Americas Best Value Inn Portland/Corpus Christi
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I travel a lot for work, and stay at quite a few "cheap" hotels. This had to be the dirtiest that I've ever stayed at. Everything was covered in grime. I was exhausted by the time I made it to the room, and the sheets appeared to be clean, so I didn't leave, otherwise I would've tried to get a refund to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 23, 2013

After staying a few ABVI before that were good I thought this place would be great for a lil mini vacation with my girlfriend. Now the place does look a lil shady I remember seeing needles the parking lot but I felt no danger being there. The hallways were very dark and smelled....kinda fishy as in it literally smelled like fish but when you're that close to the water that happens. The doors on the outside all had rust spots once again I'm going to say that has something to do with being so close to the water. Our room was overall pretty good! We had a great view of the ocean, the bed was very comfortable, our AC worked very well, the fridge and microwave worked good. The bathroom was a bit dirty, the toilet worked but it took awhile at 10 mins too fill up so it could be used again. My girlfriend and I thought it was broken at first and there was a square hole near the toilet granted the person at the front said the hotel was renovating so ill assume it something to do it that. The breakfast is what you would expect for any other motel ya know cereal, juice, toast, honey buns but i enjoyed it and had good bowl of fruit loops. Over all the experience was okay for the most part, would I stay there again?........maybe but I would look for something else before staying here again. Its not a bad hotel but not a great one but if you're looking for something cheap and affordable I'd say try it out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I came here for business and had a room setup I looked at three rooms and they were all horrible I couldn't even eat my dinner The smell was so bad in the room they had roaches spiders that place is tore up The ground have trash all over Ask for a refund and they said that they could not give me one back Ask about another Americas Best Inn in the area and they could not help me they said there was none I looked on the internet and there is a few Around the area This place should be shut down and remodeled And the franchise needs to take away the managers license Would not recommend this place to anyone or my worst enemy in the world.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I needed a relaxing break and this was a great spot - close to the beaches and downtown but away from too many tourists. It's right on the water and sunsets are beautiful. The property's old but the rooms are clean and comfortable and have been recently renovated. It's a valuable bargain.

Room Tip: Ask for the water side rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My wife and I visit the TX coast often and stayed here because of the location right on the water away from the touristy areas. While the location is good, the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. When we arrived. we were greeted by a man with no shoes looking disheveled. After we checked in and got to the room, we found the beds to be off the frame and the room looking a mess. I went back and a lady there apologized and gave us a suite, which was a little better but not very impressive. Room was bigger and had a good view of the bay but that's about it. This property gives the entire chain a bad name and the family who operates it should have their franchise revoked.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We were at a Cook-off in Taft so we needed something close by. Outside looked very nice. The hallway to the room was dirty, the paint on the walls were peeling just very unkept.
Inside was even worst. The door needed to be lifted up to be able to lock. It was musky
smelling. The walls needed painting actually looked yellowed but was a non-smokimg room.
The carpet was very old and worned, needed to be clean or at least vaccumed. We couldn't
take a shower or bath because the bottom of the tub had been painted, yes painted and the
paint was peeling off. The toilet seat was broken. There was a small table with two chairs and one of the chairs was completely broken, you couldn't sit on it. They should have taken it out of the room. The bedding was old. The only reason we did spent the night was because we got there at 10:30pm and had to leave at 5:00am and too tired to look for something else.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Susana L
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Room was clean. Could have been vaccumed better. Everything old, some rust in places and all in need of updates and repair. Wifi was fine in our room. Bed advertised as a queen..it seemed smaller. And the bed was hard and uncomfortable w/lumpy pillows. No coffee in the rooms. Nice views of bay! Would not recommend to women traveling alone. Not so great for families either. Pool didn't look too inviting. This motel might be ok for a couple of guys on a fishing trip. But we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple