“Great place to stay with kids and dog”

A Laughing Horse Lodge
Austin
“Great place to stay with kids and dog”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We have stayed at the Laughing Horse Lodge many times and everytime it is a pleasant experience. Our most recent stay was Easter weekend 2009, the weather was a little to cool to build sandcastles on the beach but the kids loved playing in the sand at the lodge. Sandy is a wonderful and friendly person she even let us borrow her personal barbeque pit. This is the only place we stay when we visit Port Aransas.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We walked into our cottage in the area, and it was a sight for sore eyes. I was so upset about our accomadations that my daughter and I took a walk. We walked passed A Laughing Horse. The cottages were so bright, cheerful, and clean looking. We walked in, and that's when we met Sandy. An awesome lady! We explained our dilemma, and she was quick to help us out. Needless to say, we moved our stuff in and my kids and I were so happy to be there. The place is cheerful, cozy, bright, and very clean. I was really excited about the way they welcome pets. I walked into our room to find a dog bowl with treats and a pup towel. Too cute! The staff is great and very friendly. Sandy and Lloyd were there for all of our questions. I loved it when she gave us a list of places to eat that are dog friendly. We really enjoyed our stay, and will definitly be back! Thank you so much for a relaxing spring break!

kansas city, missouri
Reviewed March 30, 2009

This was our second year to stay with Laughing Horse Lodge and will continue to be our place to stay. Myself, my daughter and youngest son (11) and my standard poodle, 65pounds (Skyler) absolutely love staying here. Sandy greets us with such warmth and friendliness and also greets our dog, personally, everytime and even provides us with a dog treats, food and water dish, a bath towel for our dog, a bandana this year which was so cool, and most important to me is that Sandy provides us with a tag from the Lodge for our dog's collar in-case there was a mis-hap and he did get loose, that has the Lodge information on it. I am a new user to a laptop computer and Sandy also got me set up with their wireless internet, which I could never have done without her help. Sandy and her husband sit outside at times and always wave or speak to us when we are outside or just driving out to do something. Sandy was very helpful with information about places that are 'dog friendly' and offered her services if I needed any other information. We love the rooms! This is better than a 'home away from home' place. Its the perfect place to stay in Port Arnasas. Walking distance to the beach and downtown. We will always stay at the Laughing Horse Lodge.

1 Thank johnsondmn
Central Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Several members of our family were looking for a place where we could stay during a recent family wedding in Port Aransas. We mainly wanted to relax and have a fun, no hassle atmosphere to unwind between the rehearsal dinner, bride's maid brunch, photoshoots and actual wedding. This place fit the bill to a "T". Sandy and her husband were so nice and accomodating to our group, we will return. We wanted to have cabins near one another but still have the opportunity to spend time sperate from the larger group so," A Laughing Horse " was a real winner for us. Great stay for our dogs too.Why stay at a place with zero atmosphere or local charm when you are in Port A ??? when you can stay where they know the area and are so friendly.

College Station, TX
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This place was one of a kind. They allowed our dog to attend the vacation with us. When we first checked in the front desk lady was extremely nice and had loads of information for us. The room was perfect for us and our dog. We loved the place because it wasn't a party scene cottage and there was nothing but small families. We had one small problem and within the next day the owner made sure everything was fixed. I really enjoyed this place and will probably stay here again in the near future.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2009

My Husband and I went on a quick trip with our dog to Port Aransas Texas and we stayed at the laughing horse lodge for the first time. It was great. reasonable prices, very friendly, and so sweet to our dog. This was the first time my husband had seen the ocean and he enjoyed it all. We will stay there everytime we go now, they are so in to the clientel, has everything written out for you, so there is no thinking for you, just enjoy. They even had list of restaraunts we could eat at and take our pet, dos and dont for your pet at the beach which I never knew about your pet getting seriously ill with sea water, she told us what, and how to treat our pet plus if an emergency names address and numbers to vets. I could go on and on we love laughing horse lodge

Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at Laughing Horse Lodge. We did a lot of walking; I loved how it was walking distance to the beach as well as many shops and restaurants. The owner is very friendly and helpful with any questions you have. I liked that they gave us a list of dog-friendly restaurants in the area. They will also provide two bowls for your dog in the room, and a small towel for drying your dog off. I was afraid of the room being dog-hairy from previous renters but it was not.

Keep in mind that Laughing Horse Lodge is not a fancy place! But neither is Port A itself, so who cares!!! We stayed in the efficiency unit- 5a. It was barely enough room for the two of us and our weimaraner with her crate….I was afraid the pots/pans, utensils, etc in the kitchenette would be gross, but they all looked very new and were in great condition. Also in the unit was a clean mini fridge, coffee maker with Folger’s coffee packets, and a microwave. Everything was very clean. Our room felt to me like a little cabin near the beach. We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again if looking for a cheap beach getaway with our dog. My only suggestion to the owner would be regarding the magazines on the bedside table. They were very outdated, which in my opinion screams ‘cheap’. I say either do away with the magazine supply completely, or provide recent issues.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple