“Delicious and classy”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have been regulars to the island for the last year and have tried many of the restaurants. Venetian Hot Plate out does them all. From the friendly family feel of the staff, the owner personally attending to us on to the FANTASTIC meal it was one of those rare nights you leave a restaurant happy with everything you encountered. I highly recommend the Scaloppine alla crema con funghi e carciofi (Veal scaloppine finished with a cream sauce of artichoke hearts, button mushrooms & tomatoes). We were also pleasantly pleased to find our bill was $60 which included a glass of wine, two entrees and a dessert. If you are looking for a nice night out in Port A make sure this is your pick. Tip: Reservations are a good idea.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

A local who has been in the restaurant business for years in Port Aransas recommended this restaurant while we were visiting and are we ever glad we took him up on it. It was Sat. nite Spring Break in Port A (over 100,000 swarming the beaches) and we had tried to get into Café Phoenix but the hostess said they had no more reservations left and rather rudely dismissed us even though we told her a very good friend of the owners had sent us. So we walked across to Venetian Hot Plate and even though they were crowded the hostess graciously said she would "squeeze us in". Our waiter Paul was the most knowledgeable waiter I've ever been served by - turns out he is also a chef! My dinner partner had the shrimp and sea scallops over fettucini in a very light white wine-cream sauce that he said was the best he's had. I took a chance on the ling fillet, a local Gulf fish I had never heard of and which Paul went out of his way to describe perfectly, right down to the shape of the fish. It was done in a beurre blanc sauce with capers and pine nuts and was absolutely fabulous. My entrée came with lemon risotto -- I'm not a real fan of risotto but it was tasty -- and some broccolini which Paul explained was an interesting plant that combined the look and taste of broccoli and somehow "bred" with kale...another "first" taste for me and it was delicious. The salads we had were made with really fresh greens and a nice medley of other garden treasures topped with house-made dressings. Paul brought us some fabulous warm Italian bread and a dipping sauce of olive oil/balsamic vinegar/fresh minced garlic/a hint of red peppers and maybe some other secret ingredient -- it was the best I've had. We completed this delightful dining experience with dessert -- I had the tiramisu which was traditional and a bit too much whipped cream and too little "cake", but still worthy of mention. My dinner partner had the house special which was outstanding....vanilla gelato topped with a balsamic reduction over fresh berries! Amazing! I'd drive all the miles from Arkansas back to Port A to dine again at Venetian Hot Plate!

1  Thank InnkeeperSandra13
Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a nice place! Very friendly staff! Great Food! I had a steak. Cook to perfection! I was surprised when the waiter didn't give me a steak knife said I wouldn't need one. He was right. The best steak EVER! My wife had the smoked duck. It was Fantastic! We didn't feel rushed which was nice The waiter also offered suggestion for other dining places in town that had fresh seafoods. This was the best meal we had on our trip.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is the best restaurant in Port A. Salads to die for. Seafood galore. Excellent service.
Saturday nite lasagna is best I've ever had--ever, anywhere. The grilled romaine salad
will leave you speechless. This is how food should taste. This is how food should be served.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I went here with a group of friends. Food as always was excellent. Great presentation! They've changed the menu since I've been here last. More choices, and I love it. I ordered the scallops with mushroom risotto and fresh vegetables. Was an excellent choice! I always order the steak medallions with gorgonzola cheese, but since it's Lent, I opted for the scallops. Service was excellent and it's European style dining, not rushed to get done eating. Everyone in our party was happy with their food, especially the pasta with mussels, and the Misto Mare. We had chocolate mousse, and creme brulee' with Tahitian vanilla bean for dessert. Prices are reasonable and this is NOT Olive Garden. Let it be known, there is no children's menu.
(I personally would get a babysitter and enjoy yourselves)
Everything is fresh; you can tell! Great place for friends and couples. Love the atmosphere, especially the paintings on the wall. Highly recommend reservations beforehand. There is a reason this place is always busy! Can't wait to go back in a few weeks!