“Small but worth it”

Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The restaurant is one of 2 I'd consider going back to . Truly for "foodies" it's cross street from Holiday Inn and just simply quaint great dining. Fresh, fun, unique...worth the trip

1  Thank DMWorld2See

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We visited Shells with guest from Fort Worth, they always make Shells their first place to go, three of us had the yellowfin sandwich I didn't think had much taste I would choose differently next time. Probably my favs are the seafood pasta& the tuna tacos, yummy, two of us opted for fish entrees of Grouper& Trout both were lovely but small servings for a hungry man better order an appetizer!! My advice go early or late seating is limited but you may miss out on some specials if you opt for later!! A must go eatery for Port A!!

1  Thank Islandhotmom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We always make a point to go to Shells at least once when in Port A. It is a small little place, not fancy but with consistently wonderful food. The grilled escargot appetizer is so different and good. Love the spring rolls too. I had the mahi mahi which was fresh and delicious. My husband had grilled shrimp and one daughter had the crab cakes and the other had a pasta dish. Everyone was happy! Can't wait to eat there again.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

They food is good but the place is small and a little crowded and definitely ain't fancy. The a.c. is at its limits in hot summer. We got good service and the food was really good.

1  Thank Cravini
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Shells is one of my favorite restaurants. Period. it is small. I counted 9 tables inside,and I believe they will also serve outside if weather permits, but still there are not many tables. However, the food is to die for. It is not a "cheap bargain" but it is really good pasta and seafood. (I think you could get very reasonably priced sandwiches if you did not want the more exotic scallops, etc.) I have never been disappointed in a meal and have been several times. Because it is small, it may require a wait, but it is worth it. I noted a somewhat negative review and understand that different people have different experiences. Even the best restaurant can have a down day, but if you come with the right set of expectations, it is a delight. It is small, so there may be a wait. It has a variety of foods from reasonably priced hot dogs and sandwiches to more exotic fare, cooked sublimely, for which you will pay more. It is a beach town restaurant in South Texas, so the temperature can not be maintained at a constant 72.5 degrees (except maybe in February), and South Texas is hotter than even normal this year. However, it is a great place to go for a comfortable, relaxing (they do not hurry you) really good lunch or dinner. No need to dress up and the blackboard specials, as well as their standard menu, are great. My friends recently had the scallops and fish tacos and loved them. I had the gorgonzola pasta and really enjoyed it and took half of it home, so I got two meals out of it. The first bottle of wine we had had turned and they took it back without question and replaced it with a bottle we truly enjoyed.