“Nice Place for a Quick Stop” 3 of 5 bubbles

Texas A1 Steaks & Seafood
Ranked #8 of 34 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Description: With 76 entrees and salads, Texas A1 Steak and Seafood is sure to have what you crave. Having 2 locations serving Corpus Christi and Portland, a scrumptious meal is never far away.
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Place for a Quick Stop”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stopped in here while on our way to South Padre Island. We had a bit of a wait to get seated, but other then that service was fine. We both had burgers (I know I know, it's a steak house). They were well cooked and came out of the kitchen pretty quickly.

• Visited March 2014

Denton, Texas
“Good, plus a little better than expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Walked over to this restaurant since I was staying that Holiday Inn right next door. There was not much to choose for eating out in this town, which was disappointing because of how close it is to Corpus Christi. The food was better than I expected. My boyfriend tried the 10 oz. steak with fries, and the steak was actually seasoned pretty well and had its own taste. I tried the berry salad, which was surprisingly more fresh than I expected. Didn't expect such a healthy option at a steak house. Our waitress was very nice. We were both pleased and a little surprised, and would come back if back in town.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kendra8489
New Braunfels, Texas
“Out of the way Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Used an app to find a restaurant and this one caught my eye so we decided to try it. So glad we did. I had the best rib-eye I have had in a long time and my gal was very pleased with her Southwest Chicken dinner. Prices reasonable and service friendly and accommodating. Will definitely return for one of their flounder dinners.

• Visited October 2013
Portland TX
“Good Food, Service Not So Much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've eaten here half a dozen times or more in the last 6 months, which should tell you that something there is appealing. The food is really good, the kitchen staff really know what they are doing. Never a problem with the food quality or taste, it's first class.

So far, I've only gone in for lunch when they have lunch specials. Like other new restaurants in Portland, the interior design & look is good & appealing. The problems I've encountered deal with the wait staff.

I almost always order from the specials of the day menu, which is hand written and standing at eye level inside of the entry doors. The price breaks on the specials (which change from day to day) are decent (sometimes several dollars or more) which explains why I go then.

Not only is the food good, but the portion sizes are large enough that I'm filled up about half way through and take the rest home in a doggie box for dinner that night or lunch the next day. In my estimation it's great value for good food.

The wait staff is mostly younger first time servers that either haven't been trained properly to be attentive or they don't want to be. I see many of them gabbing with one another rather than monitoring their assigned tables for customer assistance. It's clear to me that wait staff turnover is frequent. It also makes me wonder if the Portland locals are not good tippers or the wait staff inattention to detail leads to smaller tips and promotes turnover.

The weekday lunchtime manager knows his stuff and knows what is needed for a good customer experience. He also tends the bar. After the third time in a row a new waitress did not ring up the reduced price for the lunch special, I was ready to call it quits. He persuaded me to ask for him as a waiter and my issues with wait staff have never happened again. Now I sit at the bar and he does his magic taking care of lunch.

The lunch salads are great. I usually get the seafood salads with fresh crab, & shrimp, or the Cobb salad, they're all great and big enough to take home half.

The seafood stuffed chicken is also excellent. I haven't tried the steaks yet because I'm trying to reduce red meat & loose weight, but they smell heavenly when a server walks by with one. I'll have break training soon and get one to let you my assessment, but steak & seafood are their signature offerings.

• Visited October 2013