“Complete Upset!!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2009

My husband and I recently moved to the island so we are trying a new restaurant everyweek. This week I picked La Playa and I shouldn't have done that. We went in and there was only about 5 tables taken. The hostess was unfriendly and it took us about 5 minutes to get helped. I ordered a strawberry margarita that was actually good but that was the only thing i liked. We ordered our food after our waitress proceeded to get the other tables orders first even though they came in after us. So after all of the other tables that arrived after us got their food, I asked her where our plates were. She said the cook was new but it'll be out next. We waited and two more tables that had arrived within ten minutes got their food. So we got up and I told our waitress we wanted to pay for my drink and leave bc we were overlooked. She apologized and stepped over to tell the manager who looked about 17 and said, it's ok you can just go! The manager walked over, looked at the waitress and said no, the cook forgot to put the food up! She never acknowledged us, never tried to fix the situation and never offered any kind of apology. I couldn't believe that a manager would just let customers leave without a sincere apology. I understand Port A is an island where people come and go but people who expect repeat business should treat everyone like a local. I won't return even though its rare i find a good margarita. i was very disappointed and baffled that the 17yr old "manager" couldn't look at me and say, i'm sorry for the inconvenience, is there a way i can fix this" I want to call the owner but I am guessing it's their child so I'll just give my business to another establishment. Their food was overpiced anyway.

2  Thank jeswhitfield

Reviewed March 26, 2009

Very expensive but very good. The specials are always good and the Margarita's help ease the pain of the check. You get what you pay for though.

Reviewed March 12, 2009

Stumbled across La Playa Mexican Grill and am so happy I did! Great service, great food. The owner even came to our table and made the guacamole fresh right in front of us! Delicious!

Reviewed February 8, 2009

I judge a restaurant like this by the fish tacos and by whether or not my wife finds a dish that she just has to tell others about. The fish tacos were pretty good - not the best I've had. However, its been a long time since the wife has wanted to lick the plate after a meal. The hero was the Island Pepper - think chili releno that is not fried. A roasted poblano pepper stuffed with white cheese with a piece of fajita steak on top then topped with ranchero sauce and chili con queso.

Reviewed October 15, 2008

The service is very rushed and they seem to want to get you out of there quick. They space the food out on the plate to try and make you think you are getting more food than you really are. ( i WONDER HOW THEY WOU;LD LIKE IT IF I PAID THEM IN PENNIES TO MAKE THEM THINK THEY WERE GETTING MORE MONEY).. The quality of the food was okay and seemed fresh. The prices for the food doesnt justify what you get. The place is too small for all of the junk and tables that are in there. You always feel like your in someone way. The next time I visit Mustang Island, I will find someplace else to eat. The economy is tight right now,, but come on,,, beans are cheap,, !!!! And thats mostly what they are feeding.. You cant charge a man 20 dollars for a casidillo cut into 12 pieces, spaced out on a plate with a dab of guacomoleient sauce plopped in the middle and expect him to be happy.

1  Thank crakbadger