“Outstanding Surprise...”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Venetian Hot Plate was a real surprise. When we entered, we were asked if we had reservations...I did notice the parking lot was crowded at 5:45. I said no and the hostess asked us to wait and disappeared in the kitchen, popping out with 2 menus a minute later, asking us to wait a moment. The next couple had the same experience, but were told the were totally booked for the evening. Long story short...this was an excellent meal, not just for Port-A, but anywhere. The waiter was great...suggesting a fantastic red wine and handled all our questions with ease and patient advice. We had a great pastas and excellent fish, (drum & tuna), and an unhurried ambiance...even though there was a huge contingent of HMR sailing regatta crews in various stages of courses all around. I will be back!

2  Thank Chuck C
There are newer reviews for Venetian Hot Plate

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The aroma is amazing and the food does not disappoint. It was a perfect place for my birthday dinner.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

So my spouse and I go there on Labor Day Saturday weekend (with 3 children ages 3-9) at around 9pm. This is much later than we usually eat (with kiddos). The hostess immediately asked if we had reservations and I THINK to myself "Agh, please don't send us away, we're just hungry and don't have the strength to look further after a long day of beach/sun/kids/exhausted parents! She's going to "judge" us based on having kids at an otherwise fine dining establishment". To my surprise she said "It will be about 10 minutes" with a friendly tone. Hooray!!! We just happen to be "foodie parents" with "foodie kids". BTW, our kids were very well behaved, and our toddler exceeded expectations even after a long day. Out came David, a very friendly waiter who knew all the specials of the day and was very cheerful (even when we ordered "just water" for kids and no appetizers). He maintained a positive disposition throughout the dinner, checking on us throughout the meal even though it was a very busy labor day weekend crowd. Our middle boy loved the crab cakes. Spouse order pork chops which were spectacular. We had eaten at Perry's at La Cantera in San Antonio two months prior and had ordered their infamous porkchops, but it was MUCH better at the venetian hotplate. Their chocolate dessert was super delicious too. Overall great staff, great food, great ambience!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

While staying in Port Aransas you cannot miss an opportunity to dine at the Venetian Hot Plate. Great service, friendly staff and fabulous food await your dining experience. There is a wide variety of Italian entrees to suit any taste and the food is without a doubt some of the most delicious Italian cuisine I have enjoyed...especially in the Port Aransas area. Suggest you call ahead for reservations as the place is not huge and if there is a crowd at the beach during your stay you may have a little bit harder time getting in for dinner but otherwise it's terrific!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We went looking for dinner on a crazy busy night - the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. We'd read good reviews of the Venetian Hot Plate and decided to give it a shot even though we didn't have a reservation, and we managed to get a couple of spots at the bar, which we're always open for - and everything was lovely. Even as busy as the restaurant was, the service was upbeat, friendly and felt like family. Our server, Hope, was wonderful - attentive, happy to advise on menu and wine list, solicitous and warm. The bartender was busy but amazingly happy-go-lucky - I don't think I ever saw her without a smile on her face! And the host/manager had the whole place running like a well-oiled machine.

The food was also amazing. Our salads were fresh and crisp, without a wimpy leaf - every bite was delicious, and the tomato basil salad dressing was so good I wanted to lick it. For our entrees, my husband had a snapper special with crab meat and devoured every bite. I had the spaghetti pescatora, and it was sublime - velvety sauce, tons of seafood and perfect pasta. I ate as much as I could, and still took home a full plate of pasta laden with clams for lunch the next day. We finished with the creme brulee, and I'd say it's one of the best I've ever eaten - not heavy and thick like some - light and delicious, with vanilla flecks in abundance.

Considering that we were hopeful diners on one of the busiest nights of the year, we found Hope (the waitress and the hope that we'd find a great meal) sprang eternal!