“Rustic, Friendly, Wireless Internet”

A Laughing Horse Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed February 2, 2006

We used to stay at the Rock Cottages next door to the "Laughing Horse." We stayed at the Rock because they were about 100 bucks cheaper for a week...and 100 feet closer to the beach. We were wrong. A Laughing Horse Lodge has bigger rooms/homes, fantastic owners, and kitschy fun. They also love dogs...like I love my dog. After my first stay (there will be more) I sent them a thank-you-note addressed from my dog. The cottages are quirky, the owners are quirky, Port Aransas is quirky...it is great fun. If you do not like quirky then stay at the Holiday Inn in Corpus Christi and visit the aquarium.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2006

The snow and cold of Colorado made us long for the surf, sand, and sun. We are first timers to the island, and lucky for our family we found the ALHL. We searched the internet for a place to stay with our pets, which are an important part of the family. We landed at ALHL website, due to the whimsical name and photos of the place. Then with emails and phone calls, we were hooked by the friendly, personable management. Our vacation plans were made, and Port A was our destination. Our stay there was as great as the weather and beach. The cottage was cozy, comfortable and met our every need. The staff made us and our pets feel right at home. If you ever needed anything, all you had to do was ask. They would help with things needed at the cottage, restaurant advice, or island history. This was our first trip, but definitely not our last!

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 31, 2005

My family and I have been coming to the Laughing Horse Lodge for years. And this last experience was better than ever. In talking with the friendly staff, I learned that the "Horse" as we affectionately call it, recently changed management and it shows in the small touches they have added.

The staff made us feel as if we were at home. We were able to bring our dogs which is a MUST. Our entire family was treated as more than guests. Immediately our dogs were given treats and their own "doggy" towels for the beach and such. My husband is an avid fisherman and was able to clean his fish right there at the "Horse". Our rooms were spic 'n span clean. I had no qualms allowing my 6 month old to crawl on the floor. Not something that I can say about other larger chain hotels that shall remain nameless.

I check this site often prior to booking trips and saw the other non-favorable responses. I think some guests have missed the point with the "Horse" and Port Aransas. Although the rooms are clean and the staff is great, this isn't the Plaza hotel, or a destination resort community. This is a place for hard-working families to get away and go to the beach, eat Fritos and have a good ol' time. Frankly, I would have thanked the previous guest for leaving beer for me, although, I can't imagine that guest was telling the whole truth as we have never found a pillow out of place on our visits.

Many thanks to the "Horse" for reminding us what a family vacation is truly about. Having a great time with the people you love, with warm breezes and sand between your toes.

• Stayed August 2005