“We did love it and we will be back”
Review of Tarpon Inn

Tarpon Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Port Aransas B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We spent 2 nights at the Tarpon and it was delightful! The owners have done a great job of preserving a truly unique piece of Port Aransas history. They have done everything from the foundation up to ensure the structural integrity of the Tarpon Inn, while preserving that wonderful sleepy ambience of days gone by. On Thursday evening there was a fajita dinner in the courtyard (wonderful breezes) with a very good guitarist/singer. The owners made a point to visit with each guest and share some of the history of the Tarpon. The rockers on the porch are a great way to unwind and watch the world go by. A truly great way to spend a couple of lazy, hazy days of summer!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank AustinTXVagabonds

Reviewed April 17, 2011

We actually stayed in the Flats. Great space for a small group of friends or just a couple. Lovely common space and great rooms. Will be back.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank gracious_tx_traveler
Reviewed April 11, 2011

2nd trip this year to Port Aransas with an overnight stay at the Tarpon Inn. I'm working on getting some "seat time" in my quest to become a more proficient motorcyclist. My husband and I visited Port A every summer "BC" (before children) -- it was actually where I figured out he was "the one". That was 20 years ago - and we had not visited since 1998 until this year. The place has grown and sadly become a bit more commercialized (trip report added later)- but the sweet Tarpon Inn has remained the same.

If you like quaint hotels, huge porches with ceiling fans and rockers, friendly people with a location you can't beat - this is the place for you. If you want modern decor, television, lots of room,etc - Run Forrest Run. We stayed in room 25 - premium queen. It was Spring Break and they typically have a 3 night minimum - but we waited until Friday to book for the next night (Saturday) - and they only had 1 room/1 night available. Just what we needed. Room was $145 plus tax for a total of $163.85 Nice room/queen bed/full dresser/bath tub & shower combo and 2 small closets.

They have hairdryers at the front desk - so I bring my own. If they are not super busy you can keep it in your room throughout your stay. The towels were a bit more worn than really is "acceptable" - but, like I said - it was probably one of their busiest weekends of the year. The sheets are high quality with good thread count and the beds are comfy. Room was clean and the service was excellent. They have water and coffee downstairs in the lobby - along with a small gift shop. There is a pool in the back (we didn't swim) and a restaurant that is just off the back courtyard. (we didn't eat there - so no feedback) They had live music the night we were there. Great sound and in my opinion would be pleasing to anyone - somewhat of an "island" sound. I enjoyed getting dressed to go out to the sound of the music. The front porch is probably the most important feature of this hotel. It faces the main street that runs parallel to the channel and connects the Ferry to the Beach. It's a wide porch (12 to 14 feet?) with rockers all up and down. It is certainly the kind of place you sit outside and meet your neighbors over a drink (or two,or three). But, it's not a "party" type atmosphere where people keep you up all night. We have met interesting people from all over the USA over the years. However, this trip we were more in and out - and really didn't take the time to socialize. Which is okay too. There is not pressure one way or another.

Location is perfect. We always take a walk down to the beach - it's probably 3/4 of a mile straight up the road. You end up at the Jetties - which is always fun. There are people fishing and I enjoy walking up and down the Jetties. Across the street are many great restaurants and bars (see trip review for more information) and you can easily walk to the shops throughout Port A. Also across the street is also the marina where you can secure fishing trips and/or dolphin tours. There is a convenience store next door where we walked for bananas. (we both were getting cramps in our legs and hands so needed some potassium)

Overall - we keep coming back to The Tarpon Inn. We have stayed in the smaller Queen rooms before....although they are about $20 less /night - the bathrooms are TINY. I much prefer the larger rooms if they are available.

My last tip -- we came into town on the Ferry side. The wait for the Ferry was an ungodly 1.5 hours!!!! How frustrating to be 3 miles from your hotel and have to wait for 1.5 hours. Here is the cool part -- husband and I were sitting on our motorcycles baking in the sun waiting for the ferry when the guy in the car behind us got out and told us motorcycles didn't have to wait. About that time a couple on another bike came up and told us to follow them. We made it almost to the front of the line when we were flagged over by Texas Parks and Wildlife truck who escorted us the remainder of the way to the front of the line. WooHoo! Now - that made my weekend!

Room Tip: Book last minute
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cathy O
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The young man at the front desk was courteous and helpful. The stairs to second floor were very narrow and it was difficult to get our luggage up the stairs and even more of a challenge to bring them down. The rockers on the porch were very comfortable. My husband played his guitar for an hour and sang "A Ghost In This House." We stayed in the FDR suite, which was spacious. We were glad to have the kitchenette and we enjoyed drinking our coffee in the morning. We had a great view of the courtyard. Our room had alot of windows and the shutters and blinds didn't block out much light so it took me a while to fall asleep. Also, the sun woke us up early. The king sized bed was very comfortable, though. We awoke the second morning to a high-pitched sound. The hotel grounds were extremely quiet. I tried to locate the sound by opening the balcony door only to find nothing. I opened the closet and didn't hear anything there. The noise seemed to be coming from inside the room, yet it sounded faint and far away. The office was below us, but it wasn't open for business yet. My husband woke up and said he heard it, too. I told him it sounded like a woman moaning and he said it sounded mechanical to him. Perhaps it was a cat outside on the front porch, but it was long and continuous. It wasn't until we got home that he admitted it sounded like a lady moaning. We'll never know.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank twofromtexas42
Reviewed September 8, 2010

They allow pets... is that good? Pets mark/urinate randomly. Expect the room to stink from prior pet "visits". Disgusting.

There's peeling paint everywhere you look. Ceiling looked like it would fall down any minute. Some doorjambs are unpainted altogether. Floors are worn/unvarnished.... consequently harder to clean pet "accidents" I'm sure. For the price- it really must be maintained better.

Why DO people stay here? Must be the location. And the porch. The A/C was modern window unit and worked well. Bathroom was clean, but too small (shower).

This is an OK fishing/hunting lodge for the guys & dogs - but DON'T take your girlfriend/wife until they clean this place up.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ItzaSekret
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Outside of the location and the sleep quality of the bed, this hotel does not offer a value for the price one pays for a room. My wife and I stayed there to attend a wedding and this was truly a disappointment. The price was very high, the room was old and would have been okay but it was dirty, ripped linen, light bulbs outs baseboards that needed cleaning and probably painting would be more appropriately stated. I could not see us staying there again as I checked several other hotels in the immediate area that are much nicer and priced at a better value. Sorry for the negative comments, but the turth is the truth. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed one night at the Tarpon Inn in Port Aransas Texas. The historic hotel is very charming with antique styled rooms and rocking chairs along the porches. We loved having a cocktail on the porch and socializing with the other guests while watching the town come out for the evening. The rooms are small and the bathroom while updated was not what you'd call modern. The extra tall bed was comfortable and it was great to walk to our favorite Port Aransas restaurant. We would go back again for a short stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple