“Almost excellent”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Highway 361
Transit: Port Aransas / Mustang Island offers a free trolley. Island Moorings Yacht Club and Marina and La Barataria are on the free trolley route. La Barataria offers pick-up service from Mustang Municipal Airport and Newport Dunes and Golf Club.
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Last night in Port A and thought this would be a real treat Ambiance inside and out excellent, drinks excellent, service excellent, 1/2 wine night excellent...however specials of the evening disappointing...we chose the "specials of the evening"...the red snapper was overcooked and too spicy for this delicate white fish, the veal t-bone, was the tail end of the rack not the prime cut and making it a tough portion of meat...my definition of special is just that...special.. a step above the regular menu...we were disappointed...dessert and appetizer was good.. would try again but would probably stay with the regular menu. This is a good choice for someone traveling and wanting a more upscale place to eat and relaxing..

1  Thank Susan C
There are newer reviews for La Barataria

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Ate here with a girl friend. The salmon was good but for $28 with no sides and no salad I though was too pricey. My friend had Mahi and asked for it to be med rare and it was over cooked. Service was good.

1  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Have been there many times in the past few months. Each time the food was outstanding ! I have taken many friends there..and the food servings were large, creative in the presentation and taste.....Wow !! Garlic and bread is always a favorite . I have a condo..and currently building a house in Port A. I try to eat at La Barataria each time I am in town

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have been to your restaurant several times, and every time I find the owner and the help very rude and unprofessional to say the least. I would love to have a special place to take my customers, but cannot trust that it will be a good experience. Some events have just been down right embarrassing.

2  Thank freeplay69
labarataria, Owner at La Barataria, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

First, I would like to say that I'm sorry you did not enjoy your experience(s) at La Barataria. I do remember the day / dish in question as it's the one and only time we have had a complaint about the beet salad. We run it as a special on a regular basis and the salad is extremely popular. It has not been put on the menu as a regular item simply because we endeavor to have only the freshest produce. Since we typically sell out of this menu item, and since we only receive a delivery once / week, the beet salad is run only when we have fresh beets in-house to make the salad with. Such were my comments to that effect to your server and apologize if you deemed them to be rude.

Relative to the cheese, I'm not sure what your fiance had with cheese on it other than either the cheese plate or pizza. Sliders / sandwiches come with the cheese on the side. All cheese is wrapped and/or kept in air-tight containers. We pride ourselves on purchasing only high quality cheese products through our distributors. Again, we typically have rave reviews about our cheese dishes. Given the popularity of our cheese dishes and the beet salad, we consistently turn our inventory in a very short period of time thereby elminating the issue of carrying "old" product.

As the Chef and owner of La Barataria, I touch, feel, taste and test everything that comes out of the kitchen. If anything does not pass muster, it is discarded regardless of the cost. My staff has also been trained to discard any product that is not completely fresh.

Although we try to please all our guests, sometimes things can go awry. We endeavor on each and every occasion to rectify the situation such as, in your case, replacing your salad. We never charge guests if they are unhappy with their meal and let us know at the time of their visit.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at La Barataria. We can only fix problems if we know they exist.

Lezlie Keebler
Chef/ Owner
La Barataria Restaurant & Wine Bar
LezlieKeebler@Comcast.net

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My fiance and I have been to La Barataria several times. We've had a few problems here and there but enjoyed the atmosphere and watching the sunset. Well, this last time was terrible. First off, the food is not fresh. I got a beet salad which was the special and the beets tasted like they picked up the odors from the refrigerator. I told the waitress and she took it back to the kitchen. I went to the ladies room and overheard the waitress telling the owner/chef about my complaints and the owner/chef was rude to say the least. When the waitress came back she told me there was nothing wrong with it...it was made fresh just a couple days ago. She made me feel like I was wrong but she did bring me a plain salad. While all this was happening my fiance received his food. The cheese was awful...had the same taste from the odors picked up from the frig but even worse. He decided to just scrape the cheese off his dish because he didn't want to complain after the way I was treated. Needless to say, we will not be going back. Restaurant is going downhill.

1  Thank kkmuzick