“nice clean place to spend the night”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Port Aransas
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Went to Port Aransas for the weekend stayed in this hotel nice, clean room and comfy beds. glad to see shampoo,conditioner,bodygel and lotion ect in bathroom ..
It is located close to the beach like a couple of blocks away..
They have a free breakfast till 9:30a cereal,bagels, biscuits,sausage,egg, juice coffee,yogurt,muffins fruit, and you can make your own pancake.
The person in the front desk was very friendly and helpful, her name was Amanda..

1  Thank FlipFlopsGirl_67
Julie J, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Port A!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our family of four stayed here in a 2 room king suite. The bedroom has a door for privacy and the living room couch is a sleeper. The kitchen featured a long granite counter top with supplies for a family of four (paper plates, plastic forks spoons knives and cups). The bathroom was roomy however the shower head wasn't the best. Breakfast was hot and there was always plenty of food. The pool and hot tub was very nice and quite large for the hotel size. The hotel is perfectly located a block and half from the beach so you can walk or drive your vehicle to the beach. We are a priority club member and they were gracious to extend our checkout time until 2pm on Sunday so we enjoy the beach longer and still shower before leaving. The front desk staff were all very accommodating especially given the we're full that weekend. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Austin_TXJamesM
Julie J, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is the 3rd time I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Port A. As always, our room was very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet before heading out to our Dolphin Encounter tour. Don't hesitate to stay here. It is pricey, I think it went up since last year, but you can count on everything being just perfect!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for you response! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Port Aransas.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here as we had never stayed at a Holiday Inn or Express. Well it certainly was not worth the difference we paid versus another national chain hotel. Included breakfast which was on par with other chains offering a breakfast. Had four issues, three of which the hotel could have attempted to address, but chose not to.

1. Water temp was from warm to scalding with no ability to adjust the temps, it was either lukewarm or a slight turn of the temp scalding hot.

2. Standard cable TV with movies. about 1/3 of the channels listed had no signal - didn't check out the movies.

3. A/C rattled when the compressor was on, otherwise just usual hotel fan noise.

4. Could hear the person above us walking around, so poor insulation between floors and even heard doors banging down the hall causing our walls to rattle too.

Oh the kicker was on our last full day, we returned to find our door ajar after the cleaning people had finished. Nothing was missing so it was the staff not insuring the room was secure.

1  Thank Paul E

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. We take pride in the offering excellent customer service to all of our guests and am saddened to hear that we were did not meet this goal. Please feel free to contact me at julie@zjzhospitality so that we can discuss this issue further. Thank you!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and realized I left a brand new shirt behind that was still in the bag from the cleaners. I called the hotel 2-3 hours after we left and talked with the front desk who informed me she was busy and would have to call back with the news I dreaded and the shirt was no longer in the room. I asked for a manager who called the next day with the same news. The shirt was not there. She did say she would do more checking and call me back and never heard from her again. Somebody working there now owns a really nice Tommy Bahamas shirt!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wchesnut
Julie J, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for your review. I apologize that we were not able to find your belongings. I would love to discuss this further with you and try to get to the bottom of this. Please feel free to email me at julie.johnson@zjzhospitality.com.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

For 3 years straight we stayed at this hotel during spring break. Each year it was the same routine, so this year I called in January to book our reservation. Nothing was different, I told the girl taking the reservation we would be there for spring break again, we are military, and she gave me a military discount on the room. Several months pass, and I get a voice mail on my phone from and Asst. Manager (I believe her name was Megan) and she states, to make sure to bring our "official orders paperwork." I quickly called her and to inquire about this message. I told her we are not on orders and the girl who took the reservation knew this, and we have been coming there the last 3 years for spring break and NEVER had to be on orders and it was NEVER mentioned. She informed me (very bluntly) that in the past they let it slide, with the military, but are now enforcing the rule that in order to get a military discount, you have to be on orders. I was very irate, especially because they waited months to inform me of this and called me TWO WEEKS before spring break to share they are now enforcing a rule they have never enforced or had. I should add, at the time there was nothing on the website about having to be on orders and on my confirmation under the rules for the reservation it said, "Military ID Required." I then called the corporate office for Holiday Inn Express to report this issue. I told them all of the above and they told me it was wrong for them to do that, but unfortunately they are privately owned and can handle things the way they want basically. They said in this situation they were going to send a message to them and encourage them to honor our reservation. Later that day I called the hotel and they were not willing to budge at all. I then asked to speak the manager (Bea.) She got on the phone and was already well aware of the situation. She would not honor our reservation. She was very irritated and had no concern or compassion for the fact that we were getting this call just two weeks before spring break and now had to scramble to find another hotel to a spring break hot spot. She gave me the same story as her asst. about never enforcing this in the past. I said...... enforcing this? Your website doesn't show this policy AND my confirmation says only military id is required. I also told her that if she wanted to "enforce" their rule that doesn't exist, then why didn't they make that clear at the time of the reservation, state that on the website, state that on the confirmation AND why in the hell did you wait until 2 weeks before spring break to call me???!!!! I can't believe this woman is even managing a business. Bea and her assisant manager are rude, unprofessional, clueless,and have ZERO customer service skills. FYI military folks......this is not an exaggeration. This manager could care less that we were military. So our room rate was changed from $109.00/night (military rate) to $279.00/night. Needless to say, we didn't stay at this hotel. I wouldn't let my dog stay there! So in a nutshell, this was really about money. They knew they could get $279.00/night from a student spring breaker. Very sad representation for Holiday Inn Express. Go get an education ladies and learn how to run a business!!!!! Military or not, this was wrong!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank MelindaB293
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear MelindaB293,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept my sincerest apology for the reservation issues and service you received. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our Hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed August 22, 2012. I requested a Queen Suite. Check-in quick, staff was very courteous. As with any hotel booked to capacity, problems can arise and a minor one did.

Pros: .3 miles to beach (I tracked it.) Clean rooms, comfortable beds, really nice saline pool. Friendly, helpful staff, very adequate breakfast with 2 attendants keeping int stocked and clean.

Cons: You may think this hotel is pricey. But, before you judge that, please price other properties on the island. Our stay was not without minor problems. We were put in the wrong room to our benefit. We were suppose to have a one-room queen suite with sofa bed. We were mistakenly placed in Queen 2-room suite. I knew I booked a room with the description suite, so I thought I was in the right room. The TV did not have an HDMI cable, so we were having to have one put in after 9 pm so we could rent a movie.

I received a call at 11:30 pm from the front desk. I had just dozed off after watching the movie. The front desk staff member was telling me that I was in the wrong room but they were not going to ask me to move at this time and that because of that, I was getting a free upgrade. Really?

Back to Pros :-) Anyway, the next morning I went to the front desk to talk to the manager about the situation. The manager, assistant manager and front desk staff member were VERY accommodating, apologetic, and gave me a refund of part of my stay. You can't ask for any more than that.

Oh, and you do get your Priority Club points here, too, as you should.

Thank you, Holiday Inn Express, Port Aransas Management and Staff for making things right, being courteous and demonstrating outstanding customer service. We most definitely will return to this hotel when in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Julie J, VP of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. As you said, occasionally things do go wrong and I am glad that we were able to successfully resolve them. We appreciate your understanding and hope to see you again on your next trip to Port Aransas!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Aransas
#5 of 20 in Port Aransas
1 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Port Aransas
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rockport / Bay View

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area? Share your experiences!