“Great views - wonderful staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Aransas
Sandcastle Condominiums & Conference Center
Reviewed December 27, 2013

OK, maybe the facility is getting on in years but it is still nice and the view from our condo was worth the price. Also, I left some clothing at the condo and staff mailed it to me (in Colorado) without being asked. That is exceptional customer service. Stay at the Sandcastle, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandlapper2013
Makenzi L, General Manager at Sandcastle Condominiums & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review; we appreciate your time. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Here at Sandcastle we thrive on always improving guest services, and I'm happy that we were able to provide you with this service. We hope that you visit us again!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

But, this condominium is now well past its prime and we cannot recommend it. The location and staff are very nice but the condominium we stayed in--523--was worn (stains on carpet) and not at all equipped (no hair dryer, no clothes hangers, no soap!) The pool was full of drunk men, which made it totally uninviting. And it was expensive!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mary K
Makenzi L, General Manager at Sandcastle Condominiums & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for your response. We just finished cleaning the carpet in all of our units, and I apologize that it was not cleaned before your visit. I am sorry to hear that you did not have adequate supplies either. We aim to satisfy our guests and I encourage you to call the front desk if anything is missing in your room during your next stay. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This place is ridiculously overpriced for the quality of the service it offers.
We stayed for 2 nights in #504, and it was not worth almost $400 that we paid in October (not the peak time of the year).
The property was poorly maintained and stuffed with personal items of the owners which I personally would prefer not to see. Sorry, if you rent your condo, please get rid of your family pictures and make it impersonal.
I feel like the demand for accommodation is so high in this area that hotels and condos get way too greedy. They know they will always have new customers no matter what.
Maybe we are too picky, but we'll not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Flammka T

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with the décor in your room. We are currently in the process of upgrading our units and I will be sure to relay this issue to the owner. I would like to personally invite you to return to Sandcastle and I encourage you to ask about our upgraded units when you place your reservation. I hope you come see us again!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was our first stay here, although my relatives have been coming here for years. We requested a 5th floor pool view, and ended up with room 53, an efficiency. My sister was across the hall with an ocean view (south), room 530, a 1 bedroom. While our unit was sufficient for our purposes (only 2 of us), it was significantly more run-down than the room across the hall. Room 530 had great new furniture, rugs, state of the art sliding glass doors, etc. Ours, 531, needed a new carpet, the sliding glass door was corroded (most everything on the coast corrodes eventually!), the ceiling fan rotated at exactly 7 RPMs a minute, useless if you wanted a breeze. Otherwise, the balcony view was wonderful, pool outstanding, and the short walk to the beach was very convenient. And the staff was courteous and helpful. Beach conditions were excellent with minimal seaweed, no jellyfish, no red tide (some was reported in the area but it was "sub clinical," and no tar. The condo is close to great eating and coffee shops (there is no restaurant or bar on the premises), and the sunrises were fantastic! We will be back.

Room Tip: It is hard to tell the quality of furnishings from the website. Building is concrete so there is lit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie P, General Manager at Sandcastle Condominiums & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write a review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our property in spite of the fact that you were not able to stay in one of our recently updated rooms. I will certainly advise the owners of the issues you mentioned. Please feel free to contact our front desk when you make your next reservation to inquire about newly renovated units.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just returned from our latest weekend at the Sandcastle. We have been going to the Sandcastle for about 10 years and try to go twice a year---before and after summer break (fewer kiddos, even fewer rowdy summer breakers.) We always stay in the same 4th floor 1 BD deluxe. The unit is always spotless---great housekeeping. But our favorite unit is starting to show some wear and tear. The couch was especially tattered this trip, and the fridge has rust. There was 2 new flat screen TVs but the reception in the LR was awful despite cable. We're pretty sure the mattress has never replaced and it's on its last leg. The pool could probably use refurbishing although it's great and there are now very nice new tables and chairs, a vast improvement over the old plastic furniture of the past.

Our biggest complaint is having to wait past 4 p.m. check-in to get into our unit. Even now in the off-season the check-in is 4 to 6, which is later than any place we've ever stayed. This is really a major problem with the Sandcastle. We pay for the day and the room should be ready when we get there! It's a long drive for us, and our unit wasn't ready until after 5. I know there were other guests in the pool area who waited even longer. This is inexcusable, and I think they may have lost some return visits because of this from the comments we heard. Hiring more housekeeping staff would solve this problem.

I still give this place 4 stars because (1) the staff from front desk to maintenance is the best, (2) the atmosphere is great---laid back, casual, relaxing, (3) the other guests are always nice and eager to chat or not depending on your mood, (4) the beach access is perfect, and (5) the rates are very reasonable for the area.

I've read and heard that the Sandcastle owners will be doing upgrades to the units this winter. I sincerely hope this is true because we thoroughly enjoy our visits here. We'll see what happens. As for the major problem with such late check-ins, I sincerely hope management works on correcting this. It could definitely be a deal breaker in the future......

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GulfGrammy
Stephanie P, General Manager at Sandcastle Condominiums & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for your review! I appreciate your feedback. I do apologize that your room was not ready until after 5:00 p.m. It is posted on our website and on all confirmation emails that check-in is 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. While we make every effort to have rooms available before 4:00 p.m., it is difficult to accomplish that task during our busy season, especially when check-out is not until noon. We are continually working toward improving efficiency in our housekeeping department without sacrificing quality.
We do have projects slated for the fall and winter which include upgrading our cable and Internet services along with extensive work to be done on the pool. I am also in the process of issuing letters to all owners regarding deficiencies in their units, and all of the items you listed will be reported to the owner of the unit you reserved.
I am glad that you enjoyed our property overall. I look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Spent the 6-8th of September 2013 in room 321. Great place, nice grounds, professional staff! Definitely will be returning to Sandcastle.

Kudos to the entire staff at the Sandcastle for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank buffet12003
Stephanie P, General Manager at Sandcastle Condominiums & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your posting! It was our pleasure to provide you with a wonderful weekend stay and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Doing alot of traveling takes its toll as everyone knows. One the weekends when I'm working in San Antonio, I head for Port Aransas (Port A) for relaxation on the beach. I always stay at the Sandcastle. It sits right on the beach. The condos are rented to vacationers by the owners and are maintained in top shape. The staff is very efficient and friendly.

There's a pool which I seldom use since the ocean is always warm. Restaurants are close by and convenient. But what I really like is the quiet. With all the traveling, I like a place where I can set my own schedule, and just chill out without having to talk with alot of people. It's almost monastic but that's what I enjoy...the peace and quiet, while spending time on the beach, or ocean swimming. It's very relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank bpuharic
Stephanie P, General Manager at Sandcastle Condominiums & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for submitting your review. While we are very busy during the winter, spring and summer months, late fall is a great time to stay with us if you are looking for peace and quiet. Most of our guests during that time are looking for some real quiet away from the hustle and bustle of their regular schedules and we make every effort to provide them with the down time they are seeking. We look forward to your return later this year!