“Local Who Loves It”

Manuel's
Ranked #4 of 50 Restaurants in Port Isabel
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South Padre Island, Texas
“Local Who Loves It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Well, the place has an "atmosphere". It's unique to visitors and "like home" to locals. I often view visitors who order and then realize they ordered "way too much" - portions are HUGE, order carefully. It's all good. Wife and I are treated like royalty, but we are locals and eat there on a regular basis. Wife always gets a hugs and kiss from the staff - but they know us.

Food is GREAT and whatever "variation" you want - they will accommodate you and your family. Staff GREAT with kids too - your family will enjoy the experience. Be patient though - often there is a waiting line.

Visited February 2014

“Don't believe the hype !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I love Mexican food. More than anything else. And this place was the absolute worst. It looked like a hole in the wall, but it had super great reviews on TA, so we gave it a try. While the service was great, the good was bland and Not edible. I took about 3 bites and got the check. Chicken was disgusting. Don't go here.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Isaacvolz
Canada
“Not for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

I do not understand the good reviews on this place. It closes so early, but we heard the rave reviews, so we made a special trip to try it out. I do not understand why good Mexican food is ruined by being topped with American/processed cheese! That is not authentic Mexican flavour! I probably will not go here again, but if I had to, I guess I would ask for no cheese and see if it tasted better. I see a lot of reviewers like the Mexican food here, but it tastes entirely too processed for me. The restaurant is cramped & crowded. It is clean and the service is great. Good prices. Large portions. The handmade tortillas are excellent. However, the "sauce" they give you for the tortillas is a sort of melted, watered down margarine. Real butter would have been nice.

• Visited November 2013
Friendship
“Outstanding food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

This is by far the best Mexican food we have had in a very long time (and we lived in Houston for over 10 years). Small cosy restaurant with a very friendly staff combined with the excellent food that is priced unbelievably low and you will want to come back for every meal. But not for dinner since it closes at 2 pm. Always a wait but never too long and definitely worth it.

Visited February 2014
Pagosa Springs, CO
“Small but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We waited for about an hour on President's Day to get a table but it was great food. This is a small place with probably a dozen or so tables. Busy, busy but very friendly, even with this maddening crowd, and good food. I had the green enchiladas, which were good but not great. The refried beans were great. My friend had the chili rellenos, which was outstanding. Others, at the table next to us, had a giant breakfast burrito which they raved about

• Visited February 2014