“HAD A GREAT TIME”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Port Aransas
Watauga, Texas
“HAD A GREAT TIME”
Reviewed August 14, 2007

My husband and I had ajoining rooms with 3 other persons. We were booked at the Port Royal and found other of our friend were staying here so we changed to be with them - they cancelled at the last min. so we were stuck out at the Alister. (Not on the beach but on the strip). I thought I would be disappointed but to my suprize we had a blast. Keep in mind - this is a fishing town - not Destin Fl. The owners were the nicest people ever. The pool was small but crystal clear. The guys went deep sea fishing with "Off Shore Adventures" (DONT EVER BOOK WITH THOSE JERKS) while we went shoping and eating and to the beach (only a very short drive. At night we went to the pool - it was great - the rooms were fine and there was little or no noise (maybe from us - lol. We could walk everywhere because it was on the strip. Middle of everything you would want. Rooms were ready early and the staff was great. If this is your first time to Port A - keep this in mind "IT IS A FISHING TOWN - IF YOU WANT WHITE BEACHES AND ROOM SERVICE GO TO FL. OR CANCUN" We will stay here again. Eat at the Wharf - great food and live music.

• Liked — the area
  • Disliked — pillows
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank ftwthgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2007

This may not be a brand new chain hotel but that's exactly why you should consider staying here. It's an excellent location right in the middle of everything in Port A. The rates are reasonable, the staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean and well functioning. A/C worked fine and was not noisy. The shower had good pressure and the water got hot. Beds were only OK but clean. It was nice being able to walk to the Flats, the Gaff and the Back Porch Bar. Very much worth considering in Port A.

• Liked — Location in the middle of town.
  • Disliked — No coffee maker in room.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank intrepid_cat
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2006

I read up on the Alister Square Inn on the Port Aransas website. My wife saw the picture of the bedroom and thought it would be a beautiful place to stay. I told her that they had no availability for the time that we were travelling, but booked a room there to surprise her.
Surprise is not the word for what we got when we arrived. Instead of a room resembling the picture on the website, we got a room smaller than a normal hotel room. Two bulbs above the vanity were broken, and I don't mean not working, I mean broken. There were stains on the carpet which we could not identify.

When I went to the front desk to complain about the difference between what was on the website and what we got, the desk clerk told me, "I can't control what the owners put on the internet". Instead of staying for four nights as planned, we stayed that one night, then moved to the Seabreeze Suites and had the best time of our married lives.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — unclean, not kept up
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled as a couple
7 Thank pdorman
dallas, tx
Reviewed July 12, 2006

We read up information on this hotel, and saw some photos of what we thought were the room, but not even close. The pool is VERY small, to the tune of uncomfortable with 4 people in it. The rooms has cracks in them, the air conditioner took forever to cool the room, and it's just a glorified motel 6, but not even to that level. One person works the front desk, while there are no other employees in sight, even if 15 people are waiting at the front desk to check in. Always nice to wait in line for a while when you first get to your beach destination, huh? About the only good thing about this hotel was the location and how close it was to the beach. It advertised a free trolley service, but good luck with that. I saw a trolley one time in three days. There are too many named brand hotels on the island that have to keep up standards, but this is not one of them. Keep looking before you settle with this hotel, please!!

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank coachphlieg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 7, 2006

Stayed at hotel the first weekend of April. Clean room, refrig. was cold, a/c was cold, bathroom was clean, hotel was quiet. Swimming pool looked nice and clean. Great walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 21, 2005

The pool/entertainment area is set a good distance from the complex, however some irresponsible party goers decided to party all night long right out side of their room. Unfortunately I was situated right next door and did not get any sleep all night long. At 3:30 I called and told the night auditor about the disturbance. I asked the auditor to call the police or put a stop to the noise. The noise subsided for a few minutes then started up again. In the morning I asked for my money back, but only got an attitude from the manager. I also called the Port Aransas police in the morning and spoke to a person called Stephanie that confirmed that the only call they received from the Alister Inn was at 5:30 in the morning. I did find out that the police was finally called at 5:30 in the morning was because another guest had called, according to the manager. I will be filing complaints to the BBB in Corpus Christi, the Texas Attorney General, and Federal Trade Commission. I thought is was absolutely rude that my request was ignored.

Stayed May 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Waco, TX
Reviewed July 11, 2004

What a great stay! We didn't know the area and stayed in Corpus. We realized our mistake (that we wanted to be on the beach) and moved to the Alister Inn South. We had originally gone to the sister property (Alister Inn). They only had a room available at the South location. Great rate, clean room, Excellent location (1/4mish from beach acess 1A), good pool, and the staff were wonderful. The people that own these properties really seem to care that you have a pleasant stay. We would certainly go back.

3 Thank bigpigtx