“The Service Makes All The Difference - Two visits reviewed here - rating is for the most recent"”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Beaches Cafe & Bakery - CLOSED

Beaches Cafe & Bakery
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Opened recently. telephone 361-749-BBQ1 Info (not their website) at http://www.portasouthjetty.com/node/63622 including an ad.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Beaches is a newer restaurant in the vacation town of Port A - on the Texas coast.

We visited twice in the same week, and had two very different experiences.

First this is the only restaurant that features Texas BBQ in the area. As we were interested in sampling all the meats they offer, we decided to go on two evenings.

The first evening was very nice, nothing spectaular. Service was efficient, waitress was attentive and it was a normal dining experience. I had the ribs and brisket combo and my wife had the pulled pork.

The brisket was a little overcooked but lean and tasty.
The pulled pork was very moist and tasty
The ribs were dry and small, not to mention that there were only three small ribs in the combo.
The beans served as a side dish were delicious and the rolls were fresh. The deep fried corn (first time trying this Texas treat) was cool so you could taste the fat from the fryer. But i had not had this before so I really don't have anything to compare it to.

So our return tonight was to try the bbq chicken. We decided to sit on the patio and that's where the service started to slip. First of all - a note to all service staff - WE ARE NOT FRIENDS - the first time you serve me, so don't constantly refer to us as FRIENDS:

We had a different waiter tonight and it made for a completely different experience. We ordered drinks. I ordered a craft beer that I had tired earlier in the week. The waiter went into a big speech that they have similar beers from other craft brewers and but failed to mention what they were. He waited for my choice without telling me what the options were. I finally broke the awkward silence by telling him to bring my original selection.

We then ordered food. My wife orderd the chicken and I was trying to decide on the pulled pork or brisket. He suggested the brisket as he said it is leaner than the pulled pork (also a little more expensive) and he thought it might be a better choice.

Then we asked to move inside as there were lots of bees on the patio, no problem he said, follow me. By this time we each had a cutlery roll, a glass of water and our drinks, beer for me and wine for my wife. He left us, did not offer to help carry anything and proceeded inside. and did not even hold open the door. We struggled with two glasses each, and our own cutlery, and I spilled beer on my shirt. When we got inside he did not take us to a table, did not provide any guidiance.as to where to sit. Just walked back to the kitchen. Luckly it was slow and there were lots of tables, we picked a booth and sat.

Our food arrives and he says "So FREINDS, do you know how our sauces work here". Luckily we had just been there so we could shew him away and not have to endure much more of him.

I proceed to look at the brisket and i have to say it was the fattiest brisket i have had. To put this in prespectiv - i have been sampling Texas BBQ for the past two weeks. I would have called him over to send it back - but frankly we wanted little to do with him at this point.

We finish our meal and the amount of fat that I trimmed off the brisket was probably 25% of the total volume of meat that had been on the plate to begin with. On the positive side the BBQ chicken was very tender and cooked to perfection.

When the food was deliverd my wife asked for a second glass of wine. It did not arrive until we were done eating. He then approaches the table with the bill in hand puts it on the table, and then proceeds to ask if we want anything else, maybe a dessert for the bakery.

There's more, but you don't want to read a book so I will leave out a few more details. Bottom line, food is decent but service, well depending on who your server is can be efficient or a disaster and when the food is only decent, bad service can make the overall experience a negative.

• Visited March 2012

“Our waitress was so sweet, but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

The food was overseasoned . I wanted to like it, the place is new its cute, the waitress was precious, bread pudding was good but all of mine and my husband's entree was spicy! If you enjoy seasoning and smoked veggie, this is your place. The coffee is great and I would probably go back for dessert or bakery items.
Again, if you like spicy seasoning try it. You'll like it.

San Antonio, TX
“Great BBQ- Nice staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We eat here all the time. Great BBQ, outstanding beer. over 20 beers on tap. The food is very good. Not overpriced but not cheap. You have to get the brisket nachos.

• Visited March 2012
Austin, Texas
“Good Place for Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

There isn't anything special on the menu but the food was good.

Visited September 2011
GRANGER
“Two out of three approved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Two of our party enjoyed their BBQ, the third meal was just okay. The menu said you could choose your side, but our waiter said the meal came with fries only. They reminded me of my mother's version of fries: soggy and greasy. The prices were reasonable but overall the service was not what it could be. The restaurant was almost empty but we had a long wait for our food.

Visited February 2012