Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The room was larger than expected and very clean. We sure enjoyed our free breakfast. The staff made sure all tables were clean and would never let anything run out. The hotel itself is pretty small, but easy to find and seems brand new. Great value, would recommend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had a room at the end of the hall that was very large and clean. Hotel seems very new (faint paint smell in the stairways). Staff was friendly and informative when asking about restaurants and directions in the area.

Breakfast was OK...standard HIE (Bacon, eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, cinnamon rolls). Fills you up for free!

Only issue was the exit doors for the stairs. My room was right across from it, so I could hear any time someone left the floor that way because the door slammed loudly. I was already up, so no big deal, but something to consider if you are a late riser.

Cheap movie theater (first run, not dollar movies) across the street. (side note...hot dog, ice cream, popcorn and drink for $10...wow. Not fancy, but in Houston that'll cost you almost twice that amount).

Rate seemed a bit pricey, but Hampton was around the same price and only had smoking rooms.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms near the stairs (loud doors)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My stay was wonderful...easy to find. Easy access to The Texas Aquarium and Texas A&M Lab for Research and Classroom. The accomidations were excellent, clean....breakfast HEALTHY and Exercise Room convenient...walkable to Steak House for landlovers. Room was more than any Executive Instructor could ask for....I would give it an A+.

Room Tip: Room on the Top Floor....Elevators work!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The hotel is easily accessible to highway and Corpus. One can find restaurants all around (not necessarily only in area but including other towns and Corpus). Staff friendly (we never experienced any rudeness), helpful, and courteous. Breakfast typical of HIEs, but good. Room was clean and well-maintained. NICE and COLD air-conditioning in the 100+ degree heat! Great place to stay! Also, on the backside of the hotel, you have interesting view of loads of "windmills" which apparently provide electricity to the area due to almost incessant "prevailing winds!"

Room Tip: We were told that the top floor was the quietest; however, I did hear the pitter-patter of little fe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OurBigAdventure
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed there last night and you know what? It was one of the better HIEX I have spent the evening at. I am not sure why the prior reviews gave such poor guest realation ratings to the staff; the young lady at the desk was very friendly and helpfull. I surely did not have any issues in that regard.
The room was spotless and, though I am not one to get all excited about the decor...I got to admit, this was one pretty room- and very large!
The whole palce was squeeky clean.
The location was super if you are visiting C.C. or Aransas Pass/Mustang Island. Short trip over to the ferry, just down the road from C.C. beach and all the attractions. You will pay 2X the $ if you stay at one of the "beach" locations. Save your bucks and spend it at all the fun places like the aquarium (also just down the road!). As for the review about bed bugs...I did not see any evidence of this.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Wouldn't stay there again. Employees weren't friendly to begin with. Sorry I hardly ever give a hotel a bad bad ratING but this place is very rude. The first night there we had reserved a king bed went to room had two doubles beds, room was very small. Husband went back down to lobby they gave us a king size bed on a different floor. THEN at 3:00 AM my husband woke up and he had ANTS CRAWLING ALL over HIM. He had several bites on him. I called front desk and told them they said come down and get a key to a different room. (NO BIG DEAL TO THEM I GUESS, NO I AM SO SORRY OR ANYTHING). WE SHOULD OF A LEAST GOT OUR ROOM FREE FOR THAT NIGHT. So at 3:00 am in the morning we were moving to a different room again. NO SORRRY FOR YOUR TROUBLE OR ANYTHING. THAT IS VERY BAD SERVICE. My husband has sent in a complaint to the main office and they have sent on the message to this hotel and they still havent gotten back to him. Matter of fact they have done it twice. I can't believe they can't apologize for something like this. HOW RUDE THEY ARE IN this place. WOULD NOT recommend this hotel. We stayed two nights then were ready to get the heck out of this place. We checked out 3 days early.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank kslady56
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear kslady56,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Recenly stayed here with my family. The hotel was new and fairly clean. However, the staff was rude and didn't have a clue how to treat guests. We were told that late check outs were only allowed for priority club members (which I am) and therefore we could not check out one hour late. When I explained that I was a priority club member, I was told that late check outs were disallowed by corporate policy...strange since I have had late check outs at other Holiday Inns. The breakfast was poor. They had milk, but you had to ask for it to be brought out of the back room even though an employee was present to monitor the breakfast items. I would not recommend this place to anyone! Customer service should be a priority in the hospitality business!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rach H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi-Portland, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Dear Rach H,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness of our hotel as well as the rooms.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on out hotel staff service. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.