“Do not stay here!”

Double Barr Cottages
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Do not stay here. I booked a reservation here and was quoted a price and was put in the books, so I confirmed my vacation days at my job. When I called back to confirm reservations and give my card for half of price in advance I was told a price $300 higher. I emailed the owner but was told she wont honor my original quote. I been going to Port Aransas for 15 years and if you want a good honest friendly place to stay give Connie at Capt'n Dan's a call. She was full this year so had to find another place to stay but she has become a friend from staying there every year and will make sure I call her in plenty of time next year for a room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Greg M

Reviewed August 21, 2012

The location was .SUPER. The office manager was Very nice and helpful!! She Knew it was our anniversary and hooked us up with a local cruiser that had a sunset boat ride with dinner.Very Very affordable even during peak season The Cottage was a tropical delight. COZY. Close to all the shops and the beach. Close location to the local Seafood Market in case you wanna cook up your own Seafood. I would recommend it to all my friends. And trust me they are already asking....Check em out

Room Tip: If you want a lil more privacy there is a cool Pink Cottage behind Port A seafood and it is right in...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Heather H
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Be warned if your are planning a clean, comfortable vacation do not count on this place being that! We were shocked to find left over clothes from previous renter which meant they did not clean the room. Also there were a ton of roaches hiding behind the 1960's coffee maker. They do not put pictures because no one would ever rent from them, we had no toilet paper the room read two queen when what they really meant was two quarter fulls. The decorum is from very bad yard sales. The shower had hair stuck to the wall, when you go on vacation you want to relax not clean as if your life dependent on it and have extra expenses like bleach and roach fumigators. We tried to get a refund for the rest of the nights but they gave every excuse why the place looked like it did and refused. The cleaning lady was living at one of the cottages and as we came back she asked what was wrong with the room she had just cleaned it? Looking at her I can tell why she would think it was clean! I do not recommend this place to any one it is gross and very dirty, I would not want my animals to sleep there need I say more. I understand they are trying to run a business but false advertisement is not the way to go.
They know if they did put pics of rooms they would have no business!

Room Tip: Read the reviews even if you are desperate, we had a cancellation on us and were desperate. we shoul...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Janette R
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Received keys for the room and couldnt get the door to unlock. Received keys to a different room and had problems with the locks the whole time we were there. The cottage was very small but cozy. Everything functioned properly other than the door locks. Check in/check out was very easy and the location was great! Good value for 4 or so people.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa E
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here with my family of four, and we were very disappointed. The pictures on the web site made the cottages look so cute, but, inside, they didn't look anything like we expected. There was no carpet in our two-bedroom cottage, and the floors were all dirty and gritty when we first walked in. The couch was dirty as well. We had to lay our towels on the couch before we sat on it and on the floor to have a clean place to stand/walk. The furniture/decor inside was very outdated and not very well maintained. For example, there was a hole in the wall where the doorknob had hit it in one of the rooms, one of the walls was bowed out in multiple places as if from water damage, we saw at least two spiders in the beds, and the shower was like a small, dark cave. After stepping into our cottage for the first time, my husband and I strongly considered switching to a different motel. We definitely would have except that we had had to pay for our entire stay at the Double Barr Cottages up front and it was nonrefundable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank beachbeez
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I can't believe anyone would want to stay here. The pictures looked great but that is the only good thing. We walked into the cabin to find a huge roach crawling across the floor. The couch had major stains on it. The kitchen was dirty and found another roach on the floor. I told my kids not to touch anything. We were suppose to stay three nights but we found another place to stay. When I went to check out, they wanted to know what was wrong. I explained it was gross with roaches crawling around and they acted like they didn't understand what was wrong with that. Spend a little more money and stay somewhere else!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Angela B
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The property is VERY close to the beach, my niece wanted to stay a little longer than the rest of our group and I offered to stay behind and my niece and I walked back without any trouble. The cottages have had new wood floors put in which makes sweeping the sand much easier as well as brightening up the cabins. The only bad comment I have is that previous visitors have stolen many of the kitchen utensils: pots, pans, knives, etc. (bad visitors bad!) The staff was EXTREMELY helpful in finding us these items so we could cook our pre-planned meals. We also needed to exchange our bed linens (due to a dog mishap) and they were just as helpful with that. I will note that Cabin 6 and 7 do not have doors separating the individual bedrooms (one bed is private in 6 and one in 7). the other bedrooms however do not have doors. overall loved being able to cook and the sense of community was great. Also, you can no longer swim at the neighboring hotel like is advertised on their site. The office staff say they are working on a new 'agreement' so I would ask about this.

Room Tip: Cabin 6 is the BEST
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family