“Rude and Unprofessional”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: State Highway 361
Transit: Port Aransas / Mustang Island offers a free trolley. Island Moorings Yacht Club and Marina and La Barataria are on the free trolley route. La Barataria offers pick-up service from Mustang Municipal Airport and Newport Dunes and Golf Club.
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have been to your restaurant several times, and every time I find the owner and the help very rude and unprofessional to say the least. I would love to have a special place to take my customers, but cannot trust that it will be a good experience. Some events have just been down right embarrassing.

2  Thank freeplay69
labarataria, Owner at La Barataria, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

First, I would like to say that I'm sorry you did not enjoy your experience(s) at La Barataria. I do remember the day / dish in question as it's the one and only time we have had a complaint about the beet salad. We run it as a special on a regular basis and the salad is extremely popular. It has not been put on the menu as a regular item simply because we endeavor to have only the freshest produce. Since we typically sell out of this menu item, and since we only receive a delivery once / week, the beet salad is run only when we have fresh beets in-house to make the salad with. Such were my comments to that effect to your server and apologize if you deemed them to be rude.

Relative to the cheese, I'm not sure what your fiance had with cheese on it other than either the cheese plate or pizza. Sliders / sandwiches come with the cheese on the side. All cheese is wrapped and/or kept in air-tight containers. We pride ourselves on purchasing only high quality cheese products through our distributors. Again, we typically have rave reviews about our cheese dishes. Given the popularity of our cheese dishes and the beet salad, we consistently turn our inventory in a very short period of time thereby elminating the issue of carrying "old" product.

As the Chef and owner of La Barataria, I touch, feel, taste and test everything that comes out of the kitchen. If anything does not pass muster, it is discarded regardless of the cost. My staff has also been trained to discard any product that is not completely fresh.

Although we try to please all our guests, sometimes things can go awry. We endeavor on each and every occasion to rectify the situation such as, in your case, replacing your salad. We never charge guests if they are unhappy with their meal and let us know at the time of their visit.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at La Barataria. We can only fix problems if we know they exist.

Lezlie Keebler
Chef/ Owner
La Barataria Restaurant & Wine Bar
LezlieKeebler@Comcast.net

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My fiance and I have been to La Barataria several times. We've had a few problems here and there but enjoyed the atmosphere and watching the sunset. Well, this last time was terrible. First off, the food is not fresh. I got a beet salad which was the special and the beets tasted like they picked up the odors from the refrigerator. I told the waitress and she took it back to the kitchen. I went to the ladies room and overheard the waitress telling the owner/chef about my complaints and the owner/chef was rude to say the least. When the waitress came back she told me there was nothing wrong with it...it was made fresh just a couple days ago. She made me feel like I was wrong but she did bring me a plain salad. While all this was happening my fiance received his food. The cheese was awful...had the same taste from the odors picked up from the frig but even worse. He decided to just scrape the cheese off his dish because he didn't want to complain after the way I was treated. Needless to say, we will not be going back. Restaurant is going downhill.

1  Thank kkmuzick
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Get the french toast on Sunday, you don't want to miss out on this!! All homemade, not to mention there is a garden in the back where they grow fresh herbs... This is on my list of places to eat next time I am on the Island!!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Went with some regulars and had great service. We did witness some service that would have upset me if we had received the same kind of treatment. Don't go if you are in a hurry but if you have time to sit and enjoy, the brunch was spectacular. Bread and roasted garlic was amazing. And the french toast was delicious. Loved how it was served. The Saxophone player was a delight to listen to also. Will definitely plan to eat here again.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband and I have a house in Port A and we have tried every restaurant. We wanted something new and we heard about some new place in Island Moorings. We took a chance and the food, service, and atmosphere was incredible! We had the Lobster Cakes (instead of crab cakes) and they were cooked to perfection and served over a homemade creamed corn! I had the sushi grade mahi mahi and my husband had the blackened amberjack. The herbs in the rice were so fresh that every flavor came through! We had a banana bisque for dessert. Our bill was only $104 and we had champaign throughout the entire meal! I highly suggest this place. The owner is the chef and everything is served has fresh, new, full flavors, and a beautiful presentation. Our server was excellent and really walked us through the menu since we had never been there. They have seafood, steaks, lamb, and pizzas. I will go back for sure and I can't wait to take my friends! Wow!!!