biking( moderate my style) but others along rim are very scenic. Rode on rails to trails. Put in at monks crossing and go through clarity tunnel and go at least 5 miles past in beautiful canyons and hills.

1  Thank Jefferson7
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I stopped off at the park to stretch our legs on our way from Houston to Colorado Springs. Unfortunately the park office was closed by the time we arrived, but we did drive around and find a place to walk down to the fishing pier to have a look at the lake. It was quite low but still very tranquil. I would recommend allowing yourself more time than we had available in order to get a real sense of what the park is all about. We did catch a glimpse of a herd of bison grazing far in the distance.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We live in Amarillo, which is approximately an hour and a half away. Although we have been hiking and camping in Palo Duro Canyon state park, THIS setting was a new experience for us. We saw a Bison herd right as we drove into the park! How cool is that? We would love to go back and camp in the Spring or Autumn when it is cooler....The hike didn't last too long because we had our dog and it was extremely hot, but it was still a lovely drive and the canyon is beautiful. We accidentally took the 256 after passing through Silverton, thinking we could enter the park on the north side (not clear on our map), and found out we had to turn south on the 70 at Turkey, TX and then loop around to the 86 until we got to Quitaque. It was a big loop basically, but ended up being a really beautiful drive. The drive up back to Amarillo we took the 86 back toward Tulia and then turned North on the 207 to Claude. If you have the time- take a scenic route!

2  Thank tumbleweed_travels
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Where to begin....I live near Caprock Canyon State Park and I am guilty of taking that beautiful place for granted. Over the past couple of years I have ventured over to the park and with each trip I have come home in awe. The colors of the earth are such a vibrant red, the bison herd that was saved with the efforts of Charles Goodnight and his wife, the wildlife, the plant life, the heritage....so much history if one is interested and how could you not be. Perfect for night photography, very little light pollution so you are able to get great shots of the stars and Milky Way. As the title reads...Magnificent! The landscape is just beautiful and last but not least, the park rangers are the best!

2  Thank Connie B