“Get the Garlic Fish”

Kody's Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #26 of 78 Restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Texas
“Get the Garlic Fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

I am serious!!! This dish is amazing! All the food is really good - so you can't go wrong. If you are on a budget then go at lunch time for budget-friendly pricing, but still a good sized portion.

Visited March 2014

Boerne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Ordered crab legs. Paid a fortune. My plate arrived with knuckles and chopped pieces of crab. Yuck! When I approached the manager (rude female) and owner (male), they shouted, "If you don't like your crab legs that way, don't come here again!" I won't and plan to spread the word so my friends and loved ones don't waste their time and money at this horrible place. They care more about being right and selling alcohol than customer service. Save your money - go elsewhere!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Abi0987
Port Aransas, Texas
“Something for everyone on their menu!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

I was certainly appalled at other reviews of this restaurant. It is NOT a bar! It's a restaurant!
If you knew the history of this place, you'd understand more. This building used to be on the beach. It got washed up after a hurricane and was brought to the present location after that and sat for many years before it was remodeled.
The owners spent a lot of time and money to open it. The Chef has been on the island for many, many years and knows what he's doing!
The menu is vast; they have grilled shrimp, boiled shrimp, and yes, fried shrimp.
They also serve oysters, and fresh grilled fish. The mahi mahi and tuna are one of my favorites.
The grilled fish is served with seasoned rice and zucchini, and a salad.
My daughter usually orders the Cobb salad, which is a very generous size.
They also have the best cheeseburgers, and delicious french fries.
For those of you with a sweet tooth, Ashlee makes the best cheesecakes! They usually sell out, so we order dessert when we order our meal.
Thursdays is my favorite day to go for the scrumptious prime rib; served with a salad and twice baked potato. We don't go there on Wednesdays for all-you-can eat shrimp, as it's too busy.
Yes, you can smoke at the bar. Port Aransas hasn't banned smoking!!
They do have tables outside if the smoke bothers you. The dining room is huge, and has adequate space.
Yes, the locals come here, because we feel welcomed here and the food is the best!
Come here for lunch; they have some great specials, including chicken fried steak!
I get really upset when I see people write 1 review for a bad experience!!

2 Thank Diane A
Sauble Beach, Canada
“Deep Fried and Dirty!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

When we arrived on Port Aransas two people told us to go to Kody's, they had the best food. Well, not so much. Let me just begin by saying if deep fried everything is what you like then this is certainly the place for you. My husband and I do not enjoy deep fried. Our food was just barely o.k....hubby had mahi mahi and it was just o.k. I had a salad which I could have certainly made at home only 10 times better. The biggest downfall of this place is how filthy it is!!! While waiting for our food we glanced around at the filthy walls and floors, gross. Then we realized that we had to get our own cutlery from a communal bin..can you imagine how many hands have touched the cutlery you eventually pick?? I guess the big hype is the "all you can eat thing"...once again deep fried shrimp...could not care less. No way I will ever set foot in Kody's again, just too dirty, makes my skin crawl.

Austin, Texas
“Good Food atmosphere and service......questionable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

The food was good. The atmosphere is a bar with tables. You order your food at the bar, pay and then they serve you when it's ready. No Problem. The evening we were there, the bar had maybe 7 local patrons and then 4 tables with a total of 12 people. We decided to leave of credit card to run a tab for additional beers for my husband. With such a little crowd, you would think that the bartender would remember who ordered food and who's credit card she's holding behind the bar. When my husband asked for an additional beer, she said "that will be $2.95". He said, "you have my credit card, I'm running a tab". Wow, short attention span. You could not order additional drinks with the server, you could only order food and drinks at the bar. Needless to say, he had only the one additional beer, we paid our tab and left.

Wednesday night was "All you can eat shrimp" and when we drove by, it was packed!!! I would NOT suggest to go when its busy. If our service was awful with a little crowd, I don't want to think what it would be on a crazy night. To me, the place was more of a bar serving food because there IS SMOKING ALLOWED IN THE BAR AREA. Although my husband is an ex-smoker and I do not smoke, it was tolerable with a little crowd. Once again, don't know what it would be like with a bigger crowd that CAN smoke. On another note, the kitchen is open until 1 am.

I'm sure we were labeled as "Winter Texans" because Kody's looked more like a local hangout. When we go back to Port A, I don't foresee us returning to Kody's.