“Best Fish Sandwich Ever”
Review of Joe's Oyster Bar

Joe's Oyster Bar
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Port Isabel
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Had both the grilled shrimp and the fish sandwich (had to go back after we'd eaten there once) and both were ridiculously good. It had been referred to as a "hole in the wall, but the best food around" by a couple people who recommeneded it to us. While i agree on the food part of the statement (how they make a fried fish sandwich not taste greasy and heavy, I'll never know, but I'm sure glad they do), I certainly wouldn't call it a hole in the wall or a dive. Sure, it wasn't fancy, but it doesn't have to be. It was well maintained, not dingy, very clean. I wish they'd open a restaurant in Pittsburgh. We can't wait to go back. Super clean, friendly staff, affordable, easy to find, quick service. We could not have had a better dining experience either time we were there!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Got a recommendation to visit Joe's, although it doesn't look like much we decided to give it a try. On the first visit we had Nathan's Special and the fried snapper. Nathan's special is amazing! The flounder may be the best I've ever had, and that is saying something. Later in the week we returned and got the ceviche to go. It was also delicious, and not too spicy for those with a sensitive palate. You really can't go wrong with any of the seafood!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Go to Joe's Oyster Bar and try Nathan's Special. It is broiled Snapper, four broiled shrimp, and a crab cake, fry's and sauces. He originally had a fleet of fishing boats catching and selling fresh fish, then started the restaurant. He also sells fish frozen and fresh out of the counter case. Great service, fair prices. Expect paper plates, down home atmosphere, informal dining at it's best. Joe is there at the register and a delight to meet.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was beyond awesome food and service. I only wish they had one in my home town. The seafood was FRESH and perfectly cooked. The raw oysters were TO DIE FOR and were by far the best I've ever had...I would go back here time and time again. The Nathan's Special is amazing. Soooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH and the price is astounding reasonable. :)

2  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had heard good things about Joe's but when we we were handed the menu and saw the prices, I was very surprised. I really expected it to be much more expensive. We ordered the oysters on the half shell, the shrimp po-boy and the Nathan's Special. Needless to say the food was amazing and we look forward to going back again. The place was packed yet we got our food very quickly and it was all very fresh. If you are coming near Port Isabel and love seafood even a little, then this has to be on the top of your list of places to eat.