“Loved the boat ride But”

Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pottsboro
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the boat ride But”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2005

Not worth the money Bad bathrooms Bad water no Internet !

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2005

My buddies and I were looking for a place to stay for our annual fishing trip and it was my turn to find the destination.I did a search on the internet for hotels/resorts in Texas and Tanglewood Resort showed up as one one the results.Not only did they have a hotel but they had timeshare villas.I called to inquire on room rates, accommodations, and availability.The front desk gentleman was very familiar with the area and even gaves me some names of Striper Guides on Lake Texoma in case we decided to use one.I inquired about the villas and I was then directed to speak with a sweet lady named Tina Fox. She is the Director of Owner Services there.She made me feel as if I was coming home. She was eager to help me in any way that she could. Her desire to welcome me even though I did not own a timeshare there set well with me. I reserved the needed room accommodations through her and off we went.Upon arriving, the guys and myself spoke of how a cool place like this was, and couldn't believe we had never been.From the point of check in to check out, everyone and everything was great! The hotel was decorated with this neat Egyptian artwork, the food in the dining room was tasty, and the villa we stayed in was so beautiful! From now on, I will judge all my vacation experiences in comparison to Tanglewood, although it will be tough to top Tanglewood.The customer service I received from the front desk staff and Miss Tina Fox without a doubt makes them a five star resort in my book. It's the way you treat your customers and guest that make you succeed or fail. We not only found a great place to go on our fishing trips but look forward to coming back with our families. So much for kids to do.I am so glad it was my turn to choose and also was the first one to find them.It was like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2005

One of the worst places we have ever stayed - think twice before wasting $275/night on a room here!!!!

Stayed October 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2005

WOW! I can't believe the post that was just before mine. My experience was exactly the oposite. We live about 70 miles from Tanglewood and were looking for a place that was quite, relaxing and would have plenty for the kids to do. That was just what we got at Tanglewood. We actually bought the timeshare about 2 weeks before our stay over Memorial Day weekend. After we bought the timeshare I searched the internet and saw the prior post. I have to say that my heart sank and I thought that we had really made a big mistake. Since I have spent my entire career in the Customer Service field I remembered that you can have a 1,000 customers who are delighted and 1 that is not satisfied but you usually only hear the bad reports so I decided to go with my first instinct and I am very glad that I did. I went with my husband our 4 year old son, our 10 year old son and we invited my sister in-law and brother in-law and their 2 children to go with us. We all stayed in the 2 bedroom villa and had more than enough room. The Villa was very clean and exceptionally decorated. It looked just like the model we had seen 2 weeks before. All of the beds were very comfortable....even the fold out couch. I was not expecting maid service in the Villas on a daily basis so I was very surprised to see the room cleaned each day. We LOVED the oversized tub in the master bedroom. When we were not down at one of the pools our 4 year old was swimming in the tub. I visited the Spa 2 times and each time was great. I had a facial massage and a hot stone massage. Both were very relaxing and the environment was peaceful. We rented a boat at the marina and took the kids out on the lake. Since we live in the city that was a nice change for them and the first time they had been on a pontoon boat. We had many opportunities to talk with the staff and each time they were professional, courteous, responsive and friendly. We are very glad that we have purchased this timeshare and can't wait to go back!!! I would highly recommend Tanglewood Resort. We feel as though we got what we paid for and more!!

The Davis Family
Frisco, Texas

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank CDavisFrisco_Texas
Mesquite, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2005

I stayed at this resort on a timeshare exchange. I got a 2 bedroom Villa (the second bedroom adjoining), and it was VERY spacious and nicely decorated. Actually, it looks exactly like the photos on the website. The staff was friendly and helpful and I found the facilities adequate (pools, nearby golf course was great!). If I can make any complaints at all -- and I am a very picky person -- I felt that the kitchen could have been cleaned a little better. There were slight crayon marks on the refrigerator and other very small marks on the wall that I easily removed with a little elbowgrease -- so why couldn't the maidservice do the same?!?!? Also, you will want to bring your food (since there is a full kitchen in the Villa) or eat elsewhere. I only attempted one meal in one of the dining areas and it was the worse Belgian waffle I've ever tasted. They made another but I didn't want to try it. My pina colada at the poolside bar was also lacking. I went here because I wanted a relaxing vacation with my grandchildren and it was great for that as it was spacious, with full kitchen, and recreation facilities. For a kick-back and relax vacation I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank msnyindallas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2005

Tanglewood has a lot of potential, but in its current form it seems under staffed and poorly maintained. When we checked into our room, it was very dirty. The floors were filthy, our bath tub was not clean, there were still clothes in the drawers from the previous guest. The furniture was run down, had holes/stains/skuffs,and the general upkeep on the place was not good. The "fireplace" that they advertise is nothing more then some contraption made up of a light bulb, and a screen that rotates around it giving the illusion of flames (very bizarre). Service around the resort was also awful. We tried to go to the starbucks they have on site, but when we arrived there was no one there to serve us, and the place was trashed - It looked like it had been completely abandoned, there were 20 or so half empty glasses scattered about the room, napkins on the floor, and various dirty buffet trays stacked on top of each other. We waited around for 10 minutes and still nobody showed up - Service in the dining room was not any better. The food the waitress brought was not the same thing we ordered on the menu. The waitress disappeared for 10+ minutes and I had to get up and go to the front to find somebody to tell that they needed to fix our order. Drink refills were impossible to get (the table next to us gave up and went and got their own pitcher so they could refill drinks themselves). The amazing thing is there were only 6-10 people in the dining room and 4 wait staff, and still service was awful. To top things off every place at tanglewood automatically charges a 15% gratuity. Call me old fashioned but if service is awful, I don't believe you should receive a tip.

The highlight of the trip was when the second day, when we noticed a stain on one of the seat cushions in our room, and tried to flip it over to hide the stain, we discovered the other side of the cushion had some strange substance that looked like diarrhea, caked onto it. At that point I brought the cushion down to the front desk to complain. I was told they would send someone out to clean the room, and they didn't seem to understand that cleaning the room was what they should have done BEFORE I arrived, and that at this point cleaning the room would not fix their lack of service, or the fact that my room in the "resort" was in poor condition. Ironically while I was in the lobby complaining 4 more people came in to also complain about various things such as bad service, and yellow jacket infestation.

I spent 2 days at tanglewood and over $500 at the "resort." When I checked out they gave me no discount, no apology, nothing. I was not going to post any reviews, but I sent them an email voicing my dis-satisfaction, and they never even took the time to reply back. I will never return to Tanglewood. I think for the price you would be much, much better off staying somewhere else. Apparently tanglewood has long history of bankruptcies 5 or 6 of them, and its easy for me to see why. I would venture a guess that they receive very few repeat customers.

37 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2005

I am an owner at this resort. But I rented a single week during the New Year's week, Dec 31 - Jan 7th, 2005. It was supposed to be my honeymoon vacation. But unfortunately, due to the uncomfortable conditions of the unit and the weather, we left three days early.

I'll begin with the biggest problem...the king size bed in the main part of the lockout. It was so worn out that the springs were showing through the mattress cover. We were so tired after packing and driving all day that we realized the terrible condition of the bed that night. I woke up in horrific pain after trying to sleep on that "thing".

Then the TV in the living room had no channel guide. We called the front desk to complain. But they somehow misunderstood that all we wanted was a listing of channels. They sent two guys over pushing a large TV on a cart. They asked to replace the TV in the living room. We said it worked fine and needed a guide. But we did mention that the TV in the master bedroom was real tiny. We asked to trade it out. They told us that it wasn't allowed by the resort because the bedrooms were only allowed tiny TVS.

Back to lack of comfort, the furniture through the 1500 square foot unit was terribly outdated, uncomfortable including the large couch in the living room and all the seat cushions in the dining areas had nasty stains on them.

When I check out three days early, I asked the front desk what they thought of the condition of their units. They informed me that they are only updated every 5 years and if the previous tenant does not complain that the staff won't know to replace items. I just couldn't belive that their maid staf would not notice the deplorable condtion of the mattresses when changing the linens. The mattresses were sagging so much that they no longer held the mattress covers.

Anyway, when I tried to speak to the supervisors at the front desk they tried to blame me. They kept saying that it's up to the people who use the timeshare to inventory the timeshare unit when arriving and then to complain about the various things broken or worn out.

Needless to say, Tanglewood staff did not act like they wanted to keep my business. They never offered any partial refund on this rental nor any food credits. And the one dinner we had at this resort totalled $77. All activities have an automatic 18% gratuity added on to the prices. Talk about steep!!!

Well, I am so insulted by this staff and this resort that I am selling my timeshare and/or donating it. Whatever I need to do...to never return to this resort. I rate them a “1” at the most. They do offer a Starbucks only open on Friday and Saturday nights. And they make a good hot chai drink and a nice view of the lake.

38 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pottsboro
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Denison
Red River Inn & Suites
Red River Inn & Suites
#4 of 4 in Thackerville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Denison North
Hilton Garden Inn Denison/Sherman/At Texoma Event Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Texoma Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant

Been to Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!