“Solid Place - Good Times - Great Stay”
Review of 3rd Coast Inn

3rd Coast Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Port Aransas B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Please read carefully....................We stayed in Room 4 from July 8th thru July 12th. When we checked out, we booked our trip for next year. We have been staying someplace different every year for many years and booking for next year should tell you something right there. Let me tell you that this review is coming from my family's point of view and the needs that my particular family were looking to have met. My family could've stayed at a high dollar resort, but we never do. Instead, we use the extra money that we would use to stay at a high dollar resort, to spend on fun stuff while we are in Port A. With that being said, If you are looking for a resort, with a ton of amenities like a swim up bar or cabana, this is not your place, but if you are looking for a place that fits your basic needs such as a comfortable bed, flat screen TV's, shower, quiet, not crowded, a full kitchen, and a pool at a VERY affordable price, then this is your place. For what the 3rd Coast Inn lacks in regards to what the resorts have, it makes up with staying at a place that is very personable, you feel like you matter, you feel like you can go to the owners with any request and they will do it for you. One morning, I walked out of my room and I was greeted with, "Good Morning George!" That is huge!! I was taken back a bit by it. There are big hotels/condos around this place, and I have been going to Port A for years and I'm sure I've driven past this place 100 times, but never noticed it. It's just tucked away all by itself. The Stripes Convenience store is kind of next door and an easy walk, the Best Western is across the street and behind it is a court of a neighborhood. It's VERY quiet and there is no traffic coming in and out. In fact, I left my cooler and several other things outside my front door every night and never feared anyone messing with or taking my things. From your front door, the pool entrance is no more than 20-25 steps away. The hot tub is great and your not sharing the pool with 100 people like the big places. There are towels for you at the pool and they will let you take those to the beach too. There are water toys for the kids, lots of tables and chairs a grill and music being played the whole time. It's very nice and quiet, my family really enjoyed it. There are only 7 units..Rooms 1-4 are 2 bedrooms and all set up the same, just different decor. The 2nd private bedroom in those units does not have a door, just a sliding partition and the other bed is in the front room when you walk in the front door. The sliding partition was enough to keep my kids from hearing me snore and that was huge for my kids. The shower is very small, but functional and there is no sitting area, like a living room. Just a bed when you walk in. If I had one wish about my room, it was that I wanted a sitting area or living room, but it wasn't a deal breaker. The kitchen is big enough so a family of 4 can sit and eat as a family like we did. The rooms are small, but again, they're functional and fit our needs. There are also several bikes available for you to take if you want. We rode them to breakfast one morning, it was great! This place is located in the middle of everything. I hope this gives you a clear description of The 3rd Coast Inn. Again, I want to be clear, if you're looking for a resort, this is not your place, but if you want a place that fits your basic needs, but you feel like you matter and your needs will be met by your hosts and the room, then this is your place. We will be back for sure. Thanks for a GREAT stay Darcy.....see you next year!!!

Oh yeah...did I mention that this place is pet friendly? 99.9% of all lodging in Port A will charge you at least a $25 per night charge for a pet or per pet, which is easily another $100 bucks from your hard earned vacation money. Well, we were there for 5 days and for 1 pet it's a 1 time fee of $25 bucks...that's it!! They even have a bag station for you to get bags to pick up after your dog.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-4 are 2 bedrooms. It says they have a strict policy of no more than 5 people in those rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank George v
DarcyT, Owner at 3rd Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

George, Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review , it is obvious that you put a lot of time and thought into it! We appreciate all the nice things you said about us, and we really appreciate families like yours that enjoy their stay and take care of the property and rooms! We look forward to seeing you and your family again next year.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Be very careful when reserving a room here. I'd stayed here twice before and loved, loved, loved it. I stayed in room #5 which is great for me. However, when I recently reserved room #5 on May 15th for a June 3rd arrival ... my room was occupied and the normally very friendly brother and sister that run the place were unable to provide a room I liked. The sister was especially rude.

To their credit they did offer me a larger 2 bedroom - but I was so disappointed that I took one look at it (it seemed very chopped up) and I didn't want to be there. I was treated rudely and as if I was the problem when only they can reserve the rooms! Even though the people in the room that night were leaving the next day, they still refused to honor my reservation and keep that of the people coming next. I am pretty sure that my reservation was made 1st and so I felt this was very unfair. The owner cancelled my original reservation and recreated it and that is when the error must have occurred. Also, to their credit they did agree to release the hold on my credit card created when they ran my credit card.

The price on room #5 isn't clear on the website to me (I think they charge more for room #5) ... the super saver actually refers to room #6, which is a true efficiency (where they booked me - I'm too claustrophobic for that room, plus you get a lot of noise from room #5 because there is a shared door between the two). The owner told me it was perfectly clear on the website, but if you look at the website room #5 and room #6 are on the same page and only one price is listed.

I plan to try them again, but I will always use my room # in all e-mails. Although it was in my original e-mail to them (using the website contact ... I did not put it on subsequent e-mails although I did emphasize I wanted the room I had asked for) therefore I couldn't "prove" and he kept saying couldn't "prove" that I'd asked for that room. If he doesn't keep track of his e-mails, I don't understand how they can assure you the room you want.

Laughing Horse has a better system for making sure you get the room you want every time. It was unfortunate and very, very disappointing to say the least after a 7 hr. drive! All I wanted was to unload, drink a beer and head to the beach for a walk with the dog. Instead I was trying to find an alternative room at the last minute. Not fun. I rated the service as "terrible" for this trip but in the past it has been perfect!

Room Tip: The revised website doesn't have as good pictures of the rooms. If he would add floor plans and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
DarcyT, Owner at 3rd Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

This guest cancelled her original reservation due to a family emergency. When she rescheduled ,the room that she had originally booked was not available, therefore we did our best to accommodate her offering her a bigger room at no extra charge. However she stated she did not want that room, her money was refunded and she went to another hotel. We are glad she was able to find something more suitable for her needs.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We searched traditional condos for our recent Port A trip and stumbled upon 3rd Coast Inn. We have stayed at a 1/2 dozen places over the past 15 years and this place is now at the top of our list. We have 2 kids, 6 and 2 years old and this is the perfect place to take the fam. 3rd Coast is small (only 7 rooms - we stayed in room 3), so be prepared to park outside the main lot if it is full. The cinder block construction (even between units) kept out noise and made it cooler in the evenings. The rooms all open to the main parking lot, which is enclosed, so this condo offers some security by design. They have a great little pool/hot tub area with 2 grills and a smoker that we used both nights to cook out. They have grill tools so just bring meat and charcoal! The inside of the unit was cozy and had fun decorations that the kids loved. I agree the kitchen could use some rearranging to make better use of the space, and the cookware selection wasn't up to par, but, hey, you're at the beach - no worries, right? Bathroom was a little cramped (I'm 6'4") but shower was hot, toilet flushed, and I brushed my teeth. I could do the same somewhere else for another $50 a night, but why? This unit is listed a 2 BED suite, and since we went with the family, not having an actual 2nd bedroom with a door did not pose a problem, but could result in some issues if you have older kids or are expecting a 2 BEDROOM suite. 2 window AC's, 1 in the rear bedroom and 1 in the kitchen do an excellent job cooling the entire unit and kept it cold enough to stay covered at night. The beds were adequate, but the front room mattress might be past it's prime.......so we put the kids on it. :)

Location, location, location.....3rd Coast in the best spot on the island. For those of you familiar with Port A, they are located just off Avenue G (the road to the beach) and Station St. They are right behind Stripes (think beer, ice, groceries) and you can walk to any restaurant, buggy rental (Bron's offers patron discounts) or the beach in less than 5 minutes. Even IGA seems close - and we had a stroller.

3rd Coast is exactly what we expected in a condo for a better price. If you go to Port A, don't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jeff G
DarcyT, Owner at 3rd Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to review 3rd Coast Inn. We appreciate all the nice things you said about us! We hope that you and your family are able to visit us again sometime!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our second time to stay at the 3rd Coast Inn, we rent out every unit for our family/friend reunion. We stayed a week here and can't say enough good things about Darcy & Deeanna they go above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. The location is perfect you can walk to the beach, there is a Stripes right behind the facility as well as a Whataburger about 1 block away. We rented a Golf Cart from Bran's and they gave us a discount when we told them we were staying at the 3rd Coast Inn. There are several restaraunts within walking distance as well as gift shops.

The rooms were very clean, A/C works GREAT and beds were comfortable as well. Room 5&6 used to have a door that connected the rooms which was really nice but they have done away with that. We enjoyed the pool daily and every evening while grilling out, Darcy was out early every morning cleaning the pool. I also loved all the tropical landscape around the facility as well. My daughter who is 3yrs old really enjoyed riding the bikes provided there to the coffee shop "Coffee Wave". Oh I almost forgot to mention they have a nice hammock to lay in by the pool and it is so relaxing laying there listening to music "Bob Marley" . We can't wait to come back and stay again at the 3rd Coast Inn.......

Room Tip: 1st & 2nd room you can't see from the pool area so if you have smaller children you might co...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gja826
DarcyT, Owner at 3rd Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thanks for the kind words, and your continued patronage to 3rd Coast Inn. You guys are great and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at 3rd Coast Inn very much. Everything was clean, and the room was quite comfortable and cozy. Loved the coastal beach decor, and every time we walked outside, the tropical notes of music filled the air. There were bikes to borrow/rent, the pool was beautiful, and we fell in love with Port A. You could walk right around the corner to a golf cart rental place, and the beach wasn't far at all, about 3 blocks. Bathroom was tight, but we kinda got used to it. We'd definitely recommend to anyone looking for an affordable place to stay that gives more of an island feel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mel L
DarcyT, Owner at 3rd Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thanks so much for all the nice things you had to say about 3rd Coast Inn, and we are glad you enjoyed your time spent here and in Port Aransas!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Things to bring when you come to 3rd Coast Inn.

A sharp knife
Whatever pots and pans you think you will need if you plan on cooking (they do have them, but you probably want to bring you own)
Pillow
Towels
Sponge for dishes
Coffee and Coffee filters, (they do have coffee and filters, but trust me, bring your own)
Island laid back atmosphere
Alarm Clock

3rd Coast Inn is extremely unpretentious, simple and cozy. We stayed in room 3. Just the two of us and was glad to have a two bedroom with a full kitchen. I would imagine if you shared this with another couple, you would be swingers. The room was very small as was the bathroom and shower. Like, head against the wall when, ahem, having a number 2 in the potty. However, so what. I wish they would rearrange the kitchen since when you open the fridge door, it's somewhat cramped with putting things in the fridge. The A/C was blowing cold air the entire time we were there. Two window units handled the cooling very well. The beds were very squishy for someone who is used to sleeping on a termapedic. They are queen size, so me at 6'2" and Suzie at 5'8" we were pretty snug. We used the second bedroom as our storage and dressing room sorta.

They have a great pool area and hot tub. Although, the evenings were pretty popular with all the residents. They offer a couple of BBQ pits which got a work out every night we were there. They also have bikes which you can take and use anytime you wish at no cost. If you want to rent a buggy, there have a discount program with Bron's next door. They are also very conveniently located for walks to restaurants, bars and taking the bike down to the beach is always a good option. Will we come back here, absolutely. You can spend some serious money on condo's and other locations, like the Best Western next door, but really why? Here you can get up, cook your own breakfast or even kit up the fish shop down the street and make you own dinner. Hang out outside you room in the lounge chairs and let life pass you by.

The staff here are excellent, friendly, accommodating and will do anything to make your stay awesome. They are booked almost all the time, so make some reso's before you come down, but do stay 3rd Coast Inn...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jensoid
DarcyT, Owner at 3rd Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thanks for reviewing us at 3rd Coast Inn, we appreciate the kind remarks and your business!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our second trip to Port A, and both times we decided to stay at 3rd Coast Inn. It is such a warm and friendly place! The rooms are small, but they are also quaint, well kept, and you get the sense that you are at home. Darcy does a wonderful job of making certain you have everything you need, and he's a great source of information on everything from what to eat to where to visit. We definitely plan on staying again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alf13k
DarcyT, Owner at 3rd Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thanks so much for all the nice things you had to say about us at 3rd Coast Inn. We are so happy that you enjoying staying with us and hope to get to come again soon!