“The Sham”

Double Barr Cottages
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My husband, my 2yr old son and I wanted a nice weekend. We booked a doubel room at the Double Barr. Their web site looked so nice. When we got there we got the keys and walked to our room. They didn't tell us we were staying in a run down trailer. The place stunk like cigatettes and the floor was rotten. The bath tub had duct tape all around it, maybe to hold it in place. The bottom of the trailer was used for storage. I just can't explain how bad it was! We walked to the front desk and asked for our money back. We were refused! We hadn't been there for more than 10min. This was not a place to have a baby stay!

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank zanehouston
There are newer reviews for Double Barr Cottages

Reviewed February 10, 2008

The only thing good I can say about the cottages is that the beds were ok... that being said the whole place was horribly outdated. The couch was hard and probably had never been cleaned. The bathroom is so small I had a hard time kneeling down between the sink and toliet to give my toddler a bath. It was just horrible! We will stay elsewhere when we come back this June and I advise others to do the same.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank sarams
Reviewed June 17, 2007

We have stayed at the Double Barr numerous times over the past three years and everytime we go to Port A we phone them first. They are always accomodating and the rooms are clean. We like the fact that all the rooms have kitchenettes and Shelly is always friendly.

Stayed: June 2006
DoubleBarr, Manager at Double Barr Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2007

Thank you Mrs. Hummel! We certainly can't wait until you return! I think you'll love the remodeled rooms!

Reviewed May 24, 2007

I read the review on this webpage first,and thought maybe it would be better than it sounds. Guess what, its worse. The rooms smelled really bad, kind of moldy. The kitchen did not have a coffeemaker. The bathroom was very small, you had to be very thin, not to get claustrophobia. We rented a cottage close to the street, with a small child and a dog(not good). I was worried when they left the cottage they would get run over by the traffic. Just to small of a place for the money. If people who want to do good business there dont realize that when you pay $140 a night you should get a little bit of comfort ,luxury? OK I should have stayed home or somewhere else...

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank txSatx

At Double Barr, we always strive very hard to make every guest happy while staying here. However, it's difficult to know a guest is unhappy when they choose not to inform management about issues with our cottages. The coffee maker was replaced promptly after it was broken. Small children and approved pets are allowed here, however we prefer they not be allowed to roam alone outdoors because we are on the main street to the beach, so possibly a cottage at the far end of the property would be better suited for this guest. We are working very hard to make sure each cottage is as clean as possible every stay. Try us again, we'd be happy to show you how the property has improved since last May!

Reviewed November 28, 2006

I have a man that loves to fish in Port Aransas and has done so for 15 years. We started staying at the Double Barr Cottages back 10 years, I believe. We have stayed a total of 15 times and each time we have loved our stay. When it rained we stayed in and played dominoes at the nice kitchen table, when it was warm we went to the beach or stayed in the cool room, when Raymond caught fish we cleaned them in the " Cleaning Fish House" at the Cottage location. The owners are friendly, but mind their own business, they are helpful and will go to almost any degree to help you have a nice vacation. The kitchen is furnished with all kitchen ammenities and the coffee smells so much better in Port " A " in the morning....Our next stay will be in February 2007, we cannot wait....I can honestly say that our stay at Double Barr Cottages is delightful and very comfortable.

Suzanne and Raymond Rice
Abilene, Texas

Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Lovetofishtoday
A TripAdvisor Member
Lago Vista TX
Reviewed May 30, 2006

My husband and I and our dog Whyl'ee stayed at the double Barr from Friday on Memorial weekend until Tues. of the next week. We have stayed at other cottages that had kitchens. Double Barr has the cleanist and most equipped kitchens, everything was extremely clean and you could not ask for a better reception on entering the office. It was a real good feeling when the owner says " The only rule I have for the dog is to have fun"
Our son joined us on Saturday and stayed in his own cottage and loved it. I mentioned the shower area was clogged and they immediately took care of it. Yes people there are rules, but if Double Barr does not enforce the rules, how can they keep such a nice place. I will definately return on other vacations.
Lynda and Ray Karaffa and Whyl'ee

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2005

My brother-in-law and I stayed at the "DBC" four days and nights right after the Labor Day holidays while pier and shore fishing the local area. We found the cottage to be a perfect economical base of operations to work from. The unit was clean, linens crisp, clean and abundant, shower water super hot and the a/c was downright frigid! We were new to the area and the owner was very helpful in suggesting many local areas to try our luck. The price was right, and for two West Texas boys with more fishing gear than knowledge of the fishing possibilities in the area, the stay and the staff was exactly what was needed. I would recommend this facility to anyone desiring a nice, clean, ecnomical and effecient place to stay while staying in Port A. My wife and I plan to make a return trip ASAP.

• Stayed: September 2005
#1 of 20 in Port Aransas
A Laughing Horse Lodge
A Laughing Horse Lodge
#3 of 42 in Port Aransas

Been to Double Barr Cottages? Share your experiences!