“Can't wait to go again!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mayan Princess

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Aransas
The Mayan Princess
Dallas, Texas
“Can't wait to go again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

We had an amazing time staying at the Mayan Princess for three nights. We have two small children, ages 1 and 4, who also enjoyed themselves immensely. We stayed in a two story condo room 305. The views from the balconies were gorgeous and quite relaxing. We appreciated being in a more home like setting with a full kitchen where we could prepare our own meals. It saved us money to not eat out constantly. I would call the condo setting more on the comfortable side than luxurious though the huge jetted bathtub was to die for. The pool area is very well maintained and looks like a tropical resort. There are three pools and a hot tub. We spent most of our time at the kiddie pool which was perfect for us to spend time in with our little ones. The beach is ridiculously close with just a jaunt down the walkway. We went during the middle of the week when things were less crowded; it made us feel like we had our own private beach. Loved it and highly recommend you visit.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

The only thing good about this condo is the location. It is right on the beach with a nice pool.Easy walk to the beach the pool was kept clean. Easy drive to eat out, and shopping. Do not expect the condo to be worth the money. Ours was old, dingy and all the dishes were dirty in the cabinets. The blinds were old and did not hold out the light, so sleeping late was not easy. Our bed was very uncomfortable, and we did not rest well. We were unable to find alternate accomodations , because the island was booked, so we were stuck there for a week. I spent time cleaning up which was not what I wanted to do after our drive. The staff was friendly. If your proiority is location this is the one for you.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MayanPrincess08, General Manager at The Mayan Princess, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Dear Horsetrainer96,

I represent the Mayan Princess and would like to respond to your review. We searched our booking records and could not find any week long reservations so I am unsure of which condo you stayed in. Some of our condos are not rented or operated by the Mayan Princess so it may be that you did not stay in one of our managed condos but a private rental.

By your review it appears that you would have had to of stayed in either a 3rd floor or penthouse as those are the only units that have a east facing bedroom that would allow the sun into the room in the early morning. Since these are privately owned condos the owners have some discretion as to what type of blinds they install in their condo. Some use verticles and some use solar roll down shades. Since most guests come here and stay on the upper floors for the view of the Gulf owners do not use black out blinds. The sun can be rather intense when it rises over the Gulf and it does rise rather early along the beach so I can see how if you wanted to sleep late it might be a little difficult considering the entire east facing wall is glass.

I would really like to know which unit it was that you stayed in so I could be better situated in responding to your review. As I stated earlier we searched all bookings and did not find any week long reservations for this year so I am kind of at a loss.

Our maid service cleans the rooms and puts away the dishes in the rooms we manage. They are then inspected to assure they are ready. We also place review forms in each condo that is cleaned by our staff for the guest to fill out. The form has the names of the maids that cleaned the room and the feed back from guests is one way we guage their performance and our quality control inspections.

Since each room is individually owned the beds are all different according to the owners taste and what they prefer to sleep on when they are here. I have yet to find a hotel or condo bed that I sleep as well in as my own bed. I have to have an extra fim mattress to rest well, most people would compare my mattress to a brick and find it uncomfortable but for me it is perfect. Unfortunately with the varying tastes of all of our guests and owners we can not dictate a certain type of mattress for all owners to use.

If at any time a guest is not pleased with their room they should inform our onsite manager, assistant manager, front desk personnel, or myself. As you state that you stayed for a week I am fairly certain that we could have moved you to another room that was more to your liking and had a bed that was more comfortable to you.

I am pleased that you said that our staff was friendly, the pools were clean and the location is great. That tells me that the Mayan is doing it's utmost to make our guests stay the best we can, but I am certainly troubled by your review of the condo. Please contact me directly and give me the condo number so I can investigate this matter further and inform the owner of this review for feed back of their condo.

Thanks for staying with us at the Mayan Princess and I truly hope you will return and let me handle your stay personally. It will be my pleasure to assist you any way possible to make your stay enjoyable and memorable in a good way.

Mayan Princess Representative
361-749-5183 (Mayan Front Desk)
361-949-9050 (TRMC Office)

Travelers are raving about these Port Aransas hotels

Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Shabby. Old and worn-out. Low-rent furnishings, expecially the broken bamboo mat in the living room and torn woven decorative mat on top of a sidebar in 313. Cheap Wal-Mart furniture. Walls need touch-ups. Master bath had a spigot that was not long enough for the large jacuzzi tub that we did not use. Shower head just OK. Toilet tissue and kleenex were very low quality. I've seen better in a Motel 6 at 1/4 the daily rate! Common areas like walkways need a coat of paint, etc. Most areas a little shabby and dirty. Elevators smell like mildew. This place needs to be closed and brought back up to where it was when built! Not a good value for the high price. Bottom line - we enjoyed our stay, but it could have been much better (or much less costly).

• 1 of 5 bubbles
MayanPrincess08, General Manager at The Mayan Princess, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Dear Texmark,
I represent the Mayan Princess and am very concerned with your review. First off we have sent a copy of the review to the owner of the condo so they can see what you wrote first hand. Room quality is a very high priority for us and we expect all owners to keep their condos in the very best updated condition. We have not had any other complaints about this room so this took me by surprise. If you come back and stay with us again I will personally see to it that your room meets our highest standards.

I am also sending a formal complaint to our paper supplier concerning the quality of the paper products they are supplying. Again, I have never had this complaint before so I did not know there was an issue. It will be rectified immediately.

I will admit that there are areas that are in need of paint and we are painting them this fall when the occupancy load drops off. It is not possible for us to paint walkways when they are being used by all of our guests. The Mayan Princess has been under going an extensive re-hab for 2 1/2 years and the process is continuing on a daily basis.

I use the elevators on a daily basis and have never smelled mildew, but I will see if we can add automatic air fresheners to them.

Since these units are privately owned and this is not a hotel it is not possible to close it. These are individually owned, decorated, and maintained private condos, not a corporate hotel room.

In your bottom line you state that over all you had a good stay at the Mayan Princess which I am glad to see, but I take all negative reviews very seriously. You only give us one star for service, which concerns me greatly but it is not elaborated upon so I do not know how to take that. I also do not understand the 2 star for location. Our location is one of our greatest assets according to most of our guests.

We have reviewed all of our guest notes and front desk notes and did not find where you mentioned anything to our staff about the quality of your room. I implore all of our guests to inform our staff immediately if they are dissatisfied in any way so that we may rectify the situation. If you can not get satisfaction through our staff, or property manager please ask to speak to me directly and I will handle the matter personally.

Mayan Princess Condos Representative
The Rental Management Company
361-949-9050 Office
361-749-5183 Mayan Front Desk
San Antonio TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

We are repeat guest, 3X, because our 5 yr old loves the large2 ft 6 in kiddie pool, one of three pools. The beach access is easy with a large boardwalk. The rooms may be a bit dated, but they are clean and serve their purpose with comfortable beds & furniture & a functional kitchen. We look forward to staying at the Mayan Princess every year. ps look into Woody's in Port Aransas for the Dolphin Nature Cruise, great adventure for kids.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

Lobby--Perhaps the worst lobby I have ever seen by a hotel that actually declares it has a lobby.
Check In Clerk: Our welcome quickly turned to a list of "don't do this, don't do that, you will have to pay this if this happens." Really took the air out of our anticipation balloon. We had just arrived to have a relaxing weekend and the "negative list" is far from inviting---
The Room: 109 --- Wonderful. Off from a beautiful pool. Gorgeous view. Three pools meant we could chose the pool with the less noise while letting the kids have their fun.
Walk to Beach: Close and Easy
Question to Desk Clerk During Stay about where to eat for dinner: unsatisfactory, and as it turns out untrue. She said we wouldn't have any wait for dinner on a Sunday night. We did. 30 minutes at each location we tried.
Check out day desk clerk: Kind and helpful. Her smile sent us on our way happier than we had arrived.
We will stay again because the room was nice and location perfect.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank PaperPlates
Dear Paper Plates,

I want to thank you for your review of the Mayan and your constructive criticisim. I would very much like to speak to you about your critique of our lobby. Guest opinions are a great tool for us to use to make everyones stay more enjoyable. We updated the lobby last year with all new furnishings and leather furniture and will be updating the front desk this fall to include a marble counter top. I am also working on installing a computer for guest usage in the lobby as well.

I am also informing our staff to be a little less abrasive when explaining the rules. Unfortunately we have to have very strict guidelines and explain them point by point to every guest. When we would just hand the rules out to guests they would not read them and it created more problems.

We do our best to give correct information for restaurants and other facilities to our guests but most of that is truly out of our control and can change daily.

Once again Thank You for staying at the Mayan and please feel free to contact me directly with your concerns.

Mayan Princess Representative
The Rental Management Company
361-949-9050 Office
361-749-5183 Mayan Front Desk
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

I had never been to Port A, so I kept my expectations in check. I was pleasantly surprised by our experience at the Mayan Princess. Upon reading many reviews, I requested a "recently updated" room when making the reservation and I am very glad I did so. We reserved a split-level, 2 bdrm unit. Our room was perfectly acceptable and very roomy. Everything was clean and included all we needed for our stay. That said, it was not "luxury", but was absolutely adequate for our needs. I love the fact that every unit at the Mayan Princess has an ocean view. However, be prepared for bright sun to be streaming in early in the morning (bring an eye mask!). As I've not stayed anywhere else in Port A, I cannot compare this property to others. I did meet several other families who have and they all said that they love the Mayan Princess and return year after year. I felt that the property could use a bit of TLC. For example, the tiles in the pool were dirty and need a good scrubbing. I would consider that basic pool maintenance. The pool area, itself, is great....3 pools...the kids had a great time. I also noticed some trash and cigarette butts in the flower beds. Just a lack of attention to details that oould be easily remedied. I also really liked the easy access to the beach. Because the property is away from the more populated areas, the beach is very quiet and nice. Neither the pool nor beach area was crowded, at all, even during peak season. Be prepared for a bit of a drive for the grocery store or restaraunts. We found the staff to be very helpful and courteous. We enjoyed our stay so much that we extended it by one night and even tried for two, but they were booked for the 2nd night. We definitely plan to return!

austin,tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

We had a great room that had everything you needed for the beach that you don't want to buy (umbrellas chairs, toys, etc). The living area had a small leak that wasn't a big deal for us. There was a bucket we had to move around. The condo though was fabulours. I posted pics. The bunk beds were a big hit with the kids! The place could do with a bar in the evening or a restaurant..but it is just about the condos and pool here. Beach was easy to get to and you could always rinse off on your way back to the awesome pool for kids!

loved it!

Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
#3 of 80 in Corpus Christi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,539 reviews

Been to The Mayan Princess? Share your experiences!