“Friendly hotel - best location in town - Tons of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tarpon Inn

Tarpon Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Port Aransas B&B and Inns
Columbus, TX
“Friendly hotel - best location in town - Tons of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

2nd trip this year to Port Aransas with an overnight stay at the Tarpon Inn. I'm working on getting some "seat time" in my quest to become a more proficient motorcyclist. My husband and I visited Port A every summer "BC" (before children) -- it was actually where I figured out he was "the one". That was 20 years ago - and we had not visited since 1998 until this year. The place has grown and sadly become a bit more commercialized (trip report added later)- but the sweet Tarpon Inn has remained the same.

If you like quaint hotels, huge porches with ceiling fans and rockers, friendly people with a location you can't beat - this is the place for you. If you want modern decor, television, lots of room,etc - Run Forrest Run. We stayed in room 25 - premium queen. It was Spring Break and they typically have a 3 night minimum - but we waited until Friday to book for the next night (Saturday) - and they only had 1 room/1 night available. Just what we needed. Room was $145 plus tax for a total of $163.85 Nice room/queen bed/full dresser/bath tub & shower combo and 2 small closets.

They have hairdryers at the front desk - so I bring my own. If they are not super busy you can keep it in your room throughout your stay. The towels were a bit more worn than really is "acceptable" - but, like I said - it was probably one of their busiest weekends of the year. The sheets are high quality with good thread count and the beds are comfy. Room was clean and the service was excellent. They have water and coffee downstairs in the lobby - along with a small gift shop. There is a pool in the back (we didn't swim) and a restaurant that is just off the back courtyard. (we didn't eat there - so no feedback) They had live music the night we were there. Great sound and in my opinion would be pleasing to anyone - somewhat of an "island" sound. I enjoyed getting dressed to go out to the sound of the music. The front porch is probably the most important feature of this hotel. It faces the main street that runs parallel to the channel and connects the Ferry to the Beach. It's a wide porch (12 to 14 feet?) with rockers all up and down. It is certainly the kind of place you sit outside and meet your neighbors over a drink (or two,or three). But, it's not a "party" type atmosphere where people keep you up all night. We have met interesting people from all over the USA over the years. However, this trip we were more in and out - and really didn't take the time to socialize. Which is okay too. There is not pressure one way or another.

Location is perfect. We always take a walk down to the beach - it's probably 3/4 of a mile straight up the road. You end up at the Jetties - which is always fun. There are people fishing and I enjoy walking up and down the Jetties. Across the street are many great restaurants and bars (see trip review for more information) and you can easily walk to the shops throughout Port A. Also across the street is also the marina where you can secure fishing trips and/or dolphin tours. There is a convenience store next door where we walked for bananas. (we both were getting cramps in our legs and hands so needed some potassium)

Overall - we keep coming back to The Tarpon Inn. We have stayed in the smaller Queen rooms before....although they are about $20 less /night - the bathrooms are TINY. I much prefer the larger rooms if they are available.

My last tip -- we came into town on the Ferry side. The wait for the Ferry was an ungodly 1.5 hours!!!! How frustrating to be 3 miles from your hotel and have to wait for 1.5 hours. Here is the cool part -- husband and I were sitting on our motorcycles baking in the sun waiting for the ferry when the guy in the car behind us got out and told us motorcycles didn't have to wait. About that time a couple on another bike came up and told us to follow them. We made it almost to the front of the line when we were flagged over by Texas Parks and Wildlife truck who escorted us the remainder of the way to the front of the line. WooHoo! Now - that made my weekend!

Room Tip: Book last minute
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cathy O

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Spring Branch, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

The young man at the front desk was courteous and helpful. The stairs to second floor were very narrow and it was difficult to get our luggage up the stairs and even more of a challenge to bring them down. The rockers on the porch were very comfortable. My husband played his guitar for an hour and sang "A Ghost In This House." We stayed in the FDR suite, which was spacious. We were glad to have the kitchenette and we enjoyed drinking our coffee in the morning. We had a great view of the courtyard. Our room had alot of windows and the shutters and blinds didn't block out much light so it took me a while to fall asleep. Also, the sun woke us up early. The king sized bed was very comfortable, though. We awoke the second morning to a high-pitched sound. The hotel grounds were extremely quiet. I tried to locate the sound by opening the balcony door only to find nothing. I opened the closet and didn't hear anything there. The noise seemed to be coming from inside the room, yet it sounded faint and far away. The office was below us, but it wasn't open for business yet. My husband woke up and said he heard it, too. I told him it sounded like a woman moaning and he said it sounded mechanical to him. Perhaps it was a cat outside on the front porch, but it was long and continuous. It wasn't until we got home that he admitted it sounded like a lady moaning. We'll never know.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twofromtexas42
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

They allow pets... is that good? Pets mark/urinate randomly. Expect the room to stink from prior pet "visits". Disgusting.

There's peeling paint everywhere you look. Ceiling looked like it would fall down any minute. Some doorjambs are unpainted altogether. Floors are worn/unvarnished.... consequently harder to clean pet "accidents" I'm sure. For the price- it really must be maintained better.

Why DO people stay here? Must be the location. And the porch. The A/C was modern window unit and worked well. Bathroom was clean, but too small (shower).

This is an OK fishing/hunting lodge for the guys & dogs - but DON'T take your girlfriend/wife until they clean this place up.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ItzaSekret

Travelers are raving about these Port Aransas hotels

Selma, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Outside of the location and the sleep quality of the bed, this hotel does not offer a value for the price one pays for a room. My wife and I stayed there to attend a wedding and this was truly a disappointment. The price was very high, the room was old and would have been okay but it was dirty, ripped linen, light bulbs outs baseboards that needed cleaning and probably painting would be more appropriately stated. I could not see us staying there again as I checked several other hotels in the immediate area that are much nicer and priced at a better value. Sorry for the negative comments, but the turth is the truth. The bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
san antonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed one night at the Tarpon Inn in Port Aransas Texas. The historic hotel is very charming with antique styled rooms and rocking chairs along the porches. We loved having a cocktail on the porch and socializing with the other guests while watching the town come out for the evening. The rooms are small and the bathroom while updated was not what you'd call modern. The extra tall bed was comfortable and it was great to walk to our favorite Port Aransas restaurant. We would go back again for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

My wife, 15yr old neice, 5yr old, 1.5yr old, and I stayed during the 4th of July and loved everything about it. There was no TV which did not bother my 5yr old as much as I thought it would. The pool is small but there is a Huge palm tree right next to it and the alternating multi colored light is a nice touch. It was very quiet and at night we would lay in the pool and look up at the stars. The courtyard is beautiful at night. The restaurant was not open when we stayed and I am sure it will be an even better stay when it is. The beds in room 16 are VERY comfortable and we slept like babys. The bar across the street was not that loud, neither was the busy street in front. We took the boat ride across the street to see the porpuses and it was Awesome.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

Yes the rooms are small, there are no televisions, no radios and storage is rather limited. I stayed here during the week so privacy wasn't as much of an issue, but I'd imagine it could be noisy with a full house. The staff were very helpful, the location is great and frankly if you'd like to preserve a bit of history this is the best way of supporting it. The only criticism I would have is that the room I stayed in had many crosses along the wall. I'm not a politcally correct person and I'm not offended by this sort of thing, it just seems a bit excessive and reminds me that some of the room design could be changed to fit and reflect the history of the place without seeming too dated.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple