“12 hour adventure”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“12 hour adventure”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I've gone out with these guys about 10 times now and never been disappointed. Done the 12 hour bottom fishing trip each time, always great. We have always caught lotsa fish and had a great and memorable time. I will say make sure you check the federal fishing regulations before you go. I checked Texas parks and wildlife one time and it said the red snapper limit was four, but in federal waters it was ZERO! that sucked since red snapper is what you want to cacth when bottom fishing.

All in all well worth it, I will be going again. Don't get sea sick and have a great time.

2 Thank jordanmp627

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lots of kingfish, vermillion snapper”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Went on a 12 hour day trip in July when red snapper season was closed. We took our own Shakespear sturdy sticks with 40 lb monofilament line. We went about 40 miles out. They rigged all of the customer reels with 50 lb line and electronic pull up since they started with 2 lb weights due to the tide. Problem is that the weight is so heavy it was very difficult to sense bites from snapper, especially at 230 feet down. The best luck was to fish "flatline" with no weight and whole ribbon fish as bait -- which is what mahi mahi, cobia (ling), and kingfish love to bit on since they are at the surface. Problem is that can't have 50 people fishing flatline off the back of the boat -- since the boat anchors and the current goes away from the back of the boat. Kingfish also tangle up everyone's lines and rhe deck mates dont want that to occur. If it's not red snapper season (never assume a given day is open season -- always check) then flatline and kingfish are your best options. Kingfish are really the only options when red snapper season is closed, but it requires flatline fishing -- and most of the party boats commonly don't want everyone fishing for kingfish. Again, ask ahead of time if the boat is rigged for snapper and electronic reels -- since this is not fun. Otherwise ensure the boat is rigged for kingfish exclusively.

3 Thank Petepeterson
Fort Worth, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good for taking a boat trip, bad for fishing.”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

To start, this rating is not based on the number of fish we caught. I took the five hour trip that was in the afternoon. That being said, I caught nothing, the two people with me caught nothing, and everone else on the boat caught nothing. nothing. The guy that told us what to do at the start was nice. he gave us a quick run through on how to bottom fish so we could catch some reds. After the first stop another hand chuckled at the fact that we were trying to bottom fish, we should have been trying to drift fish with the type of weights and baits we had. I had never done the before, it shouldn't be up to me to figure that out.
After four stops of catching nothing we went back. A hand told us AFTER the trip was done that the boat had maxed out that morning on the reds they were allowed to catch, and we had to try for something else. I felt decieved. All and all, I will use someone else next time.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank bobbleheadgeorge
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Do NOT go to St. Jo island because it is a dump...literally”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

When we got to St Jo it looked like the kind of place that people might hunt other people for sport and then it only got worse. We went around to the "beach" which was coated in trash and jellyfish. Along the way we literally saw a dead decaying cow trapped in the rocks next to the walkway. The pickup jettyboat would not be back for 2 hours. When I called fishermans wharf to politely ask them to pick us up early (because their website description was misleading), they refused "unless there was a medical emergency because then everyone would ask to be picked up early." he said it, I didn't. In fact I am sitting at the dock waiting to be picked up as I am writing this review. Do not fall for this scam which costs $12 per person!!!

8 Thank RandyM19
Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“They call it Fishing- not catching! Sat night Aug 7, 2010 4 hour trip”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

You have heard this before and it is true.

We decided to try the daily offered 7PM to 11PM fishing trip. Should have known 4 hours probably not enough. 1 hour out and 1 back leaves 2 hours to really fish.

Used ribbon sardines for bait and did a drift fish for king, shark, whatever would bite. 34 of us (which is a light load) and 3 king and 1 shark caught on entire boat.
Deck hands ok, but never offered to change bait and the drift fishing was spent untangling a lot of lines, unfortunately.
Best part was, it is averaging 100 degrees everywhere in Texas right now and 7-11 PM is a pleasant trip with no sunscreen needed.
Would not recommend to someone wanting to catch "the Big one" not far enough or long enough at it.
Don't go with big expectations, just realistic ones.

4 Thank numedpick