“Prepare to Sweat and Get Messy”

Crazy Cajun Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 79 Restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Granbury, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Prepare to Sweat and Get Messy”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'm certainly glad I resisted the temptation to turn the two of us around and adjourn to another place when the hostess with the faint port wine birth mark on her right jaw rolled her eyes after I asked if credit cards are accepted.

You see, across the street at La Playa they take none; here at Crazy Cajun the sole reference to plastic is a small American Express placard, adjacent to the door handle.

Teenagers. You gotta love 'em.

Or, not.

So, we went into this humid and hot place, packed with patrons crowded around messy paper-covered tables, and took our place at one along the wall.

The sourdough bread brought to placate us during our brief wait for food was very nice. Not the best, but a nice way to start the meal. A racquetball-sized scoop of butter that would make my cardiologist faint accompanied our bread.

My Landshark beer arrived with a wedge of lime in a small clear plastic cup; but, it was chilly and welcome indeed.

I found the shrimp gumbo to be delicious, with a generous portion of shrimp chunks. My wife ordered the "Hungry Cajun" seafood boil, which came with crab legs, shrimp, some of the most succulent sausage I've tasted in my life, and no fewer than a half-dozen large shrimp, all steamed to perfection. Salty melted butter made is even mo' better. She'd waived the crawfish normally included, and got more shrimp instead.

It is crowded, and well-worn, but a nice place to stumble into after a day at the beach. Don't bother dressing up, and prepare to leave sweaty and spattered with some of the best cajun steamed cooking money can buy. Basic, but decent.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Andy S

“Fun and entertaining”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Everyone we met recommended the Crazy Cajun and I'm so glad they did! The food was not the best but it was still good. The live music was entertaining. Our only real complaint was that our portion consisted mostly of sausage instead od seafood. The staff was wonderful and it was fun getting to smash your food with a hammer.

Visited June 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Fun atmosphere, spicy food, be prepared to get messy.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Ok, we were really hungry, the Beach Street Grill (which we like) across the street was crowded, so we parked at Crazy Cajun and walked in. There was live entertainment.
The kid saw hammers at the next table and said "I want that!" The waiter dumped a pile of spicy, boiled corn on the cob, red potatoes, unpeeled shrimp, whole crawfish, King crab legs and other stuff onto the paper on the table. It isn't the best seafood on the island, but we certainly had a good time.

• Visited May 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Fun meal”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

If you're looking for a fun friendly, no frills place - look no further! There weren't many places open on a Wednesday night so we stopped in here and were not let down. My husband and I ordered the Hungry Cajun for two - huge bowl they dump on the table of corn, crawfish, shrimp, sausage, potatoes and crab legs and shared with our 20 month old. It was fun getting messy and we used the wooden hammers they give you to crack the crab legs. Our son was scared of the crawfish at times, but he ate his fair share of food! Servers were extremely nice. Definitely will be back.

• Visited June 2013
Texas
“Pretty good stuff”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Went about 45 minutes before closing. Everything was very good although the shrimp was overbooked and hard to peel. Very friendly staff , reasonay priced

• Visited May 2013