“Dark, Dank, Dated, Disgusting, Disappointing Dump! Stay away.”
Review of The Mayan Princess

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Aransas
The Mayan Princess
Reviewed August 5, 2012

A total D-.
This whole thing in three words: WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!!!!!!!!!

We didn't heed the warnings of past travelers who had written reviews here, and took a chance on the Mayan. Wow, we wish we had taken the advice and stayed away!! We hope this reviews helps you do the same!

On the plus side, the maintenance guy was great. He's about the only staffer I can say nice things about. He was in our room to change light bulbs within 10 minutes of our call. Also, the pools are really nice, and my kids enjoyed the kiddie pool which is 2'6" deep all the way around. The beach access seemed recently renovated and had an OK wash off station. That's it for the plus side.

If I could have given NO stars, I would have, and here's why:
First off, the condition of the complex doesn't justify price --- We had two units. #312 and #314. The price for each unit with taxes and fees for 5 nights was right at $2K - so we spent $4K total with our whole family, which was 11 people - (9 adults, 2 kids). We got ripped off... we know that... NOW. don't let the same thing happen to you!

Unit #312 wasn't horrible, but it needed a serious, serious cleaning and a few updates. But I do not blame the unit owners for the cleanliness. They are paying the Mayan managment team to clean this hell hole... and they're the ones doing a horrible job of it. As we were leaving, I figured out why.... see below.*

The condition of Unit #314 in the Mayan Princess was much worse - it was hands-down the nastiest place I've ever stayed in - ever! And I do blame the unit owners for the poor quality of it. It felt as though this unit belonged to people who have never been to stay in it, but rather keep it as an investment and have no clue of its current condition.

Here's an enlightenment:

- The furniture was dated and in need of cleaning and repairs. It was stained, musty, and worn out. Looked and smelled like something from Grannie's storage .. or dumpster... you pick. We never sat down or felt comfortable in the room for fear of catching some kind of dermititis from the upholstry.
- all of the patio furniture was broken so you couldn't sit in that either unless you liked being impaled by broken plastic. We sat on a storage box we had brought with us.
- The dining set was falling apart and was really cheap furniture. Again, it made it hard to feel comfortable in the unit.
- The bedding was filthy... stains!!! Seriously, stains on bedding is never a good sign. I think Motel 6 has nicer blankets and comforters. Ugh, it was so ratty!!!!!! Fortunately, I brought extra bedding for the kids' beds so they had nice clean linens from home to sleep in.
- The flooring was absolutely disgusting. You couldn't walk around barefoot in the living room without your feet turning BLACK from the grime. I was horrified when I noticed. We wore shoes at all times after that, and I never let my baby down to crawl.
- The window coverings were broken. That was fun. :( What good is a room with a view when you can't roll up the blinds! Seriously, this place was all around garbage.
- The bathrooms were so dated. All the marble was turned yellow. All the fixtures were tarnished and falling apart. The caulking was so gross - it just was full of dirt and hair, as if they didn't clean before they re-caulked, which must have been about 10 years ago, given the condition of the caulk. (I'm in construction, I would know.) Mold and Mildew were everywhere. It just looked soooo nasty. Again, we couldn't feel comfortable in a place that was just so disgusting. We didn't want to touch anything! It was like showering in a petri dish.
- There was no door on the garden tub/shower. So when you showered, water just sprayed out into the bathroom. The tile got wet and slippery, and I wasn't surprised to see the baseboards rotting away. Freaking ridiculous!
- The unit was painted dark grey and had dark brown furiture (further evidence of the owner's lack of beach-going). To make matters worse, a lot of the electrical outlets and light fixtures didn't work or had bad bulbs. So it felt like a cave.... a cave.... on the beach?! C'mon! The kitchen under cabinet lights were also broken, so cooking in there in the evenings was like cooking in the dark.
- There was NO WHERE TO HANG TOWELS! Seriously, this is the beach and there's no where to hang wet bathing suits or towels? The balcony wasn't an option since beach facing balconies are always too windy. (Again, the owners of this unit wouldn't have a stinking clue)
- the Dryer didn't work well - and it didn't turn off on its own. We were told by the front desk staff that we should just watch it. But who goes on vacation to watch a dryer run? Sorry, but for $2K for the unit, I expect it to have well-performing appliances.
- The drawer in the fridge was broken, so it kept the door from closing all the way. The fridge wouldn't cool because of it. Spoiled food! We went out to eat a lot more than we planned to.
- There was broken glass in the closet, which was off the master bath. Glad we adopted a policy of shoes on at all times in this dump!

The list continues.... but as for the Mayan itself:
- they provide towels to the units... but they were so nasty! I go to a very busy gym that has fluffier towels than this dump. You could opt to use toilet paper and they would be less gross and more absorbant than these reject towels they provide. Fortunately, I brought two from home.
- The layout of the hotel is bad. Narrow walkways, awkward doors, unsecured security doors... just bad all the way around.
- The setting is dated and sad... They're trying to pull off a Mayan theme here, but the place needs a paint job, some pest control, building needs repairs, and the landscaping is lack luster. We did get a laugh at the landscape beds... there's just large "rock beds" with red lava rock and undersized concrete statuettes everywhere. Again, for $2K for 5 days, I expect better surroundings.
- They made a big deal out of wearing a pool band on your wrist. But no one's enforcing pool rules or anything... One overly affectionate, non-band-wearing couple came down with their obnoxious Tejano boom box and started a PDA session right there in front of everyone in the middle of the afternoon while they blasted us all out with the latino music. No one on staff seemed to care that they were making a scene, or that they had an electonic device sitting by the waters edge with kids nearby. Fortunately, there's two other pools so we took our chance to not be electrocuted or grossed out in those.
- There's a swim-up pool bar on the main pool.... but no one ever manned it. the first few days we thought that was odd. By the time we were leaving, it was simply fitting.

* Now, on cleaning: I know why these units are so freaking filthy! They have teenage boys cleaning the units after you depart. I had gone back up to our rooms for a last-minute check to ensure we hadn't left anyting behind, and a scrawny white kid - couldn't have been older than 15 - was "cleaning." Let me tell you... 15 year old boys are about the LAST people you want doing a make-ready on a room. No wonder this dump was so mediocre. Tell me, do you want to stay in a room cleaned by a 15 year old boy? That's why our FEET WERE BLACK ON THE BOTTOM!!! Teenage Boys have no clue what cleaning is!!!! But it's not his fault... it's the MANAGEMENT's FAULT.

so... thinking of spending a week in Port A? Don't choose the Mayan. This whole place is a DUMP. Pass by.

Room Tip: Simply do not choose this place.
5  Thank NuttyAdventures
Managementstaff009, General Manager at The Mayan Princess, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

The management and staff would like to send an apology to you for the experience you mention on your recent stay. Our courtesy call to you was positive and you did call down with mention to two maintenance issues that were corrected immediately. I would have been more than happy to discuss any issue you experienced during your stay and would like to thank you for your patronage.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

It's hard trying to decide on what place to stay at when you have to rely on photos from the internet. I searched for a vacation spot for a few months before deciding on this location. The price was a little pricey but well worth it.We stayed in Unit 207 and it was well maintained and clean. The pools area was beautiful and the easy beach access was great! We didn't have to worry about packing up and driving somewhere to a beach location when we had it all here. It was like we had our own private beach...The staff was very friendly during our stay....We definetly will be back!
(August 2, 2012 - August 4, 2012)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Diana S

Thank you for your great review and we are glad your search of resorts in our area landed you here at The Mayan Princess. We strive to keep our resort as one of the best and look forward to your return trip. Please stop by the office on your next trip as I would personally like to meet you and welcome you back.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We have been guests at the Mayan Princess Condominiums at Port Aransas for many years and have seen the facility go through a variety declines and updates. Our visit this weekend was not quite as great as in the past because of the particular penthouse unit we booked, which had not been updated. However, when we contacted the manager to share our concerns, the response was overwhelmingly wonderful. She is taking care of any issue that can be handled by management and is sharing our comments with the owner, who needs to update the unit. She also credited us without us ever asking for this. While this unit needs work, the facility itself is wonderful with beautiful pools and grounds. Staff are well trained, and the manager very responsive. It is absolutely our most favorite place to stay at Port A and we will be back!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an updated unit.
3  Thank LeisureTraveler12
Managementstaff009, General Manager at The Mayan Princess, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you for allowing us to have an opportunity to accommodate you during your recent stay at The Mayan Princess. We strive on making each and every guest happy and are thrilled you selected us as your favorite place to stay in Port A.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Me and my sister stayed in unit 211, surprised at what awesome beach and pools views it had…the BEST on the island!!! The property seems to be having some updating done but over all the beach access was great, staff was friendly, nice get-away from those loud crowded hotels in-town. Awesome weekend and unit 211 was clean, cute and had great views to wake up to!!
I would recommend purely for the serenity !!!!

Room Tip: rooms towards the middle of the buildings have better views.
1  Thank n2rocks

Thank you for your positive response. We strive to accommodate each of our guests just as you described. Looking forward to you returning to our property. Best Regards!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

The info on this condo says sleeps four, but it sleeps six easily with the great over sized bunks. The tub is amazing! The view from the condo is great. Our family was very comfortable and happy in the 215 unit. Very modern, clean and upgraded. We plan to go back for a week in August.

Room Tip: Pick 215 if it is available.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ChrissyK327
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

We appreciate your response and are looking forward to your return stay. Please let us know if you have any special needs or if we may assist you in anyway during your upcoming stay.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Our room was very nice and clean. Staff was very friendly. Our washer/dryer were not working but we had family staying in other rooms so we used there's. We are heading back in August for a whole week.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 116. Room 109 was really nice too.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank VBC65
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I read a number of negative reviews prior to booking and almost backed out. I am glad I didn't. I have been traveling to Port Aransas for many years and have stayed many places. This was one of the nicest, if not the nicest place I have stayed. We were early but checked right in. Room was very nice. Beautiful views, very nice pool area. There is even a pool for the little kids, which allows them to play without you being on top of them. Beach is very close. Staff responded immediately to any questions and concerns. I will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Our room was recently remodeled. Rm 308.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family