“Relaxing Birthday Getaway”

A Laughing Horse Lodge
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Had a great time! the location was perfectly situated between the beach and the main street through town. It was a pretty easy walk to most places.

My group was in cabin #7, and it was great. a little cozy, but we went into it knowing we'd have more people than space. I was looking for a place for 8 to stay, and they didn't have anything large enough available, but very graciously suggested that we could fit an air mattress in the common area. It was tight but it worked (at no additionally charge at all). :) The place was clean and super cute! Comfortable beds, REALLY nice and had a well stocked kitchen area. Loved the porch area.

Not a fancy place, but they let you know exactly what to expect when you check in, so no problems there. The whole things was just perfect. I loved my stay, and frankly am sad that it was only 3 nights. Will definitely have to come back and stay longer next time! :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jenny P

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had booked a room elsewhere and the reservation was goofed up by the management of that hotel. In desperation, I went to a couple of places nearby and to Laughing Horse where we'd stayed before. Candy had a room that was perfect for my needs. The last time I had stayed at Laughing Horse, Candy was not there and the management team at that time could be difficult to get clean sheets and towels from when you needed them. Things have changed for the better now. There is a new dog wash station (that's perfect!) The rooms are cleaner and the upkeep is better. The grounds have some updates that I appreciated ... like the newer "porch" seating area on the unit I stayed in. Each time I went into the office with a question or need I was met with friendly helpful professionalism. Laughing Horse is one of a kind in attitude and accommodations. My only wish is that one day the owner will invest in some energy saving measures that would lower his costs (like fluorescent bulbs and some weather stripping). Don't misunderstand that wish ... the cottages are very comfortable ... it's my inner tree hugger talking! Love this place not only for the dog friendly and people friendly atmosphere, but also for the attitude that keeps customers first! How can you beat that when you're on vacation? Thanks Candy and crew for a wonderful, wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Choosing a room is key here. If you want it quieter choose the side away from the beach - downside...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank casaminton
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our second visit to the Laughing Horse and loved it. The cabins are super cute and funky. The beach is a mere 5 minute walk. Shells is right across the street. Each cabin has a little outside area for grilling and chilling. I love that they are so dog friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Denise W
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Price to high for the size of rooms, no amenities and not very welcoming.As soon as we got there we were told not to be loud, we could not use the washer or dryer we could not park here or there make sure we take out our trash and wash our dishes.... really? We rented two condos and had one vehicle but a friend who had stayed else where drove us up there for them to say we could not park there was just rude. I stayed here years ago and I remember having an awesome time but they have changed including downsizing the cottages like literally cut them in half. I have to say I was very dissappointed and embarrassed because I had talked about how nice this place was... never again

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank tinyq69
aLaughingHorseLodge, General Manager at A Laughing Horse Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

We always feel bad when guests have a less than wonderful experience. We try to give every guest our best efforts. In fairness, we don't have washers and dryers available for the guests. The only machines we have are a commercial extractor and commercial dryer. They are not suitable for personal items and would likely ruin their clothes if used. We have never had a guest request to use them. They are huge.
The guest is correct in saying that some cottages have been split into two units. This was done in the 1990's, we believe. We weren't managing nor were the current owners involved at that time. Only a few of the cottages were changed and they help those who need fewer beds and lower cost. The rest are still whole.
The parking is a problem only when someone parks in a space reserved for another guest. Other than those reservations, guests are free to use our large parking lot for all their visitors. We have never had a problem with enough parking for everyone.
We are sorry this guest did not experience the joy of this terrific and unique place. Hopefully, next time they will reserve far enough in advance so they can have one of the larger free standing cottages and not have to take two of the split units. We know they will be much happier with those accommodations.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I have been doing our family reunions in Port Aransas since I was a baby, thirty years now. As far back as I can remember, we have always stayed at the Laughing Horse. It is very dog friendly, they have leash holders in every room and dog treats by the front desk. They only charge you once per three dogs which is so amazing compared to most places. Their rooms are very cute and colorful and the lady the runs the place is about as nice as can be. We really love it.

Room Tip: The rooms with a 1 are facing a road. Although the road is quiet, it is not the best for dogs if th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We joined a group of folks here who suggested this place. Big pluses are that the management is very friendly and you are only 2 blocks from the beach, almost to the fishing pier and right where all the beach number markers start....easy to get to.
If you are not a dog person, then this is not the place for you...we are not dog people, only stayed here to join the group, so honestly, we felt out of place.
This place has a funky hippy dated decor, but hey, if you are hanging out at the beach all day, who cares?
Glad we got the 2 room cottage, because the one room cottages were cramped. Add 2 people and dogs...well, you can guess.
We will suggest this place to people with dogs for sure.
For us older non-dog couple, think we'll rent a condo next time.

Room Tip: Definitely get the larger cottages! Single room places are 'ok' for one person and a dog, o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mike-Adela
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We come to Port A about every 6 mths and this is our new Favorite place since last year!
Love the decor and setting, close to the beach & feels safe for a girls' trip.
Always clean and comfortable. check out the site map and try to get a room away from the street if you like to sit outside. It's on the main drag to the beach so traffic pretty steady. Still Nice...just nicer in the back :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends