“Lovely setting, terrible service” 2 of 5 bubbles

La Barataria
Ranked #32 of 79 Restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Highway 361
Transit: Port Aransas / Mustang Island offers a free trolley. Island Moorings Yacht Club and Marina and La Barataria are on the free trolley route. La Barataria offers pick-up service from Mustang Municipal Airport and Newport Dunes and Golf Club.
Austin, Texas
“Lovely setting, terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Decided to try a predinner cocktail and appetizers at the bar. Service was beyond slow and aloof.... Too many places in Port A to have to deal with this!

Visited March 2014

Austin, Texas
“Nice setting, ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

The marina setting is lovely. Nice outdoor patio, very small inside. Only about 8 tables. The wine list is extensive. The food was ok. We had a cheese plate appetizer that was very nice. We heard raves about their pizzas and got one and it was ok. Different. I wouldn't order it again. The menu is fairly high end, which seems a bit out of place for Port Aransas. The service was pretty good.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Colorado
“LaBarateria Restaurant in Port Aransas”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I come to Port Aransas every winter and have eaten at LaBarataria many times.
Last year we had a bad experience and let that one go. This time it has to be addressed.
We ordered after waiting 20 minutes for a glass of wine and a martini. Then the escargot came out in a bowl with blue cheese sprinkled on it. Not good. Finally we got our meal, which in the meantime we were waiting for our water glasses to be refilled and I ordered the sea bass. No flavor and in a bowl on top of creamed spinach for 45.00. My husband got a bone-in ribeye which was mediocre and it was not cheap, 42.00. He got a scoop, dry and hard of lobster mashed potatoes with cherry tomatoes stuck all over them....? Then we were still waiting on the
water which never got refilled and couldn't find our waitress. When I called for reservations, the girl told me that they were very busy but could squeeze us in. There were 3 tables with 2 people there, that's all!
When we got our bill I wrote on it that we would not be back and the waitress got zero. My husband talked to her and the manager, who was a very young kid behind the bar wearing a santa hat, never said he was sorry or even talked to us. My husband who was CEO of 3 dorporations was appalled that the manager did not even acknowledge or make a personal apology. We got our meal refunded and after that, I was up sick all night from the fish.
I would not recommend this place ever to anyone.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cindy S
Corpus Christi, Texas
“"Best Wine & Food Pairings"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We arrived for Cocktails and Dinner at 5:30 pm on a Thursday evening and was greeted with a Smiling Hostess and more importantly a Smiling Bartender. We ordered a Glass of A.Bichot Cremant Rose', it was a beautiful sparkling rose' that went sooo well with the oysters that were recommended. The bar area is beautifully lit with Candle Light reflecting with the mirrored back bar, Real pretty. So after we enjoyed another glass of the Sparkling Rose' we actually decided to have more appetizers at the bar and have an entrée another night. The bar area is so cozy!
All in all it was a Great unhurried time! Lot's of fun and food and very moderately priced. If your reading this you should go it's right in a Marina overlooking the pool.

• Visited November 2013
Italy
“Shhhh . . . keep this one a secret!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

All I can say is that this place is EXCELLENT!! If you want an upscale meal away from the main touristy area, this is your spot. Make a reservation and go right away. The fish was excellent and the cheese plate was devoured in seconds, but the salads were what I will dream about . . . really just a great evening! (beware of the wine prices . . . crazy)

Visited October 2013