Americas Best Value Inn Portland/Corpus Christi
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Portland
San Antonio, Texas
“don't do it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I am no motel snob, I have stayed in some cut-rate hotels in my time but this is by FAR the worst experience I have ever had. I could not wait until the sun came up to get the heck out of here. Dirty, dingy, scary, smelly, you name it - I do not know how they are able to stay in business, seems like there should be some standard since they are a national chain. I started up the stairs and thought i would stumble upon a crackhead in the most disgusting hallway I have ever seen. Felt like a third world country. Room was just as bad. Sheets smelled, pillows were about an inch thick. Towels bars broken off walls, beer tabs around the room. Nasty bathroom. Sleep in your car if you must, that's what I did.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bjames1166

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Me and my kids came and try to have a wonderful spring brake week when we arrive and got a room at Americans best value inn I wz ok got a good deal for a week finally got to the room and it wz the worst hotel I ever been in my life they had dead bugs every were had a dead rat hoes in the wall the carpet wz yucky there wz blood stains in the pillows I opened the fridge and there wz Roches every were so I yell the girl in the front desk she tried to change me to another room and it wz worst the shower all black and with lots of mold so I say I want my money back and they say NO because if u get a weekly rate there's no refund so I lost almost 400 dollars my my brother got a room as a weekly rate he stayed for a day and went to the office for his money back and no refund he lost 316 dollars this people still money they have the worst employees the rooms are nasty u can get a big infection in this rooms this place needs to be shut down.....

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank cckxa4life
Corpus Christi, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights in this hotel. When we checked in we were assigned a room and went upstairs and checked the room out. It was not cleaned well at all, had not been vacuumed and there was trash behind dressers and nightstand. The room also smelt like mildew. Only half of the lights in the room worked as well. Then after realizing that I left my purse in the car, I undid the deadbolt and went to get it out of the car, came back up with the key and it wouldn't open the door. Apparently the door still thought the deadbolt was activated. We had to go back to the office and the owner opened the door and we had to switch rooms. We did receive a slight upgrade bc there wasn't another room available but the ac in that room was off and it was terribly hot in there and was also smelly and unclean. We then had to go sit in our car for an hour for the room to even slightly cool down. The bedding appeared clean but stained and the toilet barely worked. I showered with my shoes on. It is a great location but the hotel is old and very run down.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

You would be better off sleeping in your car or on the beach than staying at this motel. My husband and I reserved this room due to no availability for all the days that we intended on staying for the Labor Day weekend at our perfered Hotel. The price was cheap and we were not expecting much, but this was UNBELEIVABLE. As soon as we opened the door which was nasty and rusted the smell of mildew hit us. The paint was severely peeling off the wall there were white stains on the head board the pillow cases and towels had stains The carpet was sticky and stained . The bathroom was worse.. the tub was rust stained and mildewed. My husband and I had to spend an extra 80 bucks on sheets, blankets, candles and cleaner just to make it were we could endure the night in the room. AND AFTER ALL THAT I WAS STILL BITTEN BY SOME TYPE OF BUG! The lobby and out side is Just as bad. I can not beleive that this place is actually in business.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I wouldn't put a dog in these rooms!! It was close to corpus and wanted to go to beach and aquarium so with a 5 MONTH old BABY we didn't want right on beach so we went there. We stepped in room and the room stunk,tub was broken up,shower rod held up by a empty pack of cig and toliet was held up by news paper in back and front and to say the least the whole bathroom stunk like a man urnial The beds were hard and springs hit you. Went to get refund and refused!!! Ill never stay there again

• Stayed July 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I travel a lot for work, and stay at quite a few "cheap" hotels. This had to be the dirtiest that I've ever stayed at. Everything was covered in grime. I was exhausted by the time I made it to the room, and the sheets appeared to be clean, so I didn't leave, otherwise I would've tried to get a refund to go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Victoria, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

After staying a few ABVI before that were good I thought this place would be great for a lil mini vacation with my girlfriend. Now the place does look a lil shady I remember seeing needles the parking lot but I felt no danger being there. The hallways were very dark and smelled....kinda fishy as in it literally smelled like fish but when you're that close to the water that happens. The doors on the outside all had rust spots once again I'm going to say that has something to do with being so close to the water. Our room was overall pretty good! We had a great view of the ocean, the bed was very comfortable, our AC worked very well, the fridge and microwave worked good. The bathroom was a bit dirty, the toilet worked but it took awhile at 10 mins too fill up so it could be used again. My girlfriend and I thought it was broken at first and there was a square hole near the toilet granted the person at the front said the hotel was renovating so ill assume it something to do it that. The breakfast is what you would expect for any other motel ya know cereal, juice, toast, honey buns but i enjoyed it and had good bowl of fruit loops. Over all the experience was okay for the most part, would I stay there again?........maybe but I would look for something else before staying here again. Its not a bad hotel but not a great one but if you're looking for something cheap and affordable I'd say try it out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach
Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Be...
#17 of 80 in Corpus Christi
Hotel DeVille
Hotel DeVille
#14 of 80 in Corpus Christi
Days Inn Portland/corpus Christi
Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downtown Marina
Holiday Inn Corpus Christi Downt...
#18 of 80 in Corpus Christi
Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
#3 of 80 in Corpus Christi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,539 reviews
Embassy Suites by HIlton Corpus Christi

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Portland/Corpus Christi? Share your experiences!