“Bay fishing and scenic trip”

Dolphin Dock Day Trips
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We went on a scenic cruise in the evening. It was fun. Saw lots of dolphins. Next day we went ay fishing. My daughter caughtv14 fish and mt nephew caughtv7. Goog day

2  Thank rudy t
There are newer reviews for Dolphin Dock Day Trips

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Were vacationing in Port A for 3 days. Booked a fishing charter trip for the last full day on the island. Picked DolphinDock due to brochures found on the island, info on the web, and a Visitors Guide we had. We, and our friends who are currently living on the island, called to book the trip a day in advance. The info we had read and what we were told on the phone indicated that they only had an afternoon charter going out every day. We asked what time, and they told us the afternoon time. So we booked an afternoon bay fishing trip for 3. We got in the area early and ate at a restaurant down the block. Arrived 30 mins earlier than we had been told to check in. Were told we were waiting on the 'other people' who had also booked before we would go out. So we sat around for 45 mins visiting. When our time arrived no one else showed up. Personnel told us we were going to wait a bit longer to see if they would show..so we waited another 30 mins. THEN Dolphin Dock told us that if no one else showed that Dolphin Dock wouldnt be taking us out with only 3 customers. We were astounded ! While realizing that this was mid April and not exactly 'tourist season' yet - they had not told us that when we called to book NOR had they mentioned it that morning when we again called to confirm our reservation. Sure enough, no one else showed and Dolphin Dock wouldnt go out. By now, we had wasted the day because we had not only BOUGHT a fishing license for the day, but had planned our day around them, foregoing other sightseeing we could have been doing. One of the guys then said "you should have come this morning - we were full then." The statement only added salt to our wound, so to speak, as NO ONE had told us and there was no advertisment saying they had a morning charter in anything we had seen. They said that another boat up the road from them had a 5pm charter going out and we could go there and see if there was room, but other than that, they didnt seem to care. Again, I realize that they need to make money as a business, but they didnt tell us there was a chance of them NOT going out when we booked; they didnt tell us they had a morning charter option at all; we spent money buying fishing licenses which was wasted; and we spent all morning preparing for a trip that didnt happen. With 3 paying customers and only going out into the immediate bay, I doubt they would have lost much money on fuel...and 3 customers should have been better then none...but, what do I know ?
We immediately drove to 2 other companies but it was too late by then - they had already gone out for their afternoon charters. The 5pm charter with another company didnt work for us as it wouldnt get back in until late at nite and we had to get up early the next morning for our trip home.
So we all were very disappointed in Dolphin Dock and will certainly not ever use them on any other trips to the area, nor would I recommend them to anyone.

6  Thank CarolDEnnis
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I couldn't decide which tour to take our 1 year old daughter on to see some dolphins so we just picked this one randomly. Turns out it was awesome!! There were only two other families on the boat and for those of you that have little ones, you know that is much easier that a huge boat with tons of people! We were told that it was an hour tour, but because the pod of dolphins was so huge and they were being so active, we stayed out for about 90 mins. Well worth the $36 that we paid!! I loved that the captain pretty much stayed quiet for most of the time, if you're like me, then you don't want all the "touristy" speeches when you're trying to relax and have a good time. It was the perfect end to our family vacation!!

2  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I had never been deep sea fishing. My brother & I went out on an 8 hour trip that actually took about 9. We caught more fish than we were prepared for & had to give some away as we couldn't keep it all. I caught a 20 pound Ling, my brother caught a 15+ pound king macarole & we each caught a large tiger shark 15-20 lbs. Great time, Staff was Great, the other guests were great, will be doing this on a regular basis from now on.

Family friendly, there were children, teens, and adults 20-65+ on board & everybody seemed to have a great time and everybody caught fish.

wear comfy shorts, shoes that can get wet & fishy, light long sleeve shirt (or short sleeve) but be careful of the sun.

You cannot bring food or drinks but they do have stuff @ slightly high but fair prices.
Soda & water $2
Beer $3
sandwiches $3

3  Thank Josh M
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This was my first time to go fishing since I was about 7 years old. My husband and son go out with Dolphin Docks about once every 3 months, so when my husband surprised me with a new year's eve trip I wanted to go out fishing.

We took the 8 hour trip, went out about 38 miles off shore. Since I'd never fished before, I was a little nervous. Right away, the captain and deck hand were very helpful, showing me how to bait the hook, getting the line into the water, etc.. The first time I put the line in I caught a huge King Mackerel! The captain had put us right on the fish. Wow, it was really exciting getting to reel one of those in --- and my first time to catch a fish! Everyone on the boat limited out on King Mackerel. After catching my two, I moved to another side of the boat and caught a bunch of Vermillion Snappers, and a few Red Snapper which weren't in season. Then something very exciting happened. The captain had put out a pole to try and catch a shark. It was one that was just on a pole holder and whomever happened to be nearby could reel it in if something were happening. Well it so happens that there was a 163 pound shark on there! Woah buddy! It took 3 guys to get that huge shark on the boat, and I got to hold the shot gun for the captain in case it was needed.

There were not very many women on the boat, but it is very family friendly. There was a 7 year old and some teens, as well as others of varying ages. There were some snacks, drinks and beer for sale on the boat, but nobody was really eating much. We were busy catching fish. We ended up bringing home 93 pounds of fish -- and good eating fish at that.

My husband and son have taken the 4 hour bay trip several times, but did not catch anything. It really is worth it to go on the 8 hour trip. If its your first time out, you probably don't want to do the 24 hour or longer.

Do yourself a favor and check out the local fishing reports, as well as the NOAA weather report on how big the waves are.

Please bear in mind, this is not a princess cruise. This is a fishing boat. The boat I went out on had a ladies room with the necessities, but its not meant to be luxurious. Take your sense of adventure and go offshore with Dolphin Docks!

4  Thank tripcasey