“Home cooking better than home cooking”

Frankie’s Kitchen
Ranked #9 of 80 Restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Family owned and operated. Dedicated to cooking, fresh, home made food. Breakfast all day! Eggs Benedict, Pancakes, Omelets, Biscuits & Gravy, Grits, Fruit and more. Lunch includes Specials, Fish, Shrimp, Burgers, Soup and much more. Evenings we offer real BBQ by Lance who is a award winning BBQ'er. Deserts are made by Frankie and daughter Joni. Pies, Banana Pudding and more!
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Dumpy looking dive that might scare you away at first glance. Small place that allows for all orders to be handled individually. Only six(6) tables. Be prepared to wait. Trust me, it's worth it. Even after you're seated and have ordered expect to wait. Remember...You're on Island Time! We spent two hours there. Worth every minute. Got a chance to talk to the most beautiful girl in South Texas...my wife. She's a true southern girl and ordered grits as a side with her order. Perfectly cooked as were her bisquits and gravy meal; no canned gravy. I got the bacon and eggs with blueberry pancakes. Don't think I've ever eaten pancakes with real blueberrys in them. So many blueberreys that I felt like I was eating a cobbler. They were so light and fluffy, at least 1/2 inch thick AND they covered an entire dinner plate. A true meal unto themselves.

Lunch featured that traditional southern favorite...chicken and dumplings. Wasn't quite ready when we left so I placed a to go order. Came back an hour later (we stayed a block away at the Tarpon Inn) Got two orders as well as banana pudding and a carrot cake muffin. I think the most beautiful girl in south Texas is in love with me again after 37 years.

Food was better than the picture with a monkey; but that's another story.

1  Thank SouthTexasReddog

Reviewed June 4, 2011

Great little place for breakfast or lunch. We went for a late lunch and we were not sure what we wanted to eat. They made us some omelets that were awesome!! yes we had breakfast for lunch. There were other lunchy things to order but we were in the mood for omelets! My husband had a shrimp omelet , he gave me a bit to try, and it was delicious and no skimping on the shrimp either. I had a vegetable omelet very tasty with the homemade salsa. The home fries were the best, just the way I like them, CRUNCHY with the skin on and peppery with just a bit of onion and a touch of garlic!! Yummy!! For me these were the perfect homefries!!! We struck up a conversation with one of the locals who recommended the pancakes early on but we were in omelet mode. but when we were done the owner asked us if we would try one of his pancakes, well sure, there's always room for more!!
He brought us a lovely fluffy on the inside, crunchy around the edges pancake with blueberrys hidden inside. It was Bliss(the husband was floating in pancake heaven).
Apparently locals will bring their own real Maple syrup to go with!

Don't be fooled by the outside or inside ,its very basic but that in itself is appealing and it is tiny too. The menu is limited but I suspect the owners would be glad to go off the beaten track a bit if you have a hankering for a little change. My omelet was not on the menu but she made it how I liked it! This is one of these little places that offers up lovely, fresh homemade food.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

Went for breakfast hoping to find good food and low prices and pretty much struck out on both. The blueberry pancakes were acceptable, but nothing else. The prices are pretty strong for what you get. We tried to go for lunch because of the good reviews but the wait was too long. Maybe that means that's the meal to go for.

1  Thank Kitchenhelp
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Frankie makes almost everything from scratch! The blueberry pancakes are to die for, & the Eggs Benedict are a consistent weekend favorite for me & my friends. Their coffee is great too!

Reviewed November 5, 2010

For home cooking they need to learn how to make good bisquits. Pancakes were good for bisquick. Bacon was so crunchy and burned like it had been sitting on grill or hot plate for hours....breakfast for two was $30 +...homemade desserts...questionable were ok

1  Thank jagergirl52