“Sea Island One week in #146 - No more!”
Review of Island Retreat

Island Retreat
Tulsa, OK
“Sea Island One week in #146 - No more!”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed this year in a one bedroom efficiency. We opened the door and an odor hit us as though the local sewer was around the corner. The rugs were soiled and nasty (looked liked had not be vacuumed). Attempted to turn on lamp by bed and found it did not work. My husband moved the bed and saw the lamp was unplugged. I then moved the lamp table by the bed only to find an accumulation of food, record size dust bunnies. The bulb in the lamp was coated with so much grease, I washed it for better light. The lamp finally worked. The bathroom: the stool need to be bolted to the floor (perhaps that was the sewer smell) , the shower head was broken, so you had to hold the hose it was attached to to shower then put it down to wash. The sheets were never changed in one week. Clean towels were placed on the kitchen table each day. Trash carried out only one day. This was our second trip to Island Retreat - first stay was fine, this stay horrid. I couldn't wait to leave. And yes I spoke to the office. My thoughts: not enough employees to clean the units. Too much money for disgusting service.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We stayed in #145 and it was a nice condo but a little pricey for what we got. The room was nice and the kitchen well stocked with utensils, pots, pans, etc. The beds were AWFUL and there was no matress cover and the sheets were paper thin. The bath towels were so rough they almost took off skin! The total price for 5 nights was over $1,400 with tax. Front lobby folks were really nice and so were the rest of the staff.

Reviewed July 17, 2009

I checked in with my family only to sprain my ankle and break my foot on some uneven concrete at the base of a staircase ten minutes into our week stay.they wouldn't or couldn't put us into a ground floor room until three days later when I turned in an incident report and asked for risk management phone number which wasn't given to me, nor contacted me a week Later after leaving.my vacation was ruined all because of instead of smoothing out concrete, everything is painted yellow.that way they clear themselves of premises liability.we have stayed here twice till now but will never stay again.I will be sure to notify the port aransas boatmens club to warn anybody looking for a place in next years deep sea roundup fish tournament.

Reviewed July 16, 2009

My family rented and split the cost of a 3 bedroom condo #46. July 10-11. It had a wonderfull view of the large pool and some beach view from the 2nd floor balcony. NOTE: Ground floor units may not have any beach view due to the height of the sand dunes. We were allowed to check-in early since no one had not been rented the night before. We booked directly through Island Retreat and had no problems at all. We mailed our deposit in May and paid the balnce on arrival. Ours was an older, but well kept unit. The thermostat directions were a little hard to follow(programmable) it was way TOO cold when we first arrived but I finally managed to raise the temperature to the 70's. The floors were a little creaky also and no ventilation system in the 2 bathrooms.
The grandkids LOVED the BIG pool! Easy trip on the boardwalk to the beach, great for early morning strolls. The price was very reasonable split 3 ways. The grounds of the complex were very well kept. There are plenty of restaurants and fast food too ( Subway, Quiznos, What-a-Burger) . The local IGA grocery store has very reasonable prices. The complex has bar-b-que grills and picnic tables on site as well as a fish cleaning house for cleaning your cath of the day.
My son-in-laws had a great time on the fishing charter. A word to the wise...book the 8 hour trip, not the 5. You don't go out far enough on the 5 hour trip to catch anything and of course, you find that out on the trip back to port! Only 2 very small sharks were caught when they went, and the charter before them caught nothing. You can also fish from the jettys.
Port A is a great family location. And Island Retreat is a great place to stay! We will definitely be going back! It's a great place to releax and recharge! We're thinking of booking for April for Sandfest. My only disappointment was that I left my favorite down pillow there ! :(

DP

tablet1
Reviewed July 2, 2009

When we arrived an hour after check in time room was still not clean. We had to leave for an hour and a half and come back to room. After 5 to 10 minutes of back and forth the employee finally allowed us to stay two hours past the 11 am (which seems early compared to most hotels/condos) check out time. We luckily caught the cleaning crew as they were about to leave for the evening.

Later that evening the TV was stuck on one channel. The second TV in the bedroom didn't work at all. The front desk told us that someone would have to come by in the morning to fix them. The person we traveled with was in the lobby and told a young man who stated he was either the owner or manager's son our TV was out. He basically said he "knew what we meant as his Wi-Fi didn't work either". We waited until 10:30 am the next morning and the maintenance man did fix the first one and the second never did get fixed.

Overall I'm not saying these things ruined our trip. I would hesitate to stay here again as it wasn't the problems themselves but the staff's unconcerned response to them. What if the AC or water heater had gone out? I really don't think they would've fixed them till later.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tablet1
kansas
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My family and I had our first experience of all vacationing in the same spot at the same time earlier this month. We had the great fortune to stat in rooms at Island Retreat in Port Aransas. The staff there was so helpful and ready and willing to help us with all our needs and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.
Everyone frome Erin in the front office, to all of the maintenance and cleaning staff were friendly and graciously willing to give us tips for highlights in the area that would suit each of our family members' needs and interests. (2 Grandparents 4 adults and two children 8 and 12.) We so much enjoyed the surroundings at Island Retreat, that we have recommended it to all of our Friends, and hope to make this an annual retreat for our family.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Fraddon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2009

My wife and I visited our son who is living near Dallas at the start of April. We are from the UK & had never visited Texas before. We found No. 149 0n the web and read the reviews. We booked for 4 days which was to be a seaside break but we had no idea what to expect. We had a fantastic time and extended our stay by 2 days. The place was spotless and well equiped with a very pleasant view. The weather was changeable but 149 was an excellent base to walk on the beach from and drive to the local amenities. The pool was deserted when we were there but was maintained to a high standard nevertheless. All the staff were friendly and very effective. All in all a great inroduction to Texas and the Gulf coast. We cannot praise the Island Retreat No 149 too highly!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple