“Okay for for brief stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Port Aransas / Beach Area
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Port Aransas
San Antonio, Texas
“Okay for for brief stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2008

Stayed over 2 nights - our usual condo was booked with winter texans. Check in was a bit slow, the staff did not seem enthused or friendly. our room was on first floor at end of building. The room had small refrig and microwave which was nice. The bathroom was not --- the shower head was all corroded and water spouted everywhere but your head. big cobwebs up by the ceiling/mirror (yuk). For a fairly new hotel we were surprised. The bed was not that great, so I wouldnt recommend a long stay. We heard the people above us walking/moving around which was annoying to say the least. One good thing was the free bkfst, nothing fancy, but at least something to get you going. There is a small pool, which was clean but obvious too cold to swim in january. We did get in the hot tub and that was nice, they even play music out there too. Not much of a view of anything but parking lots/ fences, but you can walk to the beach and a few restaurants/ shops.

• Liked — free breakfast
  • Disliked — bathrooms - bad showerhead and cobwebs
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
Fort Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

Amazingly I have nothing bad to say about this place. My boyfriend and I and our 2 kids stayed here this past weekend. We wanted to find a place close to the beach last minute and they had availablilty. This is a family hotel. We thought we were going to be the only ones with kids and we were not. I would almost say be prepared to share the clean pool and hot tub with kids if you are planning on visiting here. The location of this hotel is NOT right on the beach. It is about 2 blocks from it. You could walk if you needed to.We loaded up the truck and just drove. There IS plenty to do in walking distance though. Room was clean. We ended up with a smoking room since that was all they had left. We couldnt smell smoke or any kind of stink at all. Every morning me and the kids went down for bfast. The lady working was so nice. She had everything out and ready. Nothing ever got low she was right on it. She was really nice to the kids and helped them. This one little boy came down and said he wanted to make bfast for his mom and she helped him get it ready and put it on the table. Very sweet. I would definately come back to this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank megana1
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2007

This hotel had its good and bad points. On the good side, all staff members were extremely friendly. The pool is very nice and clean, and the room itself was clean and comfortable. The beach is a 5-minute walk away.

On the negative side, the family in the suite above ours kept us awake all night by running all over the place. I swear, it sounded like they were herding elephants all night long. Also, there was not much of a selection at the breakfast bar.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Central Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2007

My family stayed here for a beach vacation from Aug. 19-22. We had a great experience. The room was exceptionally clean. The housekeeping staff were very friendly. My kids loved the breakfast mini-buffet. There were both hot and cold items, with several choices of pastries, cereals and juices. The kid-suite was a hit with the kids. I thought their room was tomb-like, but they loved it. The pool is open until 10 pm and the kids took full advantage of it, while my husband and I loved the sauna after a day at the beach.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kids2cute
Terrell, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2007

My husband and I were at this hotel for three days in May and really enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean, linens were better than most and not at all worn out or tatty. The bed was comfortable and we had extra pillows. The bathroom was of a very good size with nice soaps and shampoos. We never heard noise of any kind then entire time we were there, even though there were many kids staying at the hotel. I knew when I made the reservation that this hotel was not on the beach (it is about 2 blocks away) and that was OK with us. The only minor complaint that I might have would be the breakfast-just typical HIE breakfast fare but still a meager layout. We ate out for breakfast after the first day. We didn't use the pool, so I can't review that but it was full of kids every day we were there. I would stay here again and I do recommend this hotel. If being on the beach is important to you, stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Great rate
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

We usually stay in nearby Rockport but decided to book a night in Port Aransas. We were surprised by the proximity of the beach from the hotel, which is about a block away! The motel (more like an all-suites hotel) appears to be brand new. The room was clean and bigger than expected, and included two queen beds and a sofa-bed. It includes a hot and cold continental breakfast. The entire hotel was immaculately kept and WITHOUT SAND in spite of being so close to the beach. You can buy a parking permit on the beach and park your car there. The pool is comfortable but was full of loud and busy teenagers when I tried to use it with my children. Certainly this was a great experience and I highly recommend this hotel for families!

• Liked — Proximity to the beach and newness.
  • Disliked — Price.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

I would never again stay at this particular Holiday Inn or any other. The last night of my stay I attempted to go down and use the television and dvd equipment set up in the lobby, which I was told by management on the first day that I arrived that I was more than welcome to use at any time, day or night. When I entered the lobby the girl at the front desk entered and told me to go back to my room, the lobby was closed. I explained what I had been told about use of the equipment and that I would keep noise to a minimum. She again told me to go back to my room and told me she would call the police on me if I did not. As a paying hotel guest I was astonished and shocked at this treatment. When I asked to see the manager she threatened me with a phone call to the police yet again and went back to the front desk and picked up the phone. When I was finally able to speak with a manager she told me that the girl had followed proceedure and this was policy. She did not bat an eye or offer an apology. I am passing this story along to all my friends and family, as well as the other four guests that were with me that night (whom she also threatened with the police for using the lobby) will be doing as well.

Stayed June 2007